New Racetrack: What features would you like to see?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

New Racetrack: What features would you like to see?

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm just gearing up to prototype another racetrack, and I'm wondering if there are specific things you guys would like to see in the course.

When I say specific, I don't mean something like this: "I want a giant jump into a cave that has a missile base and then the car has to drive around missiles as they launch and then have to shoot the exit door which leads to a cliff jump down into a lake..."

That's too much detail, and would require a lot of assets catered to that one area.

I mean more something like: "I'd like to see more wall driving" or "How about more open spaces or straightaways" or "maybe add a destructible bridge"

Things like that.

I will, however, be coming back to this thread and asking more questions as to hear your input as I'm developing it. That way I can gauge what you will enjoy and what you might not.

So, speak your minds!
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: New Racetrack: What features would you like to see?

Postby Queadah » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Chris_CE wrote:When I say specific, I don't mean something like this: [...]

I confess, I got carried away on my Norvos thread (http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=618) :ugeek:

In 3 words now, I'd say: "wall/ceiling driving".

I'm 100% sure with this that GRIP has unique track design possibilities we're not thinking about (that other racing games can't offer), e.g:
  • Driving upwards large waterfalls/dodging rocks driving down with the waterfall on one of our sides on Liddo 5
  • Driving both on a track/bridge/platform and "under" it
  • Driving perpendicular to the ground on buildings walls
I think the playground has all those ideas combined. Lot of potential.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:00 am

Oh, oh, I can do the three-word thing too!

Harpoon Deep Pressure
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:04 am

Aurora League

Ha, got it in 2. Some really good stuff was done with those tracks, especially the "bowl" where you start at the bottom and have to race your way around and out.
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 am

Queadah wrote:I'm 100% sure with this that GRIP has unique track design possibilities we're not thinking about (that other racing games can't offer), e.g:
  • Driving upwards large waterfalls/dodging rocks driving down with the waterfall on one of our sides on Liddo 5

Yes.

And as for too many details
with pickups, stuff to dodge on the underside and fireworks going of as you blaze by, the sunset shyly breaking through the mist and dust, the elves dancing atop the hill, just one of them crestfallen for in an earlier lap we blew up his tree house to reveal a shortcut into the mines of... what?

Though I understand some details with the physics and camera would need to be tweaked to make it work smoothly.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:32 am

More destructible things for me, for shortcut or other way to go but following the initial path (and your idea of destroying a bridge looks great :D )
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 am

I would really like a wide track like the figure-8 track, I really liked when there was enough space for all cars :D
You're just a voice pal.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:11 am

A tunnel that splits into two sections that give slightly different paths to a jump given whether you're driving on the road or ceiling would be nice.

Best way it'd work is just have whatever that area of road is (rocky/snowy/ice or tunnel) open up into two paths stacked on top of one another. The top one you can only access from the ceiling. Gives a bit of unique variation in route and emphasises taking advantage of the fact the cars can drive on that stuff. :P As well as taking advantage of how open-ended routing is in the game right now.

Some jumps up onto upside-down sections for pickups would be interesting, especially if there was a corner involved. ((Main problem is that the cars currently have a habit of just bouncing off ceilings if they jump up into them as evidenced by the abandoned building at the start of Figure 8, that'd need looking into if ramp-to-ceiling routes are to be a reliable 'cliche' within race courses ;) ))

Also, how about some completely vertical descents? ((Like, the cover of Stage II always gave me the impression of the cars racing on a vertical incline from a higher section of a track to a lower section. Those insane speeds :P especially if you put something cool like a big jump over a big sprawling pit of water/lava/something else that looks flashy. (of course you'd need to be able to drive through that part if you screw it up and crash, heh...)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Id like to see a tube/tunnel that goes straight up.
It would look kind of like this from the side, red being the raceline:

The other element id like to see is this kind of "U-turn" (is it called like that?) where you can go left or right so players can meet in there driving into different directions
This one would be the top view:
Last edited by TheOnLY on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:26 am

KazzyMac wrote:Best way it'd work is just have whatever that area of road is (rocky/snowy/ice or tunnel) open up into two paths stacked on top of one another. The top one you can only access from the ceiling. Gives a bit of unique variation in route and emphasises taking advantage of the fact the cars can drive on that stuff. :P As well as taking advantage of how open-ended routing is in the game right now.

Basically what he said. Im a fan of wall/ceiling driving and id love to see it utilized more (i assume well see boost pads installed on some walls/ceilings one day). For example a wall that connects into another path by riding up it similiar to what that 1 pipe you jump in from the wall in rc2 had (i cant remember what the track was called)

Polar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Polar » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:20 am

Unique wallriding. That would be something that other games do not have and what really defines GRIP.

Mik1 wrote:For example a wall that connects into another path by riding up it similiar to what that 1 pipe you jump in from the wall in rc2 had (i cant remember what the track was called)

perfect example, shortcut in the track Scramble RC2. +1

nakano

Postby nakano » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Cancelled Blur 2 has a nice wall driving section; would be nice to see something similar [video]. I would also like to see a jump which leads the vehicle to be attached to the ceiling. Similar to the beginning of Figure8 track [video], however this would lead to a longer time driving at the ceiling and not just driving straight line.
At some point, I would like to see an abandoned city environment, but that would require new assets so maybe later.

Carnage
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Carnage » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Walls and tunnels.
Shortcuts that require air time and/or high speed to enter.
more opportunities for aerial fun.

Basically tracks that require the use of the cars special abilities, wall riding, high speed and jumps that require a flip to the 'roof' of your car.

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:31 pm

A big jump like in the demo track of RC1 would be nice.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:27 pm

+1 for the concepts explained above in images by Raion & TheOnly

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Queadah wrote:
I think the playground has all those ideas combined. Lot of potential.

It would be cool if the bridge had mesh/grated flooring so that you could see racers on the opposite side as you drive on it.

Driving vertically hasn't been explored much, yes. One reason is that the cars go pretty slow (as evident on the Biodome wall/ceiling). But an upcoming track on Liddo5 has a big dam to drive on, so that will have some big wall riding

Yes, the playground was quite well done, having a lot of variety and showing some potential designs to be used in tracks/arenas.

wantfastcars wrote:Harpoon Deep Pressure

So... just a big tunnel? :P

Falkerz wrote:Aurora League

A track like this would be a great bang-for-the-buck, as it's quite fun to play, and not very hard to make. Could have some destruction in it as well

Raion wrote:image and stuff

Though I understand some details with the physics and camera would need to be tweaked to make it work smoothly.

Actually the current physics could easily handle that kind of design, though I'm sure many cars would fall off from bumping into or shooting each other. This idea would be neat, but difficult to implement in a practical way. I think making the "bridge" part man-made and then the scoop being naturally carved into rock/ice would work. Or something could be done in Orbital Prime down the line in the form of a construction site.

Similii wrote:More destructible things for me, for shortcut or other way to go but following the initial path (and your idea of destroying a bridge looks great :D )

Yeah, more destruction = more fun. Just need to make the debris play nice with the cars, as they're very disruptive right now.

StickyBassline wrote:I would really like a wide track like the figure-8 track, I really liked when there was enough space for all cars :D

Figure 8 is pretty much all wide open. It's nice to have the space, but it's good to have variety. A nice balance is no doubt in order.

KazzyMac wrote:A tunnel that splits into two sections that give slightly different paths to a jump given whether you're driving on the road or ceiling would be nice.

Some jumps up onto upside-down sections for pickups would be interesting, especially if there was a corner involved. ((Main problem is that the cars currently have a habit of just bouncing off ceilings if they jump up into them as evidenced by the abandoned building at the start of Figure 8, that'd need looking into if ramp-to-ceiling routes are to be a reliable 'cliche' within race courses ;) ))

Also, how about some completely vertical descents?

One of the first tunnel splits I did was one that went in 4 directions, with the middle two stacked on each other. But it seemed to split up the racers too much. Not sure why I didn't think of just doing the upper and lower, ha

The jump from ground to ceiling can work as long as the transition isn't too harsh. The one in Figure8 is too harsh, and needs to be addressed really.

Vertical descent sounds fun. Like I mentioned earlier, there will be a big dam that is drive-able in an upcoming track, so maybe a straight down vertical descent could be implemented. That, or it can be done in another track. The idea is fun, for sure
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:26 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Id like to see a tube/tunnel that goes straight up.
It would look kind of like this from the side, red being the raceline:

The other element id like to see is this kind of "U-turn" (is it called like that?) where you can go left or right so players can meet in there driving into different directions
This one would be the top view:

The straight up one would work, though like I said before, the car loses a crazy amount of speed when ascending vertically. But I'm sure this type of design could work somewhere

The "U-turn" is really cool in that racers can choose left or right. Could have pickups for either direction, which will influence players to take both directions.

Mik1 wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:Basically what he said. Im a fan of wall/ceiling driving and id love to see it utilized more (i assume well see boost pads installed on some walls/ceilings one day). For example a wall that connects into another path by riding up it similiar to what that 1 pipe you jump in from the wall in rc2 had (i cant remember what the track was called)

Polar wrote:Image

perfect example, shortcut in the track Scramble RC2. +1

Ah yeah. This is similar to the rock tunnel shortcut in industrial, except it's embedded in the wall. Could definitely have some interesting jumps off of walls and ceilings similar to this

nakano wrote: I would also like to see a jump which leads the vehicle to be attached to the ceiling. Similar to the beginning of Figure8 track [video], however this would lead to a longer time driving at the ceiling and not just driving straight line.
At some point, I would like to see an abandoned city environment, but that would require new assets so maybe later.

Seems many people would like to see this kind of jump. You'll see them in the tracks for sure.

Abandoned, run-down kind of environments are my favourite type, but the city we're looking to do will be fully operational (Orbital Prime). There could be an abandoned slum-type area perhaps. Liddo5 has abandoned research facilities scattered throughout the landscape though, so it should be really cool driving through them.

Alright, I'll be developing the track this month, experimenting with designs and I'll be posting progress here for more feedback :)
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Chris_CE wrote:

Yes. Exactly that.

The sad part is I'm really only half-kidding.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Chris_CE wrote:It would be cool if the bridge had mesh/grated flooring so that you could see racers on the opposite side as you drive on it.

Orbital Prime asset confirmed (transparent neon holographic floor)!! :D

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:52 am

wantfastcars wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:

Yes. Exactly that.

The sad part is I'm really only half-kidding.

I can totally see it, a whole track where it's entirely up to the driver at which angle they prefer to be driving at.
High risk/reward for being on the ceiling all the time, etc, only downside being it would need a lot of set dressing and detail to make it interesting.
Maybe just the few first laps are more advantageous on the ceiling, carving a path through the obstacles on the floor as the race goes by.

... now that I think about it, I can't believe I have never tried placing a mine on the ceiling.

Regarding speed loss concerns for the more extreme maneouvers, I'm sorry but details are blending in, speed pads aren't gonna be back?

Return to “Suggestions”