Controller Setup - What (if anything) would you change?

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Controller Setup - What (if anything) would you change?

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 pm

I have a feeling we could have a more intuitive controller setup.

We're going to change the slow-mo button to something else, that's for sure. Currently it's too easy to hit by accident.

Also, hitting the bumpers uses your pickup slots, but this means you have to take your fingers off the brake/reverse and accelerate buttons to do so. Not ideal.

"Blur" is mentioned quite a bit on these forums (with good reason - fun game), so I thought I'd post the controller setup for that game.

Would you rather the "use pickups" buttons were more like Blur's setup?

Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Controller Setup - What (if anything) would you change?

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 pm

I actually have no problem with the current controller scheme, I really like it. I learned from the racing game Distance to have a finger on both bumpers and a finger on LB and RB
You're just a voice pal.

nakano

Postby nakano » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:43 pm

The basic controller scheme is perfect in my opinion. At least my controller (PS2 like controller) with x360ce registers the following:
* R2: Forward
* L2: Backward
* L1: Left fire
* R1: Right fire
* []: Break
* X: Reset on hold. This could be changed to triangle without requirement of holding, though. I don't necessary require triangle for back camera. But either works.
* O: Apparently used for target change. I haven't used this in practice yet. Automated targeting has worked with me. Might be useful if deciding to target a building instead of player.
* Left stick: Direction. Dpad could have the same functionality if some people prefer using that.
* Right stick: Camera (and pressing this seem to do a "jump" effect which is a good button if this just is going to be useful in some case - not sure in what situation could be used, probably left for testing).

So I'm happy with the current control scheme. If I would change one thing, it's reserving d-pad for turning similar to left stick.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:02 pm

StickyBassline wrote:I actually have no problem with the current controller scheme, I really like it. I learned from the racing game Distance to have a finger on both bumpers and a finger on LB and RB

+1
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:19 am

The layout for Blur is really good and it could potentially allow for more weapon slots. It would be ideal if we could customise the layouts ourselves though.
"Hollow the leader"

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:14 am

I like the layout as it is now. I always use my middle fingers for the bumpers so i can use Power-ups and accelerate at the same time. OnLY thing that should be changed is slo-mo.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am

Currently the only annoying thing is the slowmo button, everything else is fine, i got used to using the shoulder buttons but i would be okay if they get switched to front (A for left and B for Right Pick-Up on Xbox controler sounds good)
i guess later on we will be able to remap input to our likings?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 am

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

Yes, we plan on having the controller and keyboard inputs customizable, we just don't know if Rob will have time before the public release.

We'll just swap the slow mo button for now.
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Fully customizable keybinding is a must IMO, along with all the stuff like steering deadzone, sensitivity and linearity.

However my preferable default scheme would be something like this:
- LT - Brake/Reverse
- RT - Throttle
- LB - Handbrake
- RB - Look backwards (note: this should be instantaneous, without the moving animation, no one got time for that xD)
- A - Right Powerup
- X - Left Powerup
- Y - Camera change
- B - Change target
- Left Stick movement - steering
- Right stick movement - camera control
- Right Stick press - Reset (I like the hold mechanic, though it should be a bit shorter)
- D-Pad - navigation through menu (let's be honest, you're not going to use those while racing)

Reasoning for those is simple:
- if you're going to use handbrake, you won't be using brakes, so you can naturally toggle between the two with a single finger
- if you're like me and you press the trigger with your middle finger, then you can easily use the look back while maintaining throttle. Those that can't... well, learn it, it's really easy to change to and will benefit you greatly to be able to use RB and RT together
- Powerup buttons grouped together, so you have everything you need grouped together. Alternatively the D-Pad could serve as a more accurate target toggler, but you would need to have some sick skills when it comes to using a gamepad xD

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm

I instinctively keep going for "A" instead of "Select" when triggering slow-mo, although I've no idea why. Otherwise, I'm actually alright with the current control scheme although I agree that there should - without a doubt - be customizable bindings.

The whole "item activation" situation was really awkward for me, at first, but I guess it wasn't too hard for me personally to get used to it. It is intuitive inasmuch that LB is Left Power-Up and RB is Right Power-Up, but I just had to become acquainted to driving with my middle fingers instead of my index fingers. Hell, it may actually be more comfortable for me long-term, overall, lol.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Yep, customizable controls is coming. Just need some time

I also had a tough time with the pickups at first, but then found using middle fingers for accel and brake was more comfy anyway

Using the D-pad for target toggle would be too cumbersome I think. Toggling right now is pretty quick
Game Director
GRIP

spotter-acus

Postby spotter-acus » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:33 pm

For me, I would like to be able to navigate the menus with the keyboard or controller which, for some odd reason, doesn't already happen.
Also, being able to pause, exit or go to the next race with escape/start/options would be pretty great, too.
Oh yeah and native DS4 support would be good and considering the came's going to PS4 anyway, should be pretty straight-forward to implement on the pc version.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Yes, gamepad navigation has been mentioned many times

Undortunately, UE4 doesn't natively support it, and it's a bit convoluted to implement, which is why it's taking so long. Trust me when I say that I REALLY want it in the game
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Suggestions”