Name that race track

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Name that race track

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm

We're going to rename the tracks "Industrial" and "FIgure 8" to something else because they've got super boring names.

I was going to brainstorm some better ones, but I figured you guys would maybe like to take a stab at it first.

So, any name suggestions?

*Keeping in mind the setting and themes of each level
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Name that race track

Postby wantfastcars » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 am

I... I kinda like Industrial, to be honest

Figure 8... hmmm... Alhatra Wastes? I'd be tempted to suggest "The Boneyard" if more of the track had those spiky metal things sticking out of the ground.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 am

Just posting what comes to mind, will add if i get more

Industrial:
- Mashurita Canyon
- Tunnel Network
- Mining Collective
- Yuri Industrial Co. (track is sponsored by a big illegal black market company harvesting some secret sauce on that planet, has nothing to do with any particular game we know :P )

Figure 8:
- Crisscross
- Nighttrip
- Scrapyard (add more to the scene like the 'lighting rod graveyard' to make it look like an abbandoned place)
- Thunderroad (see above with more lightning)

I gotta say i too think Industrial is pretty neat, and the simple naming RC1 and 2 had were pretty neat and would fit GRIP too.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 am

I approve Mashurita Canyon for Industrial!

For Figure 8, I don't know...The Complex? Because of all the buildings we see along the road?
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:39 am

I like Mashurita Canyon for Industrial too :)
For Figure 8, it looks like an abandoned place because of the completely empty concrete structures and combined with a scrapyard thanks to the black rods somewhere on the map.

Something related to "Area" and "Scrap" would fit, maybe "Abandoned testing facility", "Abandoned scrapyard", or something cliché like "Area 38"
You're just a voice pal.

Polar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Polar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:03 am

Sahrapolis for Industrial

Sahra = desert in Arabic
Polis = city-state in ancient Greek

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Figure 8 has: mountains, pointy objects, lightning, fumes, the color purple, Pipes, some kind of ( abandoned ) facility to collect oil maybe?
Industrial has: sand, mountains, rocks, tunnels, scrap metal/concrete , same kind of facility figure 8 has, barrels

Maybe this'll help :)
I'm combat ready!

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Didn't Chris design Industrial?
So what about "Mallinson Canyon" or "Mallinsons Ridge" :D?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

I'd throw "extraction" somewhere seeing the pipes and oil barrels in Industrial :)
  • Industrial extraction
  • Mashurita extraction
I feel like the overall verticality of the map doesn't truly justify "canyon".
  • Mashurita ridge
  • Mallinson ridge
Figure 8 :
  • Sahrapolis depot
  • Sahrapolis waste
  • 8th district depot

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 am

Haha, I appreciate the enthusiasm about using my last name but just... no, let's not :P

My favourite so far is "Alhatra Wastes" from WFC (for Figure8)

Mahurita sounds too Japanese to me. Maybe on Orbital Prime?

Yuri Industrial is interesting. Maybe Joe could come up with an overall branding on Jahtra for that. "Yuri Industrial" runs all operations on the planet, and could have their logo on various buildings/signs

Sahrapolis sounds like a city. Maybe for another Jahtra map with more buildings. Possibly a grid of smokestacks with a big powerplant in the center

"Sahra Pipeline" to replace "Industrial" perhaps?
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Oh, I like the idea of a "Branded Planet" or "Corporate Planet," so that damn near everything has the same company's logo slapped on it. Like Levittown, but on a planetary scale. That would be really cool if you could get a theme working like that.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:59 pm

The planetary branding would work expecially good with planets that are mainly inhabited to mine or harvest the planets natural resources. The company could have bought the rights to do this.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:49 pm

yeah the idea of planet-wide megacorp sounds good, i really like the idea (it would also make sense to have a racing team owned by that corp.)

Sahraopolis sounds really good and smooth and would absolutley fit to a neat big city like a trading post in the desert.

Working the "Sahra" in the name of *industrial* would really add to the feel that you are racing on a living planet, if a huge metropolis would ever make it into the game, the skybox could have parts of the city in the background, supporting the idea that the city grew on mining/trading and that *industrial* in of the major extraction grounds just outside the city bounds.

now just add a race through a space-port where huge transport ships are docked on Jahtra and you have an overall theme that breathes live into the game giving you a living planet without actually telling a story :D

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:35 am

"Alhatra wastes" for figure 8 sounds nice imo. So does "Sahra pipeline" for Industrial, but then I dare suggest removing a few blue barriers (the ones inside the first building before the destructible pillars tunnel always bothered me) and throw in more road blocking wild pipes instead, running along the track (only barriers makes it too convenient - which is fine in a desert for obvious reasons).

+1 for Yrch overall ideas (we have the wasteland, the pipeline, then... that city?) :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:46 am

Yeah I think we'll roll with the idea of a single company running the whole planet's production. Should be cool to see the logo everywhere, tying things together.

Looks like "Alhatra Wastes" is the new Figure8 name, and "Sahra Pipeline" is the new one for Industrial.

As for the race barriers, they're supposed to look like they help define the racetrack, as they have been placed by the GRIP league. I want to redo the forcefield to look less overly high tech and more tangible though, as well as the Aegis shield.

Yrch wrote:yeah the idea of planet-wide megacorp sounds good, i really like the idea (it would also make sense to have a racing team owned by that corp.)

now just add a race through a space-port where huge transport ships are docked on Jahtra and you have an overall theme that breathes live into the game giving you a living planet without actually telling a story :D

Well, since GRIP is supposed to be an illegal racing league that crashes planets to race on then leave, I don't think having a corp own each team would make much sense.

That spaceport sounds really cool. Motion does add a lot of flavour to game worlds. Later I'd like to add more movement to Industrial Sahra in the form of sand clouds and track flags, flares, etc
Game Director
GRIP

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 am

I like "Alhatra Wastes" for Figure 8, this track always felt like it needed a new name.
As per Industrial, i actually prefer the original name, or "Yuri industrial", or even "Mallinson's Ridge" for both the thing Yrch said about a megacorp would fit the game, and a tiny tribute to Chris would be nice. But "Sahra Pipeline" sounds a bit weird imo.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:02 pm

you devs are the best for getting the community involved <3

i really like the names Chris announced.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:33 pm

I really like those new names Chris, they fit well :)
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:25 pm

:D

Ok, right now I've got the names as "Yuri Industrial" and "Alhatra Wastes". We'll keep those for now

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:52 pm

New track: "Tunnel, Next tunnel, OMG STOP WITH THE TUNNELS PLZ .inc"
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted: