[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[LISTED] Echo and other sound effects - GRIP Video Game Forum

[LISTED] Echo and other sound effects

Here you give us specific suggestions on how you think the private release can be improved.

This isn't for bug reports, this is for features (example: wrong way indicator)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[LISTED] Echo and other sound effects

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 pm

As I think the sound of the game sounds can be a little bit flat. It is not the Sound effects that are in the game that are flat but rather that they are always the same and a lack of environmental sound. The Sound doesnt exactly give a lot of feedback to what is going on.

There are some sound effects that i think would greatly improve the overall sound of the game.

Echo

I think it really should occur tunnels and similar structures - Engines in tunnels just sound awesome :twisted:

Woosh..

I have no Idea how it is called: When you ride past something in your car you can usually hear that "woosch..." sound, caused by the air that the car is pushing in front of it. This would definitely occur with cars being as huge as GRIP's and the spped they are going.
Additionally it would give an awesomely rewarding felling when driving past an object very close.

Here is a video of it in NFS:MW (2005)

Sounds specific to surface

The tires rolling should cause sound - different ones based on the surface. Sand and concrete sound different.

Variety

every time i collide it sounds the same. Some variation would be cool.
Also the car not making a sound while breaking bothers me.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: [LISTED] Echo and other sound effects

Postby Queadah » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:24 pm

+1 , more than echo, I think it was a nice reverb that was added in tunnels in RC1 if memory serves :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Not a lot has been done with the sound so far. We want this game to really sound great though, so time (and budget) will be allocated towards it.

We're actually trying to get reverb into the launch version on Feb 2nd. Wish us luck ;)
Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:38 pm

#inGRIPwebelieve

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm

I'd like to add to this the suggestion to have reverb affect not only the sound FX, but also the music.
WipEout HD does this and it adds a dynamic property to the background music, effectively giving players a 'different experience' every single race. Personally, I feel like it also makes me feel more immersed into the game.
https://youtu.be/y44APXLF-Ik?t=17s

Chris raised an interesting point about this though; GRIP has more tunnels and the reverb on music could be overkill.
Still, I consider it worth experimenting with (and if the results are positive, considering to make a toggle in the options menu for it).

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:20 pm

On the subject of sound effects, differentiating between standard missiles and the Assassin so you can tell exactly which is hunting you would be nice
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

YoungCurry

Postby YoungCurry » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

I would like to point out the sound of car crashes, there are almost none if Im not mistaken, considering the size of cars, it would be good to have a really meaty sound when you hit the wall in 500 km/h for example. Im sure its just missing due to early access and it will be polished later.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Yep this is being worked on soon
Game Director

uuaapeli

Postby uuaapeli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:26 am

It would add a significant amount of intensivity to the game if the ambience would change more or less dramatically when driving in tunnels.

After all, it is a huge 10 ton monster car driving 500km/h in that tunnel :shock:

--Merged post--

The collision SFX would be more effective if it would dim the music down momentarily. That would make the impression of a HUGE sound ('cause it's a huge truck and speed).

Broscar edit: Merged doublepost.

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 pm

In terms of a collision sound... lets just say 500kph behemoth takes a turn wrong and runs into an immovable mountain (as if that never happens)... if we envision both objects to be unbreakable (so that our vehicle doesn't just bury itself into the side of the mountain... because that is probably what would happen :lol: ) then a collision would not produce the bang and crunching rock and grinding metal that we are used to in most games. Here, the usual BANG from an accident would be more realistically replaced with the sound of a BOMB going off... Let me explain.

In one of the other threads I compared these vehicles to an Abrams tank in terms of weight, and I am going to do it again here. That weight was about 65 tonnes if I remember right... It doesn't really matter, but that's what I am going to use.

For a collision, the Momentum of our vehicle will be turned into Energy which will be used to then, in turn, create our sound. The equation for that is E=1/2 m v^2 or Energy equals 1/2 times Mass times Velocity squared. I am using this equation to keep things simple and because it assumes a purely elastic collision and I don't feel like doing a lot of complicated math.

Anyways, I am going to convert everything to the units we need for calculating.

500kph = 138.889m/s
65 tonnes = 65,000kg

This gives us (1/2)*65000kg*(138.889m/s)^2 which equates to 6.2693*10^8 J or 626.93MJ. Neat... what does that mean?

Well, a Joule is a unit of work energy and interestingly, your average house uses 100MJ to 200MJ per day to run... according to the internet anyways...

Also interesting is the fact that, for whatever reason, this gives us a direct comparison to TNT. Internet... you are strange. However, that being said, since our kinetic energy will be transformed into acoustic energy almost instantly, this is a halfway good comparison.

According to the internet, 1 gram of TNT has the energy of 4.184*10^3 J of energy... so how much TNT does this equate to?

149839.9g or 149.84kg of TNT!!! :shock:

That is an intense amount of energy being released... as a comparison... a Tomahawk Cruise Missile is equivalent to about 500kg of TNT... so us having an accident is about the same as a third of a Cruise Missile. That, and this is only at 500kph, but we all know these things can go much faster, and thus, deliver even more energy.

So all the random exploding things in the original Rollcage all of a sudden doesn't seem quite as ridiculous.

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 am

@ atv_123

So another way to visualize this ramming a GRID car (ekhem... rig) into anything would be to imagine a maul big enough to weigh those 60-odd tons being swung and hitting any surface...

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am

Pretty much... A very heavy maul swung very quickly at a very solid surface. If the rig doesn't bounce off and just loses all of its energy right there, it would all be converted into sound which would basically create a shockwave similar in scale to an explosion.

Return to “Suggestions”