GRIP Update 1.0.11.1 is on Steam!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

GRIP Update 1.0.11.1 is on Steam!

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:04 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRIP Early Access Release v.1.0.11 is now on Steam!

In this patch there are big improvements to vehicle stability, AI competitiveness, race cameras and low-end PC performance. Plus, a new track on the planet Norvos!

Here is the full changelist for patch 1.0.11:

Gameplay:
  • Far more stability when driving. The car doesn't react so harshly to collisions (vehicle physics and handling are still a WIP). The issue with the car not gaining traction on curves or slopes (mostly in tunnels) is now fixed as well.
  • Large improvements to AI: AI are now more competitive, navigating tracks more easily and avoiding obstacles/collisions. They also recover quicker from crashes
  • Race cameras have been improved, and various movement has been added to help with immersion and sense of speed. Recovery is also more intuitive.
Levels:
  • New Racetrack set on the planet Norvos!
  • Transport: Added more detailed structures (still WIP), improved lighting overall
  • Yuri Industrial: Added some meshes, improved lighting overall
  • Basin/Biodome/Festive: Improved lighting
Visual:
  • Cinematic/recap cameras are improved, with more dynamic angles and sweeping shots
  • Greatly improved the small tunnel asset in Jahtra tracks
  • Cars now have visibly sandy/dirty/snowy tires when on terrain
  • Updated starting gate to be more detailed
Pickups:
  • Missile navigation has been improved, with them more aptly avoiding environmental hazards
Audio:
  • New music track! "Pragmatic - Going Down"
Optimization/fixes:
  • Optimized vehicle meshes, all particle effects and many level assets. Performance on lower spec machines should be much better now
  • The incoming missile indicator is now a flashing icon above the speedo, rather than the borders of the screen turning red
  • Fixed shield staying in world when car is destroyed. Also, two shields now cannot be picked up at the same time.

Coming in the next few months:
  • Pick-up balancing
  • Calming vehicle vs environment collisions
  • A new vehicle from the "Cygon" manufacturer
  • Completely redesigned menu with much better setup and functionality
  • Basic vehicle customization
  • An additional weapon
  • Additional racetracks on Liddo5 and Jahtra
  • Multiplayer!

As always, we'd love to hear your feedback. If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum (be sure to check the bugs and crashes lists before posting):
forum.cagedelement.com

Or visit the GRIP discussions page on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/396900/discussions/

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!

ImageImageImageImage

Copyright © 2016 Caged Element, All rights reserved.
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: GRIP Update 1.0.11.1 is on Steam!

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:09 pm

If you guys could rate up the patch on Steam that would help, thanks
Game Director
GRIP

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Chris_CE wrote:If you guys could rate up the patch on Steam that would help, thanks

You made a mistake on Steam, you said it's for the private branch :p
Last edited by Similii on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Any differences between 11.1 and 11.0 (the private branch update from yesterday)?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:34 pm

Changes in this latest patch from the private one:

• Norvos terrain smoother in a bunch of places
  • Fixed issue with Norvos checkpoints not registering
  • Added more signage to Norvos
  • Rob improved the cinematic cameras so that you have control over zoom and it targets events like explosions

Similii wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:If you guys could rate up the patch on Steam that would help, thanks

You made a mistake on Steam, you said it's for the private branch :p

Fixed. Thanks
Game Director
GRIP

twisted

Postby twisted » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:58 pm

looks like good fun. will give it a try this evening. Good job guys! :)

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Cars still dramatically lose maneuverability and steering ability while accelerating. Is it approved feature or just temporary imperfection?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Cheshire wrote:Cars still dramatically lose maneuverability and steering ability while accelerating. Is it approved feature or just temporary imperfection?

Did you make sure to try tweaking steering speed and sensitivity in the settings ?
Ryu made a good post about this:
https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3473#p14046
From here on, there's very little thing I think the devs should modify to the driving (I'm close to the "touch nothing" camp). Also, have you tried skidding ? :)

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Queadah wrote:Did you make sure to try tweaking steering speed and sensitivity in the settings ?

With how stable and responsive the cars are now, I start to think that guy is just a troll.

Aside from the obvious physics related worse cornering while under acceleration when it comes to cars (differential closes, velocity increases etc.) the cars in GRIP are perfectly manouverable and steerable at all times. I honestly cannot tell what that guy is on about. Maybe time to stop smoking something? xD

Time to sound like a noob... how you rate a patch on Steam? I swear, I looked everywhere where there was an "update" written. I'm most likely blind, I can agree on that.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:08 pm

How would that help? What difference does the number under the News make?

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Ryu Makkuro wrote:

Time to sound like a noob... how you rate a patch on Steam? I swear, I looked everywhere where there was an "update" written. I'm most likely blind, I can agree on that.

These are the ways of looking at the news that i know of:

1. Steam Library Menu Game selected and there clicking on "Read more" Down at the bottom you can rate up or down.

2. Steam Library Menu Game selected and there clicking on "News" on the right side. For whatever reason comments are not shown here and rating is not possible.

3. Steam Library Menu Game selected and there clicking on "community hub" and than on the patch news. Now Rating is possible.

4. Steam Library Menu Game selected and there clicking on "community hub", "Discussions" or "Community Guides" and than on the top on "News" and than on the patch news. Now Rating is possible.

BlazeHedgehog

Postby BlazeHedgehog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi! I'm registering here to provide feedback. I'll apologize in advance if any of the feedback I ever give gets too back-seat-game-design-y, as I am also an indie developer (though one who as of yet has not been published anywhere, so whatever)

Cars definitely feel a little easier to handle now, yeah! Road traction is better, but there are still a few too many places where my vehicle gets tossed in to the air at weird angles (and, often times, collides with something in the air, like a pipe or a rocky outcropping). But I'm definitely feeling better about this.

The new CPU AI is definitely tons smarter, but that also great helps highlight moments where I'm thrown in to the sky and land in a funny direction. On some tracks, the CPU racers actually started to lap me because I was trying to get a handle on the new controls. That being said, by the time I made it down the track list to Alhatra Wastes, I actually managed to come in first on that race, which I think speaks well of the improvements made to steering.

If I could make a suggestion: I don't like that most of the weapons take a second or two to disappear from the weapon display. Until their icon is completely gone, you can't pick up a new weapon. I found myself holding on to something like a mine and thinking "Oh I should get something else" and dumping it two feet before the next weapon pickup, driving through the pickup, and not getting anything because the HUD element wasn't finished fading out yet. I really want to be able to dump an item and pick up the next one as instantly as humanly possible (or, at least, where it makes sense, like with the EMP, mines and missiles).

I'm also not a huge fan of how easily the blue shell missile can drift in to walls before it targets the guy in 1st and takes off properly. On the other hand, the time I spent in 1st on Alhatra, I got three of those missiles in a row, so maybe it's not the worst thing in the world that they require a bit of finesse and a clean section of track for a successful launch.

Also, I miss being able to double fist items like in Rollcage. By that I mean, like... get two boosts, pop both of them at the same time, and get a double ultra-boost. Things like that. With the way the boost works in GRIP that might not actually be possible, but I think there's merit in the idea of getting two of the same thing and it becoming a more powerful singular version if you hit both bumpers together. But that's at the extreme end of pie-in-the-sky suggestions.

Looking forward to the next update!

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Django wrote:1. Steam Library Menu Game selected and there clicking on "Read more" Down at the bottom you can rate up or down.

Much appreciate :)

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:51 am

I absolutely love the new map! :D I love how wide it is, it looks stunning and it has a lot of different paths you can take, easily my new favorite map!
Well done with the car handling btw, driving feels almost flawless :)

Hope you can manage to get some better marketing when multiplayer hits, we'll try to hype the game up too!
You're just a voice pal.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:21 am

Done. Also, the EMP is still marked as "coming soon" under the "How to play" ingame tab ;)

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 am

Great update guys!
Driving is smoother now, and visually it's just awesome. The Norvos track is really beautiful, it's very different from the others.
Well done. 8-)

twisted

Postby twisted » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am

I agree with others, the tweaks to the handling is a huge improvement. I almost wouldn't touch it, it's near perfect!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Cheshire wrote:Cars still dramatically lose maneuverability and steering ability while accelerating. Is it approved feature or just temporary imperfection?

Are you referring to the tires spinning when accelerating from a stop? This has been in the game since the beginning, and it's to give the cars a larger sense of weight

Ryu Makkuro wrote:With how stable and responsive the cars are now, I start to think that guy is just a troll.

Aside from the obvious physics related worse cornering while under acceleration when it comes to cars (differential closes, velocity increases etc.) the cars in GRIP are perfectly manouverable and steerable at all times. I honestly cannot tell what that guy is on about. Maybe time to stop smoking something? xD

How good the driving is is subjective, so he could be onto something

Django wrote:How would that help? What difference does the number under the News make?

Just helps confirm to the public that the patch is a good one, and a step forward not backward. At least that's how I see it
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:27 pm

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Cars definitely feel a little easier to handle now, yeah! Road traction is better, but there are still a few too many places where my vehicle gets tossed in to the air at weird angles (and, often times, collides with something in the air, like a pipe or a rocky outcropping). But I'm definitely feeling better about this.

If I could make a suggestion: I don't like that most of the weapons take a second or two to disappear from the weapon display. Until their icon is completely gone, you can't pick up a new weapon. I found myself holding on to something like a mine and thinking "Oh I should get something else" and dumping it two feet before the next weapon pickup, driving through the pickup, and not getting anything because the HUD element wasn't finished fading out yet. I really want to be able to dump an item and pick up the next one as instantly as humanly possible (or, at least, where it makes sense, like with the EMP, mines and missiles).

I'm also not a huge fan of how easily the blue shell missile can drift in to walls before it targets the guy in 1st and takes off properly. On the other hand, the time I spent in 1st on Alhatra, I got three of those missiles in a row, so maybe it's not the worst thing in the world that they require a bit of finesse and a clean section of track for a successful launch.

Also, I miss being able to double fist items like in Rollcage. By that I mean, like... get two boosts, pop both of them at the same time, and get a double ultra-boost. Things like that. With the way the boost works in GRIP that might not actually be possible, but I think there's merit in the idea of getting two of the same thing and it becoming a more powerful singular version if you hit both bumpers together. But that's at the extreme end of pie-in-the-sky suggestions.

Looking forward to the next update!

Hey Blaze, welcome to the forum

We haven't done much to help calm the collisions with the environment yet, but that's on the list. No worries, we're on top of it

Having the pickups disappear as opposed to "fade-out" has been spoken of multiple times, but i think it comes down to preference. Some like the strategic element of it, some don't. I don't mind it, but it has frustrated me a few times. Maybe I'll make a poll for this

Assassin is supposed to be tactically fired, as it's an easy weapon to use in general. So I think making it mandatory to shoot it in the right space is a good thing, though sometimes it does hit stuff when it shouldn't

Pickup stacking is certainly coming, we just havent implemented it yet ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:31 pm

So glad to see such positive feedback about the game. Rob no doubt will be happy about it as well, as he's poured a lot of sweat and shed a lot of blood to get the physics to where they are. He's the true physics hero

StickyBassline wrote:Hope you can manage to get some better marketing when multiplayer hits, we'll try to hype the game up too!

We're holding off on marketing a bit until multiplayer is in (along with more finalized tracks), but promoting the game right now can't hurt, as it's in a great state.

Queadah wrote:Done. Also, the EMP is still marked as "coming soon" under the "How to play" ingame tab ;)

Thanks, I'll change this
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Announcements”