[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
GRIP Update v.1.1.0 is now on Steam! - Page 2 - GRIP Video Game Forum

GRIP Update v.1.1.0 is now on Steam!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: GRIP Update v.1.1.0 is now on Steam!

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Game Director

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Django » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Time to give my 2cents.

About Carkour i agree with 0Blueaura. I do love that its there but it definatly needs more polish. I also liked the dessert rocks more as a background. But hey at some point you have to deliver that jungle, wonder how it looks then. Maybe it also felt not so round because the music just dont wanted to start in carkour.

Enough of that its very WIP anyway.

So, what i really love about this upgrade is: 1. the new menu and the garage (needs some preselected colours).

2. Also the superbowl (can we have more of those? :) ) I managed to jump from the bottom directly to the ceiling which was pretty cool. some more plants hanging down the ceiling would look awesome and some water coming down somewhere.

3. FIC is also much better now.

And i was happy as a unicorne when i saw the "game over insert coin to continue" text.
Last edited by Django on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sudden Silent
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby The Sudden Silent » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:36 pm

no idea what happen on Biodome. Level wont start its freezing on loading screen/crash. Last night i hear 1 time error sound on biodome loading screen.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm

So, after trying a bit the new update (but not as much as i would have wanted to, thanks to work^^), the first impression is really impressive, you've done a really great work guys, the tracks look better than ever, and the handling is great as well.

But there are indeed a few bad things to be said:
I'm not sure if someone else has the problem, but on this new build the music ingame doesn't work anymore. The menu music is fine, and in the Audio menu when i press Play i can perfectly listen to every song, but when i launch a race (or any other game) there are only sound effects.
So i tried to add a few personal musics to the jukebox and some work (and some do not) but then i only get to hear one song during a race, and when it ends the game replays the same song and does not go to another one.

As The Sudden Silent said, the Garage menu should be accessible from the race selection menu as well.
And there should be preselected colours for the cars too.

Now that it's said, let's talk about the positive part! :D
I really love the new car: the Cyclone is really cool to drive, and visually astounding. Kudos for this!
The new Superbowl track is a good bit of fun, it reminds great memories from Rollcage.
Car physics is better, and thank you so much for modifying the camera when we look on the sides or behind us, it's really nice to finally be able to see our car when we do (besides, it allows us to admire the car from every angle). ;)
And the tracks and arenas are nicer than before, this game is getting better with every new update.
Congratulations guys ! And thanks a lot for all this.

kerikeron
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby kerikeron » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 pm

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:33 pm

maybe a special car for carcour that we will unlock after finishing all levels with gold medal? :D

twisted

Postby twisted » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:26 am

Really enjoy the update so far. Grip-wise, I think it's safe to say you reached a level where the car handles perfectly fine... I wouldn't change anything except, well a couple of things: the landings, car climbing the environments, car collisions and collision issues.

The biggest issue being car climbing the environments... I don't understand why we should be able to drive on some steep mountains without having them highly impacting the car power. I noticed I can climb on those mountains very easily even at low speed and it becomes an issue when you hit them at full speed... It's like going from Rollcage to a very frustrating Ping pong game where you don't control the bouncing ball anymore hitting each mountains of the scenery. Why don't you just activate wall climbing on the only places that matter in-game... loops and tunnels? I think that would fix a lot of problems.

- Also the camera get very close to the car sometimes it's hard to see where you ended up.

- On FIC outpost, I can go through some rocks of the mountains at high speed, it seems collision is not assigned to them.

- I think the shocks should absorb more the impacts when landing because the cars are still unstable, like if the new amazing car physics is not applied to landings... feels like the first builds. By unstable, I mean that we can lose control easily.

- Lastly, the collisions with other cars could be improved because we lose too much speed and control when hitting them which is frustrating.

Other minor improvements that could be done:

- Garage should be available everywhere to change car, not only in main menu.

- Selectable presets colors/skins for each car would be cool.

- Ability to rotate car faster or slower with mouse scroll in garage, as well as stop it.

I think that's all.

The update is amazing!

Cheers.

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:20 pm

This new look for the menus (and the car customization, ahhhhhh...~) is personally pleasing to my eyes. Although I have to say, I think having motion in the background added a positive-something to the aesthetic of it all.

But I like it!

_______

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 am

What does the "auto" option mean in the engine power setting? It automatically selects the power? Based on what?

Small side note: You might want to change the category names back to medium, high, wild because nobody wants to drive as "low" engine power (might aswell call it "moped" or "pussy speeds", or was that your point, to encourage people to not select "low"?) ;D

remm

Postby remm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:20 am

Carkour feedback:

I'm really pleased you're bringing back the spirit of Scramble. The Carkour mode pushes the boundaries, which also brings out the flaws in the current control system. I'm coming at this from a viewpoint of what was possible in Rollcage, and so what I imagine should be possible in GRIP.

Firstly, there is the lack of ability to turn hard that the cars have. The Line Jump map showed this the best where you can land sideways and would expect to, but fail to turn immediately after landing. I found that with any real speed, I couldn't correct my car simply by turning. Maybe I could describe it as understeer, but an arcade style game should have, or have to worry about that. Disappointing control like this is what every other modern racer seems to have. In Rollcage I would have driven off in the direction my car was pointing.
Example: http://gfycat.com/ImpossibleEsteemedBarracuda

Secondly, the camera isn't as smooth as it could be. Jumpity shows this off well, where the camera twitches as it passes over the 180 degrees. In some of the other flip-flop style maps like Slide, the camera will also reset if it can't rotate to the new angle, which is incredibly disorientating and difficult to follow.
I went back to check Rollcage Stage 2, and the camera would always rotate to follow the car even if you do a perfect 180 degree flip. Always smooth. I captured this clip with the Genesis on Hydroponics, which shows some qualities Rollcage excelled at - which I think GRIP should aim for - in terms of camera, speed and control.
https://gfycat.com/ElectricVillainousFrillneckedlizard

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 am

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 pm

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:29 pm

as much as a like concept of arcade and grip, I always hate to hear it as an excuse to exclude most of the ideas that enrich gameplay. we got everything good as it is now, but we're not braindead and no one whos playing grip should be. :d there could always be a quickstart button for a race or an option to toggle tire simulation, less grip and less speed on certain floors is not hard to code I believe?

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 pm

I don't really see how different handling for different tyres would add much to the game. There is no customisation that affects performance. Why would it be different for tyres? Wouldn't it make the "grip" stat pointless?

Yes the physics in the game look believable enough for the most part, but it is obviously nowhere near realistic, so why add an element to it that is mostly used simulation or at least semi-realistic games? There is a fine line between adding depth or adding unnecessary complexity. To me it would most likely feel like it was put there just because "Grip needs more depth" -Taped on-
Keeping things simple in very fast paced games is usually a good idea.

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm a big simulation fan but I still don't think Grip needs to have variable stats for tire choice because of the unnecessary complexity it would add to game balance.

CE has enough on their list of things to do just to get Grip in a feature-complete state, we don't need to burden the game with complex game balance issues, ESPECIALLY if it's going to take multiplayer competition seriously.

Here's how I look at it, and how I'd keep my suspension of disbelief on the topic:

Often times the wheels are seen as parts of a car, but in Grip, in terms of engineering, the car would be a part of the wheels, so the design of the tires and the wheel assembly would be intrinsic to the design of the entire chassis. By changing the tires, you'd be altering the entire design of the car, and thus it's best to leave them as they were designed for the whole vehicle.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 pm

I see grip as a game that needs to take cars grip more in-depth :d

I was thinking about tires as I remembered there was a thread about "car customization" in terms of performance, and I know that grip was meant to be much more like first rollcage, less cars but bigger balance, so performance parts were thrown away I suppose.

tires are just one part of the whole thing of "tuning" that to me, seems reasonable as we drive 400 ton machines on many difference sets of terrain.

I thought of choosing tires as a last step before race (if we toggle tire simulation button to ON) so we can have a "garage" to pop up with the car we want to pick, and tires to choose that change grip bar to either green +grip and red -grip for each type of tire against corresponding track.

this mode would be locked to ON if we would play campaign. (and would NOT show if the grip bar rises or decrease)

but I might have wanted too much. I agree and disagree to my own statement :^D

zephiris

Postby zephiris » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:28 pm

i see a certain potential as a competitive arcade game here. for that matter, i say: keep it simple.

i too am a big simulation fan, and i would love me some very fine tuning of components in a game like this, but this is not the game i am envisioning, it's grip, an arcade combat racing game -> start game, choose car, go!

my personal preference from the perspective of a simulation fan would obviously be: start game, spend 3 hours tweaking and testing a car's performance, then enter a competition and get smashed by my competitor's excel warrior skills... ;)

jk... but yeah, keep it simple i say... the cars should be an already fine tuned performance pack where you may choose cosmetics... if there are too many performance tuning options from the beginning, poor developers are going to have a hell of a time fixing "bugs" appearing because of a million possible combinations of things instead of finishing the game... i dont think we really want that... i dont, not yet... i say, first, get it done the way you guys envisioned it, THEN if time and resources allow, well, add a mode or two for specific tweakings that can be made from community requests/ideas/brainstorms/whatever... then i'll bring out my big guns suggestions... ;)
Oh, yeah... Back in the Cage...

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:45 pm

+1

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Return to “Announcements”