GRIP Private Multiplayer testing is now underway!!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

GRIP Private Multiplayer testing is now underway!!

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:37 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRIP MULTIPLAYER testing is now available in the Private branch on Steam!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're excited to have our dedicated community finally be able to play the game online with friends and strangers alike. If you're able to jump on and test the game this week, that would really help us, as we're trying to get a public version out ASAP!

This testing phase is exclusive to people who backed our website funding campaign.

(If you haven't accessed the private branch for GRIP on Steam yet, the code is "SnarSn4r5n4r". Enter it, then opt into the the private beta) This is basically a gift to those forum members who have been dedicated to the game but weren't able to back our website campaign. Thanks for being great fans!

The multiplayer has options for Find a Game, Join a Game, Create a Game and local Splitscreen. Finding a game allows you to input a preferred configuration to search for, with the game finding an event that most suits your search criteria. Joining a game requires you to know the game's specific name, which is the best way to play with friends.There are currently some issues with the game, but that's to be expected with the first iteration of multiplayer functionality.

Here is a list of known issues or features we need to add
Multiplayer:

• Arena Mode: There is an issue where the player's vehicle may act very strangely, floating and sliding around. This occurs after getting destroyed, but may not be consistent or persistent, or might not happen at all.
  • Although bots can be enabled in multiplayer games, they may cause performance issues for players with older hardware. If you are running the game on medium or low, we suggest disabling bots when creating an online game. Be advised though, that some games you find online will have bots enabled.
  • Sometimes map voting is a bit bugged, in that the wrong selections will show for the game mode. This is usually fixed by changing the game mode a few times
  • Sometimes the info feed will say a player has joined the game when they're already connected
  • When spectating cars, the player name is not shown.. This will be added soon.
  • Cars can intersect with each other if some users have a bad net connection
  • Lobby chat and ingame quickchat need an anti-spam filter
  • When spectating in multiplayer, there is a bug where you may not hear vehicle engine sounds.
  • When an event is starting, the syncing time may take longer if someone with a lower-end PC is joining
  • Pickup balancing can be a bit distorted in multiplayer, with players being able to grab the same thing multiple times in a row. We are looking into this

Levels:
  • New map! We totally left it in there by accident.. but hey, now we can get more feedback. It's in extremely early stages and there's not even enough spawns for 10 cars, but it's a good indication of how cool it'll be :) Enjoy it while it's still available!
  • Transport: There are a few areas of the map where you can reset outside of the race tunnel and fall into the void. These will be fixed soon
  • Alhatra Wastes: The car likes to bounce around more on this map than any other, unfortunately. Also, the map still needs some flow work, including a rebuild of the upper path to the left past the bridge in the forwards direction

General:
  • The menu only has mouse support right now.We will be adding gamepad support as soon as we can
  • You might lose your previous vehicle customization after updating GRIP on Steam. Sorry! We'll have car customization saving in the game hopefully soon.
  • You may experience some bouncier or floatier vehicle physics in this build. This is due to us updating our custom Unreal build to 4.12. We'll be looking into fixing these issues inNovember
  • The game can sometimes freeze if player is alt-tabbing during the loading screen. Try not to alt-tab when it's loading ;)
  • A small amount of users with older GPUs may experience performance decreases with this patch. We've just updated our custom version of Unreal Engine to 4.12 and are still optimizing
  • For very few users the game may freeze periodically while playing. This is an issue associated with UE4, of which Epic are aware. If you experience this, some possible workarounds can be found HERE or HERE
We're doing our best to fix as many of these issues as possible for the next patch, which will hopefully be a public release of multiplayer!

If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum (be sure to check the bugs and crashes lists before posting):
forum.cagedelement.com

Or you can visit the Steam Page

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!
Game Director
GRIP

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: GRIP Private Multiplayer testing is now underway!!

Postby Sigrid » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Yay that's great, and i'm sure a lot of people around here are eager to try that!
But for now, as far as i'm concerned, i cannot launch the game anymore with this patch. x)
Do tell me if you need more details about my config, in case it might be related to the game not launching.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Have you tried restarting Steam, your computer, re-downloading, verifying the files, etc? This issue has popped up before, but it's always gotten resolved as far as I remember
Game Director
GRIP

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Well so far i've just restarted steam, but it's already 2AM here so i'll try the rest tomorrow morning! :mrgreen:
In the meantime, to those who can try multiplayer: have fun!!

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for giving the info, I had a chance to first time ever in my life play multiplayer in rollcage type game.

I have few things to address and since its fresh post i will include them here.

-map called "tubes" in carcour gives fatal error upon launching.

-dominator has very poor "max speed", without turbos, its basically worthless pick for multi.

-every car in my game felt like tanks. couldnt move them, but they could rekt me up upon crashing on me.

but to say something positive, I felt so happy inside i was jiggling and twitching from excitement to actually play grip against a real person from somewhere in the world.

I swear each time an update comes back i rejoice from getting back into this game, this is some kind of magic.

oh also, lobby should give a G button to go back to garage, and a steam link icon near player so we can go into their profiles
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The Sudden Silent
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby The Sudden Silent » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 pm

anyone noticed we have new track on liddo5 sector=D

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Have you tried restarting Steam, your computer, re-downloading, verifying the files, etc? This issue has popped up before, but it's always gotten resolved as far as I remember

Tried everything except re-downloading the entire thing and it's not launching for me. I never got any launching problems with this game.

Going to try to delete the game and get a fresh copy but just later since my crap internet is going to take ages to re-download everything again :(
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:49 pm

The Sudden Silent wrote:anyone noticed we have new track on liddo5 sector=D

lol yeah... err... oops? ;)
MP wooohooo! It's on like donkey kong! :D

The Sudden Silent
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby The Sudden Silent » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 pm

i think that level is like early prototype.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:07 am

yep, don't play MP on the new Liddo 5 map ^^
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:59 am

I wish I didn't need to work :D
Feedback coming soon anyway.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 am

It's happening!! :D
You're just a voice pal.

aardvark
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby aardvark » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:48 am

Sigrid wrote:But for now, as far as i'm concerned, i cannot launch the game anymore with this patch. x)
Do tell me if you need more details about my config, in case it might be related to the game not launching.

I had the same issue, I fixed it by going to the games folder and starting the exe from there, it popped up some notification that I needed to install some Unreal Engine required files and asked if I wanted to do it now, so I did that and then the game started fine. :)

codemonkey
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby codemonkey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:29 am

Try updating to the latest patch for the game in Steam. The prerequisites for UE 4.12 were not being installed because the installer thought they had already been installed if you had a UE 4.9 version of the game beforehand. This has been addressed and updating should force the new prerequisites to be installed. Alternatively, manually hunt down and run UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe within the GRIP install folder.
Rob
Technical Honcho
Caged Element

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:42 am

codemonkey wrote:Try updating to the latest patch for the game in Steam. The prerequisites for UE 4.12 were not being installed because the installer thought they had already been installed if you had a UE 4.9 version of the game beforehand. This has been addressed and updating should force the new prerequisites to be installed. Alternatively, manually hunt down and run UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe within the GRIP install folder.

Thanks codegod I mean codemonkey :) I was waiting before delete everything and try again cause my internet sucks and I was hoping for this answer!

EDIT: Truly you guys are code gods!!! MP is really well made for the first launch and you're like the example of what early access should be! Now we just need some more polish but the game is great.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Alright now I have tested multiplayer. It was awesome! Pretty good beta launch I'd say, looking forward to physics being un-fucked again sometime in the future :)
You're just a voice pal.

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:13 pm

I can't see the new map? Was it already removed? I know I have the right version since I played online mp already, which was awesome by the way, and surprisingly functional for a first incarnation! Personally I would love the option to reduce the amount of powerups but maybe this will be better when there are more options in the pool etc.

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Sadly I can't say I've had the positive experience you all seem to be having.
Earlier in the day, with low population, I managed to get into a couple of races against few opponents, but playing online axed the game's performance. Like more than halving it, dropping it to an average FPS lower than 20. Only online, though, playing offline looked about the same as usual.
Later I noticed the hotfix dropping and tried to have another go, but couldn't play at all: joining a race in progress froze the loading screen (probably when it was done loading and started trying to synch), after which I was dropped on the spectate screen with a message informing me of a connection error. Joining a lobby, however, seemed to work to the point where we were all loaded on the map and it said synching, but when the race was supposed to start the game froze up. I heard the countdown, the noises from the other starting, all stuttery, until it un-froze. And then it proceeded to freeze for several seconds at a time intermittently. I tried the fix mentioend in the patch notes, and it didn't work. Indeed, the problem only presents itself during online play, single player still works as usual.
Redists are installed, integrity is ok, internet works, reboots were made, potatoes be potatoes I guess?

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Jay Multiplayer is there :) :)

Unfortunatly my graphics card died yesterday, so im now one of the potato testers.

Scalling down the resolution in the menu i noticed something: The Menu text gets really fast blurry as sh*t. Well you might say thats what you get for using a potato and not a banana like us cool people. The thing is the running text on the bottom looks still very good even on low resolutions. Ok maybe the running text is vector based and the rest consists just of graphics or something. If thats the case than maybe create a vector based layer on top of the menu background. Or just do the magic you do to let the text look like text and not like soup. (Hope this did not sounded to salty, not intended)

The new map is offcourse very WIP but it looked very promising. Water + glastubes + giant treeroots = cool

But my reset key is not working. I know - hold - well i did for almost a minute more than once.

I also tried one multiplayer match. Worked pretty nice. (exept for looking like rollcage - well potato)

OK what could be done better would be a automessage if the host is idle for longer than a minute. So if you join a game and see the host is away for already 16 minutes you know whats goin on.

Also i dont like that the game just starts a timer for the next race after your done. I dont want to be forced, sometimes i just want to chat.

When i had some more time on my hand i tried to do some more testing but ...
After the quickfix i tried to run the game and had a complete freeze + buescreen and unasked system reboot. At first i thought its maybe me but after it happened again and some other game run without a problem im now certain its you. EDIT: Ok the problem was with my crappy GPU.
Last edited by Django on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 pm

there should be a filter to throw out lobbies that currently race
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Announcements”