GRIP Private Multiplayer testing is now underway!!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
ApexAzimuth

Re: GRIP Private Multiplayer testing is now underway!!

Postby ApexAzimuth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:32 pm

First of all THANK YOU for inviting us to the private MP testing build!

I've played a couple hours of MP and I'm VERY impressed with how smoothly everything went. For a such an early implementation, I'm amazed at how well it plays. Racing against actual players cranks the intensity of the experience up to narcotic levels.

I'd like to be able to see a list of available games to join and whether to join or just spectate.
I'd love to be able to access the garage from the lobby.
There doesn't appear to be a way to chat in-game, which isn't a big deal, but It'd be nice for the players who have been exploded or finished.
Classic races shouldn't close after the first finish, they should close when all racers have finished or exploded. I'm not sure whether or not Ultimate races should close after the first player finishes, maybe there's a game-balance element to it.
It would be amazing to be able to choose which player to follow when spectating. Camera choice would be icing.

Incredible first implementation, CE- A mythic achievement for Multiplayer.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 am

Sigrid wrote:Yay that's great, and i'm sure a lot of people around here are eager to try that!
But for now, as far as i'm concerned, i cannot launch the game anymore with this patch. x)
Do tell me if you need more details about my config, in case it might be related to the game not launching.

Is it still not launching after the latest patch?

0Blueaura wrote:-map called "tubes" in carcour gives fatal error upon launching.

-dominator has very poor "max speed", without turbos, its basically worthless pick for multi.

-every car in my game felt like tanks. couldnt move them, but they could rekt me up upon crashing on me.

but to say something positive, I felt so happy inside i was jiggling and twitching from excitement to actually play grip against a real person from somewhere in the world.

I swear each time an update comes back i rejoice from getting back into this game, this is some kind of magic.

oh also, lobby should give a G button to go back to garage, and a steam link icon near player so we can go into their profiles

Thanks, I'll make a note about the tubes map

Various people have been doing well with the dominator. It's max speed is actually higher than the Cygon. We'll be slightly lowering the Cygon top speed though

I agree that the cars are realllly hard to move when hitting them in Multiplayer. I've made a note about it

Also made a note about getting into the garage from the lobby as others mentioned it. Not sure how possible that is without messing up the game loop though
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 am

StickyBassline wrote: looking forward to physics being un-fucked again sometime in the future :)

What do you mean?

Tathendal wrote:I can't see the new map? Was it already removed?

Yeah it was removed as it was mistakenly left in. Really not ready for private consumption yet

Raion wrote:Sadly I can't say I've had the positive experience you all seem to be having.
Earlier in the day, with low population, I managed to get into a couple of races against few opponents, but playing online axed the game's performance. Like more than halving it, dropping it to an average FPS lower than 20. Only online, though, playing offline looked about the same as usual.
Later I noticed the hotfix dropping and tried to have another go, but couldn't play at all: joining a race in progress froze the loading screen (probably when it was done loading and started trying to synch), after which I was dropped on the spectate screen with a message informing me of a connection error. Joining a lobby, however, seemed to work to the point where we were all loaded on the map and it said synching, but when the race was supposed to start the game froze up. I heard the countdown, the noises from the other starting, all stuttery, until it un-froze. And then it proceeded to freeze for several seconds at a time intermittently. I tried the fix mentioend in the patch notes, and it didn't work. Indeed, the problem only presents itself during online play, single player still works as usual.
Redists are installed, integrity is ok, internet works, reboots were made, potatoes be potatoes I guess?

Sorry to hear buddy

you've got the same problem as others, which is low performance with bots in the game. Try to create a game without bots and have people join it. If you could report back, that would help

Your issues with the build after the latest patch are pretty bizarre though, as no one has encountered them yet. Made a note of them. What are your PC specs again?

Django wrote:Scalling down the resolution in the menu i noticed something: The Menu text gets really fast blurry as sh*t. Well you might say thats what you get for using a potato and not a banana like us cool people. The thing is the running text on the bottom looks still very good even on low resolutions. Ok maybe the running text is vector based and the rest consists just of graphics or something. If thats the case than maybe create a vector based layer on top of the menu background. Or just do the magic you do to let the text look like text and not like soup. (Hope this did not sounded to salty, not intended)

But my reset key is not working. I know - hold - well i did for almost a minute more than once.

OK what could be done better would be a automessage if the host is idle for longer than a minute. So if you join a game and see the host is away for already 16 minutes you know whats goin on.

Also i dont like that the game just starts a timer for the next race after your done. I dont want to be forced, sometimes i just want to chat.

When i had some more time on my hand i tried to do some more testing but ...
After the quickfix i tried to run the game and had a complete freeze + buescreen and unasked system reboot. At first i thought its maybe me but after it happened again and some other game run without a problem im now certain its you.

The menu is in the 3D world and we tried various methods to get the text looking sharper - none worked. The status bar is a 2D overlay on a separate rendering layer, which is why it's nice and crisp (just like the pause menu ingame)

Reset key not working only on the islands map? That's because it has no AI splines yet, which the reset function uses

We've just implemented a countdown that starts the game automatically, so if the "host" is afk, the game will start anyway. It's 90 seconds once the first additional player enters the lobby

I've asked Adam to increase the normal lobby countdown from 45 sec to 60 sec. That's enough time to chat and vote

Are you still getting the bluescreen? That's a brand new issue I've not seen yet :/
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 am

ApexAzimuth wrote:I've played a couple hours of MP and I'm VERY impressed with how smoothly everything went. For a such an early implementation, I'm amazed at how well it plays. Racing against actual players cranks the intensity of the experience up to narcotic levels.

I'd like to be able to see a list of available games to join and whether to join or just spectate.
There doesn't appear to be a way to chat in-game, which isn't a big deal, but It'd be nice for the players who have been exploded or finished.
Classic races shouldn't close after the first finish, they should close when all racers have finished or exploded. I'm not sure whether or not Ultimate races should close after the first player finishes, maybe there's a game-balance element to it.
It would be amazing to be able to choose which player to follow when spectating. Camera choice would be icing.

Incredible first implementation, CE- A mythic achievement for Multiplayer.

Glad you like the MP integration thus far. We're trying our best to get it right :)

We may have a server browser, but not before the public MP launch. We'll have something to help in the meantime though
Doing a proper text chat ingame was proving to be a pain, so we put it on the backburner for now
We put a mandatory countdown to end the race to stop afk'ers or people messing around from ruining the race and making it last forever. Afraid it's gotta stay, for now at least
Spectator controls are coming, just not yet

Thanks for the nice comments!
Game Director
GRIP

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am

Chris_CE wrote:We put a mandatory countdown to end the race to stop afk'ers or people messing around from ruining the race and making it last forever. Afraid it's gotta stay, for now at least

I actually didn't consider that. Good point, and good thinking.
I tend to forget that people can be asshats and ruin things for everyone else, so systems to suppress asshattery are good.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 am

So after reinstalling the patch the game was still not launching, and then i saw what Aadvark said:
aardvark wrote:I had the same issue, I fixed it by going to the games folder and starting the exe from there, it popped up some notification that I needed to install some Unreal Engine required files and asked if I wanted to do it now, so I did that and then the game started fine. :)

I just tried it, and just as him installed a few UE files and now i can launch Grip again normally. Thanks mate! ;)

But i tried to do the new "tubes" carkour race, and once it got loaded, i was thrown back to the main menu. :P
Regular races work fine.
And for the moment i haven't tried multiplayer yet (yeah shame on me).

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:32 am

Chris_CE wrote:
StickyBassline wrote: looking forward to physics being un-fucked again sometime in the future :)

What do you mean?

Didn't you say that the physics were a little messed up and "bouncy" because you recently upgraded to unreal 4.12? What I meant was that I hope that's fixed soon :)
You're just a voice pal.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:56 am

Chris_CE wrote:The menu is in the 3D world and we tried various methods to get the text looking sharper - none worked. The status bar is a 2D overlay on a separate rendering layer, which is why it's nice and crisp (just like the pause menu ingame)

Hm ok, i dont know but im pretty sure that a more elegant solution is possible but i get the problem. A possible sollution could be to make a simpler menu that can be selected manually. Something to look into later since its only a potato problem anyway.

Chris_CE wrote:Reset key not working only on the islands map? That's because it has no AI splines yet, which the reset function uses

Ok that makes sense. Yes it was only on that map. I forgot to test it elsewhere.

Chris_CE wrote:We've just implemented a countdown that starts the game automatically, so if the "host" is afk, the game will start anyway. It's 90 seconds once the first additional player enters the lobby

I've asked Adam to increase the normal lobby countdown from 45 sec to 60 sec. That's enough time to chat and vote

Havent seen it from that perspective. How about everyone is set to "ready" after the first race but its possible to switch to unready? People unready and idle for more than 30sec get ignored.

Chris_CE wrote:Are you still getting the bluescreen? That's a brand new issue I've not seen yet :/

I will try a thing or two and report later today.

Edit: Ok, the problem was somehow connected to my faulty GPU. Just using the onboard chip and leaving the faulty card in the computer turned out to be not very smart. After removing the card the problem dissapeared.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:31 am

seriously every car could get me no matter how good i been driving, yet i land first place with dreadnought

btw i have no new map. no where to be find for some reason :(

http://imgur.com/a/4yJKF Picture from Queadah steam

https://i.gyazo.com/0502a5666032d87c23b ... f3e737.png picture from my steam

I don't know if thats a difference though. :P
Last edited by 0Blueaura on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 am

Chris_CE wrote:Your issues with the build after the latest patch are pretty bizarre though, as no one has encountered them yet. Made a note of them. What are your PC specs again?

I thought I'd have nothing to lose trying to reinstall the game from scratch. So I deleted the local content and re-downloaded. And multiplayer was greyed out. Wat. Is it maintenance time? No, it didn't occur to me that now I had to re-opt into the beta. Which meant re-downloading the whole thing, again. Oh, well.
Incidentally, why have you chosen to package the game on a big ol' mono-pak? Seems a tad unwieldy to have to deal with a 1.6gb (and growing) file every new update.

Here's the deal: searched for a game, found one mid-race and immediately crashed to desktop. Welp, that's a new thing that happens sometimes.
This is a good spot to add that sometimes when I quit Grip, Steam will think it's still running, forever, until I force stop Steam itself. Don't know what's that about, doesn't happen with other games, not a big deal anyway.

Found another game, a lobby this time, less populated, in fact when we started the race we were only 2. The game ran as expected, same performance as single player. Next race we were three, again good performance. Next race we were four and the performance tanked, just as yesterday. But the weirdest thing, when a fifth player joined as spectator, for a moment the performance went back up, only to drop back to 20 when the message disappeared. All of this with no bots around.

I later managed to join and spectate a race with 4 players in it, the performance was ok, but the cars stuttered back and forth while racing. Next race, participating with the same people, 20 again. So I retired to spectate: still 20FPS but the cars didn't stutter, they were properly synched. Best part, as 2 of the 4 players crossed the finish line, the performance got better again as the others finished.

If I were to speculate, which I'll do full knowing it doesn't help you any, I'd think my unique problem from yesterday is tied to this behaviour: if synchronizing with more than 2 other players tanks my performance, joining a crowded room during peak time would bring things to a crawl, such as not even synching to a race in progress or that weird intermittent freezing and playability.

Soooooo, my potato just can't cope with your netcode it seems. Bummer.
Sorry for taking up your time with such a mundane problem after all, but for record keeping:
Q6600@2.4Ghz, GTX750Ti 2Gb, DDR2 4Gb, 7200RPM drive, Win10x64Anniversary.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Raion wrote:This is a good spot to add that sometimes when I quit Grip, Steam will think it's still running, forever, until I force stop Steam itself. Don't know what's that about, doesn't happen with other games, not a big deal anyway.

When this happens to me I kill the music player in task manager :) But it only happen if the game crashes for me.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:28 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:
Raion wrote:This is a good spot to add that sometimes when I quit Grip, Steam will think it's still running, forever, until I force stop Steam itself. Don't know what's that about, doesn't happen with other games, not a big deal anyway.

When this happens to me I kill the music player in task manager :) But it only happen if the game crashes for me.

Oh, thanks man, didn't notice that. I'll keep an eye on it.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 pm

I had the problem with the music player not shutting down as well.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Yeah if the game crashes you need to kill the music player process as well

StickyBassline wrote:Didn't you say that the physics were a little messed up and "bouncy" because you recently upgraded to unreal 4.12? What I meant was that I hope that's fixed soon :)

Right, they're not too bad though ;)

Django wrote:Hm ok, i dont know but im pretty sure that a more elegant solution is possible but i get the problem. A possible sollution could be to make a simpler menu that can be selected manually. Something to look into later since its only a potato problem anyway.

How about everyone is set to "ready" after the first race but its possible to switch to unready? People unready and idle for more than 30sec get ignored.

Edit: Ok, the problem was somehow connected to my faulty GPU. Just using the onboard chip and leaving the faulty card in the computer turned out to be not very smart. After removing the card the problem dissapeared.

Trust us when we say we explored every option to get the menu as crisp as possible within the 3D rendered scene. It has to be within that rendered layer because it's in the 3D world, unlike most UI which is flat against the screen.

Isn't having idle people ignored pretty much the same thing? We have a timer so that idle/afk players don't ruin the flow of the games. And say someone isn't idle but hasn't hit ready and is spamming the chat. Without a timer they'd be able to keep people in the lobby as long as they want

Glad to hear you fixed the BSOD issue

0Blueaura wrote:seriously every car could get me no matter how good i been driving, yet i land first place with dreadnought

Not sure what you mean?

Raion wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:-bunch o stuff-

Sucks man, sorry to hear that. We're investigating performance issues associated with bots as well as number of players. Your setup isn't all that bad though, I mean the Q6660 is one of the best CPUs of it's time and a 750ti is nothing to sneeze at

Like I said, we're looking into it

PS. UE4 packages the game in large chunks, making the update sizes so big. Currently there's nothing we can do about it
Game Director
GRIP

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 am

Chris_CE wrote:snip

*shrug* That was almost 10 years ago though. :D
Still, the most recent high profile games that I can think of, that I played and ran well, were Mad Max, Soma and Rainbow Six Siege. Not that bad.
On the other hand the new Doom demo ran at 1 frame every few seconds, the Lawbreakers alpha or Insurgency take so long to load, that the matches are halfway through when I finally join. And any and all Unity games run poorly.
I'm straddling the line of how much I can still squeeze out of this box.
That being said, I mean, I can't get a locked 60 on single player Grip either, but at low 720p I definitely get a playable variable 50 or so.
Anyhow, thanks for the concern, I guess I'll just wait and see. Very critically.

(ps. it's not like in an effort to try and mod the car's textures I used the UE SDK tools to unpack the game's assets and it ran just fine preserving the folder structure, but I couldn't repack them correctly and they just showed up as a black and white error pattern in game, so I was just wondering...)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 am

Chris_CE wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:seriously every car could get me no matter how good i been driving, yet i land first place with dreadnought

Not sure what you mean?

What I meant is that with dominator, I was easily overtaken on straight line, either with dread or cyclone. For some reason Dominator sucks.

With dreadnought though, I am able to win races first, 3rd at least. Dominator was a hard mode :P

Anyway, why don't I have an access to Islands of liddo 5? I don't have it in track selection. :|
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:28 am

@OBlueaura

I guess the new Islands track was removed in the quick fix. It didnt even has bot support yet. (and i think there was a invisible wall or something behind the starting point)

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:20 pm

So v1.1.3 is launched and I see improvements, GJ so far CE, keep it up! :)

I saw u implemented a game lobby which do not throw you right into the found games, and it even adds some info about the currewt races available, which is nice.

My question is, could you add some more race info into the empty space in the window's bottom right? What I would be curious about is the lap number, and the overall playtime. That way I could calculate somehow if it's reasonable to enter the specific game, since it is near it's end (if I calculate an average 1 min. for 1 lap on Yuri for e.g.), or do I have to wait still, cuz 10 more laps to go before I can join the next session.

And an incy-wincy question: chooseable spectator cam? So I can spy on the PROs movements & tricks, and use 'em up against them next time! :D

<3

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:28 pm

VooDooQky wrote:My question is, could you add some more race info into the empty space in the window's bottom right? What I would be curious about is the lap number, and the overall playtime. That way I could calculate somehow if it's reasonable to enter the specific game, since it is near it's end (if I calculate an average 1 min. for 1 lap on Yuri for e.g.), or do I have to wait still, cuz 10 more laps to go before I can join the next session.

And an incy-wincy question: chooseable spectator cam? So I can spy on the PROs movements & tricks, and use 'em up against them next time! :D

<3

Yeah showing more info in the lobby is planned, just isn't in there yet. Same goes for being able to switch who you're viewing in spectator
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Good job on everything with the newest patch! Especially really nice that you automatically don't join the game in progress and can cycle through available games

Except where are my slick tyres ? :D edit. Nevermind this, I changed GRIP to SSD and it seems I was on the main branch by accident :D whoops. Ahh slicks much better now

Return to “Announcements”