GRIP Update v1.1.6 is now on Steam!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

GRIP Update v1.1.6 is now on Steam!

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Much improved physics, two new tracks, a new song from Full Kontakt, performance optimizations and more... this is a good one.

List of some known issues with this patch (v.1.1.6):

• SkyTrack: Resetting on this map isn't fully supported as the code isn't ready yet. We wanted you guys to play the track though, so we decided to put it in this patch.
  • Islands Track: This map is very WIP and still needs a lot of work. We're releasing it in this patch so we can gather valuable feedback from the community
  • The menus only support mouse navigation right now. Gamepad support will be coming as soon as possible.
  • Vehicle physics can be screwy at times, causing your car to bounce unexpectedly, catch on geometry or spend too much time in the air. We've been aware of these types of issue for a while and have constantly been improving physics as we go. The Vintek Warlander is the most unstable car, physics-wise.
  • Pickups balancing still needs work, especially the EMP
  • Some users are reporting that pausing the game after finishing an event gets rid of mouse navigation
  • Sometimes resetting the car on any map can transport you to another area of the map, changing your race placement
  • Missiles like to crash into the ground sometimes upon deployment

List of changes/additions in this patch:

• Considerably better car physics! Rob has been busy fixing an unwanted oscillation issue as well as much improving the suspension model for all the cars. The result is more predictable driving and less frustration
  • TWO new racetracks! Orbital Prime SkyTrack (by Chris) and Liddo5 Islands (by Jeffrey). Both tracks are WIP
  • A new ingame tune from Full Kontakt (http://soundcloud.com/fullkontaktuk)
  • Optimizations to performance. The game should now run better overall, for all types of PC setups. The vehicle explosion now has 15% of it's previous performance impact.
  • Speedpad colour has been changed to green
  • Endurance Carkour map now fixed
  • Fixed collision issue on thin ramp asset, and added red X skin to specific instances
  • Decreased size of HUD's mine indicator
  • HUD speedometer now flashes red when player is targeted by a missile

Racetracks:
FIC Outpost
  • Added snowmen and lights to the starting gate :)
  • Added wallride to upper route in valley area
  • Removed 2nd big jump, improved 1st big one
  • Tilted forcefield barriers so players are less likely to ride them
  • Gave rocks proper collision, removed unnecessary meshes
Alhatra
  • Huge amount of optimizations in terms of lighting and mesh LODing
  • Smoothed terrain in areas
Transport
  • Improved some areas visually. Added animation to some structures as a test
  • Still need to rework the tunnel changes in last version to increase difficult and interest
Yuri Industrial
  • Reworked left route on the main hill to be quicker and more useful
  • Added more signage

If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum (be sure to check the bugs and crashes lists before posting):
forum.cagedelement.com

Or you can visit the Steam Page

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!
Game Director
GRIP

VooDooQky

Re: GRIP Update v1.1.6 is now on Steam!

Postby VooDooQky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I was waiting for this! THANKS! :D

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Best Christmas present. Thank you! Can't wait to play (downloading.......)

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Sorry to be that person again. But the new orbital prime track is soooooo meh... Don`t get me wrong i really like the direction youre going with it, but all of those barriers... I`m soo triggered by them... The barriers.... I hate them soo much. If you want to make a hard track here`s a couple of tips.

1. Delete the barriers, they`re useless.
2. Make the whole track alot wider, and curved so its kinda like a halfpipe
3. Add some ridiculous turns, twists, whatever-the-F*ck you want.
4. Design it so its possible to cut a turn by jumping, like in stage II

Voila! :D

Btw. I also really liked the part with the three splitting routes.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Yay a Orbital Prime SkyTrack :D

I like the direction your going but its not there yet.

Mostly the track just misses something. Its good that its grim and dark but it needs more contrasts. You know neon advertising, aircraft with spot lights, flashing blue or greenish thunderbolts, lights of citypart somewhere. You know stuff like that. Some Crepuscular rays here and there coming trough the clouds could also do wonders. Oh and add some antennas to the side with red lights for aircraft.

(Im of course aware that its super WIP but input is what you want from us, so here it is.)

I like the part thats like a slide, the curvy section. Im also not really a fan of the barriers. Different ways are possible. Just removing them could make the track more hardcore. Or maybe give them an angle of 30° or 45° degrees instead of 90°

By the way the jumps are inspired by Distance right? ;)

The new track Black Out is the best one from Full Kontakt so far. Sounds a lot like the Nightrider tune.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 pm

WROB3L wrote:Btw. I also really liked the part with the three splitting routes.

+1
Patch going in the good direction. For the Skytrack, perhaps:
  • make the fans larger. They look nice, might as well see them better
  • as someone said, the inverted turn is a tad to steep who knows, which is why the car hits the ground I guess (?)
No other remark. It's a WIP so it will get populated later, but the atmosphere is already nice.

DarkBahamut

Postby DarkBahamut » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Wasn't expecting to see another patch this year so that's a nice surprise :)

Just some feedback on SkyTrack. I'm not much of a fan of the long, narrow but barried sections between the 'interesting' parts either. The wider but unprotected sections are better and lend themselves more to an actual race, rather than just setting laps solo. And I'd also agree on reprofiling the ramps that invert the track, the cars don't go up them particularly well and the momentum feels wrong/broken. The track certainly has some potential though with some tweaks.

Kerake

Postby Kerake » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:23 am

Everyone talks about new tracks but not the changes in physics? They have been improved A LOT. Now the cars feel much much more predictable and it's even more fun to drive, at least it's the impression I had while playing in general, so good work team! :D
About the tracks, I haven't played them too much yet and they are WIP, so I can't say much except that I like them both (specially the sky one, it's fun even in its current state). Maybe the part where you make a half-loop, the camera goes a bit crazy and the cars feels like bumps on something. This track reminds me to the good old track of F-Zero GX (one of my favorites from that game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVSTAO5igM

Oh, and I like the color change to the speedpads, except that they are a bit less easy to see than before (but it's minimal). The new music track from Full Kontakt is good too! :D

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi,

I've spotted a bug on Sky Track. I don't know where to post it so I'm gonna do this here.

On screens below I made NPCs fall from upside down part of track and after respawning they can't gain enought speed to attach to this upside down track, so they fall into oblivion. They to this all the time so basically this disqualifies them from the rest of the race.

http://imgur.com/a/KSEyP

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:21 am

I love the look of the skytrack! not just in terms of design but also colour pallet :geek:

I wonder how it will evolve in terms of look over time? Are we going to see scaffolding connecting the track to the ground or will pieces of track be attached to buildings and the like?

Could we see some concept art by any chance?? :D

In general, I would also like to see the tracks widen - I'm not a huge fan of the thin stretches of track and tunnels.

Everything is starting to look so good!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Read all your feedback, and have taken it into account. Some notes:

There are barriers on much of Skytrack because right now the reset code isn't good enough to have cars flying off the road all the time. It would be a mess. That said, I can easily remove barriers from parts of the track, as well as replace sections with wider track.

SkyTrack is very basic visually, because I was concentrating on gameplay. I actually don't want this one in the city, but rather held up by framework attached to the rocks below. This is supposed to be in an area of the planet that is very toxic and unpopulated, hence GRIP league not being bothered by anyone and their track not getting torn down. I just haven't had time to add more art meshes and connect the track to the environment yet. It will not have an buildings though, unless they were built by the league. We don't have any Orbital Prime assets yet whatsoever

And remember that this is just one track of many that can be of the "Sky Track" variety. Plenty of crazy ideas can go into additional tracks. You want some time to combat other races as well as do crazy flips n turns, etc

WROB3L wrote:4. Design it so its possible to cut a turn by jumping, like in stage II

This can already be done in at least one spot
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:06 am

Chris_CE wrote:Read all your feedback, and have taken it into account. Some notes:

There are barriers on much of Skytrack because right now the reset code isn't good enough to have cars flying off the road all the time. It would be a mess. That said, I can easily remove barriers from parts of the track, as well as replace sections with wider track.

SkyTrack is very basic visually, because I was concentrating on gameplay. I actually don't want this one in the city, but rather held up by framework attached to the rocks below. This is supposed to be in an area of the planet that is very toxic and unpopulated, hence GRIP league not being bothered by anyone and their track not getting torn down. I just haven't had time to add more art meshes and connect the track to the environment yet. It will not have an buildings though, unless they were built by the league. We don't have any Orbital Prime assets yet whatsoever

And remember that this is just one track of many that can be of the "Sky Track" variety. Plenty of crazy ideas can go into additional tracks. You want some time to combat other races as well as do crazy flips n turns, etc

WROB3L wrote:4. Design it so its possible to cut a turn by jumping, like in stage II

This can already be done in at least one spot

UUUUHHH Me likeeeyyyy, Actually toxic environment has sooo much potential for asset design. Can`t wait until we will see some first concepts of how it will look.

On that quote.
I haven`t searched for it yet, gonna do soon :D
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:14 am

GRIP update 1.1.7. "Blizzard" WAT? :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer