Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Patch v.1.0.3.0 Released!

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:50 pm

Changelist

Pick-ups:
  • Improved the intelligence of the homing missile flight path
  • Changed mine explosion force and proximity radius to be smaller (was overpowered)
  • Fixed: Delay when using a pick-up
  • Raptor machine gun now targets mines
  • Destroyed cars are no longer be targetable by guns or missiles

Tracks:
  • Industrial: Fixed many bugs and deleted objects that caused problems with flow
  • Industrial: Added more pickups to the track
  • Industrial: Reworked AI pathing
  • Figure8: Fixed a bunch of bugs and blocking volumes
  • Figure8: Added various assets to improve visual flair
  • Figure8: Reworked AI pathing

UI:
  • Added screen resolution options
  • Added wrong way indicator to HUD
  • Colour-coded and easier to see HUD icons

Misc:
  • Fixed: Cars resetting outside of track
  • Added additional chase cam view (far)
  • Chase camera view saved between races
  • Improved camera clipping
  • Improved AI’s ability to recover after crashes
  • Damage effects now rendered at the correct scale
  • Reduced turning circle at low speeds
Game Director
GRIP

Gorgar66
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Patch v.1.0.3.0 Released!

Postby Gorgar66 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Thx so much, I was really looking forward to shoot the Mines:thumbsup:
Edit: Game looks so much better now with the right Resolution. :D :D :D :D
Intel i5 2500k@4,00 Ghz, G-Skill-Sniper@1866 Mhz, EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX, BeQuiet Dark Power 10 550W.

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Is it too early to start complaining about changes?
e.g. Bring back "Industrial" classic!! They totally nerfed getting back inside the track after flying off. And I guess now noobs should be told when they're driving the wrong way around? Pah, they don't even need to learn the track.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 pm

the wrong way is something that i've been wanting cause there are some cases where i am lost with a close camera view "potterman might like it too" so i can't wait to try it out when i get home :p
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Changelist

Pick-ups:
  • Changed mine explosion force and proximity radius to be smaller (was overpowered)
  • Fixed: Delay when using a pick-up
  • Raptor machine gun now targets mines

Tracks:
  • Industrial: Fixed many bugs and deleted objects that caused problems with flow
  • Industrial: Added more pickups to the track
  • Industrial: Reworked AI pathing
  • Figure8: Fixed a bunch of bugs and blocking volumes
  • Figure8: Added various assets to improve visual flair
  • Figure8: Reworked AI pathing

UI:
  • Added screen resolution options
  • Added wrong way indicator to HUD
  • Fixed: “Clock Watch” music track not playing ingame (maybe not)

Misc:
  • Fixed: Cars resetting outside of track
  • Added additional chase cam view (far)
  • Improved camera clipping
  • Improved AI’s ability to recover after crashes

thank you so much Chris can't wait to see what else is in store for us :)
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm

@tjg: Most of this patch was Rob working his magic, but also Dave and some other contributors, so much more than me here ;)

Raion wrote:e.g. Bring back "Industrial" classic!! They totally nerfed getting back inside the track after flying off.

I'm perplexed. I got rid of all the big blocking volumes and instead made it so you can drive over the barrier from the other side if you go off track and over it.
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Crashing out-of-track for me was always a 'hold the reset-car button' so I don't think it's been neutered. Crashing off the course is still a pain and still probably quicker to use reset-car so :P

Enjoying this patch though. So far I've had no real problems as far as randomly stopping/spinning/flipping on jumps goes. The car still pirouettes if you land and bounce though, but at least now it seems that extreme-speed jumps are more predictable. Pretty sure Rob will get on top of that eventually ((Honestly? I think it's to do with the cars having all-wheel steering but I could just be overthinking it :P ))

Just to note - on High speed, the first shortcut 'tunnel' on Industrial, there seems to be something the car hits halfway through the bend and makes it bounce. Maybe it's just going too fast, dunno. But 7/8 laps through there I heard a 'chink' and the car hopped so... yeah.

AI is better but not perfect; I've seen them get stuck in certain spots against objects that they keep reversing away from and trying to drive into again (such as the shortcuts under the cranes on the figure-8 track). Methinks what's happened is they've overshot or been blown up and are trying to get back to the spline (which is under the crane) and they can't get to it. Yet to see any 'stuck' cars on Industrial, though the AI are pretty slow ;-)

Question; is that new shortcut on Industrial intentional? ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Chris_CE wrote:I'm perplexed. I got rid of all the big blocking volumes and instead made it so you can drive over the barrier from the other side if you go off track and over it.

Sorry, I was joking, trying to parrot some other communities that seem to go bananas over any and all changes to what they know.
The changes in UI and track flow definitely give an immediate improvement to the game feel.
Though I'm puzzled as to why you would choose to block that shortcut on the left before the finish, making it mandatory to take the jump.

Anyhow, we appreciate the work.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:23 pm

The track feels so much smoother. I mean damn, it's REALLY noticeable. I still flip on rare occasion, but it;s a LOT less common.

Also: http://i.imgur.com/ImiH6e9.jpg
Thank you so much

Also yeah, you can skip the hairpin tunnel now. That on purpose?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Yeah you can skip the hairpin, but you lose a ton of speed, so I think it's not really a shortcut. Have to do more testing to know for sure, but I thought I'd let it fly for this patch

@Raion: Gotcha ;)

Regarding the shortcut, it's only supposed to be for the players who take the jump, that's why I blocked it

@Kmac: all wheel steering doesn't work past something like 80 kmph.

I'll look into that tunnel issue. I have no idea what that is happening, as I never see it on my end

Also, yeah, AI needs work still. Small improvements for the meantime
Game Director
GRIP

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah you can skip the hairpin, but you lose a ton of speed, so I think it's not really a shortcut. Have to do more testing to know for sure, but I thought I'd let it fly for this patch

@Raion: Gotcha ;)

Regarding the shortcut, it's only supposed to be for the players who take the jump, that's why I blocked it

@Kmac: all wheel steering doesn't work past something like 80 kmph.

I'll look into that tunnel issue. I have no idea what that is happening, as I never see it on my end

Also, yeah, AI needs work still. Small improvements for the meantime

Ah, but you see, now I'm curious: since there still is an opening that makes it possible to drive in, but needs a more drastic loss in speed to maneuver around the obstacle, I wonder is a skilled player, armed with a boost maybe, could still make it worthwhile, just as the new opening before the hairpin taunts you to.

Adding some traditional racing skill opportunities to the track... intriguing.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah you can skip the hairpin, but you lose a ton of speed, so I think it's not really a shortcut. Have to do more testing to know for sure, but I thought I'd let it fly for this patch

I think that new shortcut is miles faster but you have to slow down/skip some weapons so it's risky, run the chance of getting rammed/shot at or just botching the landing heh.

At least in the current iteration, that's what I think. Maybe when there's other weapons, thinks like boost pads (do you plan those?) it might be far more risky a jump.

Also that shortcut with the jump over the rocks is pretty much impossible if you're in 1st with catchup on. Not enough speed. Maybe that's a good thing; means that you have to go a different way round if you're in the top 3. ;) I never take it anyway, too unreliable.

Great job so far, guys. Seriously. :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:09 pm

yeah that new shortcut has got to go, or be modified, as it's far too quick. I'll just go and screw it up for you all :D

As for the rock tunnel jump over the rock barrier, I think adding it makes things more balanced, as that is by far the quickest route, and is easily taken by a pro. More balancing needed maybe, but we'll see
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Woohoo the patch is out :D Great work dev team, I'll try it out when I get home tomorrow.
Also, thank you for patchnotes <3
You're just a voice pal.

RadeonX1950

Postby RadeonX1950 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Car controls are much smoother and predictable now. Less spin-ups, more fun :) Great patch.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Good to hear :)

Updated the list with more changes I missed the first time
Game Director
GRIP

codemonkey
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby codemonkey » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:34 pm

KazzyMac wrote:Crashing out-of-track for me was always a 'hold the reset-car button' so I don't think it's been neutered. Crashing off the course is still a pain and still probably quicker to use reset-car so :P

Enjoying this patch though. So far I've had no real problems as far as randomly stopping/spinning/flipping on jumps goes. The car still pirouettes if you land and bounce though, but at least now it seems that extreme-speed jumps are more predictable. Pretty sure Rob will get on top of that eventually ((Honestly? I think it's to do with the cars having all-wheel steering but I could just be overthinking it :P ))

Just to note - on High speed, the first shortcut 'tunnel' on Industrial, there seems to be something the car hits halfway through the bend and makes it bounce. Maybe it's just going too fast, dunno. But 7/8 laps through there I heard a 'chink' and the car hopped so... yeah.

AI is better but not perfect; I've seen them get stuck in certain spots against objects that they keep reversing away from and trying to drive into again (such as the shortcuts under the cranes on the figure-8 track). Methinks what's happened is they've overshot or been blown up and are trying to get back to the spline (which is under the crane) and they can't get to it. Yet to see any 'stuck' cars on Industrial, though the AI are pretty slow ;-)

Question; is that new shortcut on Industrial intentional? ;)

Sadly, the abrupt landings are not really much to do with tyre responses - they're wholly down to PhysX responses to car body collision with the terrain. They're not being handled in the correct way down deep in the PhysX core, considering that we request no friction or restitution on the car body itself. It is a priority now to get this fixed, so we'll just have start diagnosing / repairing the PhysX core to reach a solution.
Rob
Technical Honcho
Caged Element

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Is that why the car bounces on landing? Or is that a separate issue?

That's really weird that PhysX isn't behaving how it's supposed to be... didn't think it could be something as deeply-rooted as that. Confident you'll get to the bottom of it though, you're a wizard. xP

meskalamdug
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby meskalamdug » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:48 pm

RadeonX1950 wrote:Car controls are much smoother and predictable now. Less spin-ups, more fun :) Great patch.

Exactly! I started to enjoy GRIP now to be honest. :lol:

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Awesome patch!
I don't hate the icons anymore (the white edges are a nice touch), the tracks are better and there are very noticeable improvements all around, but I've gotta admit...
The improved handling and collision model of the cars takes the cake.
The cars are ridiculously stable compared to 1.0.2.0 and so much more fun to drive now :)

should've used the physx logo.jpg
should've used the physx logo.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 6872 times

Return to “Announcements”