Patch v.1.0.7 Released!

This forum is designated for PATCH NOTES and other official information
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Patch v.1.0.7 Released!

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Patch notes can be found here: https://www.cagedelement.com/grip/temp/Patch_v1.0.7.htm

Or below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRIP Early Access Release v.1.0.7 is now live!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This patch is a big one, in that it allows players to tweak the vehicle's steering, as well as improves upon the catch-up feature andoverall difficulty levels. This should allow new and old players of GRIP to get the best experience out of the game. One that caters to their style and skill.

Plus, we've tweaked the vehicle's stability, making it respond better to collisions at high speeds.Overall, thedriving experience in this version has greatly improved from 1.0.6

Here are the changes in patch 1.0.7

Levels:
  • Industrial: Added many blocking volumes, objects and smoothed terrain to create more flow and a less punishing environment
  • Alhatra Wastes: Fixed many visual errors, smoothed some terrain and improved overall flow
  • Transport: Created proper boundaries, improved flow and fixed Assassin missile navigation
  • Festive: Smoothed a bunch of terrain to improve traversal

Gameplay:
  • Vehicle now reacts more subtly to collisions at high speed and is overall more forgiving.This has much improved vehicle handling in general
  • Steering sensitivity can now be set in the control options (separate settings for keyboard and gamepad)
  • Steering speed (response) can now be set in the control options
  • Greatly improved Difficulty settings to better reflect each option. Low difficulty is now reasonable for beginners
  • Vehicle engine power can be set to medium, high and crazy
  • Time Trial is now available as a game mode (no ghost car currently)
  • Weapon allocation has been improved, based on feedback
  • Catch-up feature has been improved in relation to difficulty settings
  • General AI improvements
  • Car vs car collisions are now less catastrophic
Visual:
  • UI has been fixed for 16x10 resolutions
  • Intoduced some HUD effects
  • New menu font
  • New scoreboard with more data

If you want to give feedback, or need to report any issues, please visit our forum (be sure to check the bugs and crashes lists before posting):
forum.cagedelement.com

Or you can visit the Steam Page

To all of our players, thank you for supporting us, and we hope you'll like what we've got coming in our next updates!

ImageImageImageImage

Copyright © 2015 Caged Element, All rights reserved.

gripvideogame.com

Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Patch v.1.0.7 Released!

Postby WROB3L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 pm

This new update. ITS SOOOO GOOOOOOOD <3333 the new speed setting is brilliant! But cars still feel a little weird to me, i doesnt feel the weight of them. wat do? Btw. Did you guys changed the sensitivity? Low feels different now :D I dunno but im in love with this update. Time Trial is so fast! ITS SANIC FEST! LUV IT.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:12 pm

Aw yeah! :D
Edit: I LOVE the new time trial mode, always wanted that gamemode :D My current record on Yuri industrial is 0.59.17, beat me guys ;)
Edit 2: sh*t I was beat hard already :shock:
Last edited by StickyBassline on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're just a voice pal.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Visual:
  • UI has been fixed for 16x10 resolutions

And broken for most others :mrgreen:
I cant see what power ups i have. Still winning though :P

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Excellent update! Few (fun) bugs but excellent update!! I will spend hours on Time Trial (Could you change the settings of this mode btw? Because there isn't any difficulty, catch-up, or opponent to have while I'm racing alone :p) . And those new feelings with the car *_*, ok, I bumped a bit in Alhatra Wastes but not bad! (Still ending first B-))
Keep going CE!!!!
Luv You <3
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

nellybergamo

Postby nellybergamo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Dinggggg! Best laptime already down to 51.30 sec and rapidly descending, time trial is the best ever :D

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Nice patch. :P

Random questions because I'm a little uncertain and would like clarification from the devs since I'm struggling to tell the differences.

a) What's the differences between the 'steering speed' and 'steering sensitivity'? What's the differences between Low and High?

b) How does the difficulty affect the catchup? Then again I only play on Hard regardless of the speed setting so :P

Nonetheless the car feels good, really quite snappy now so it's fun to throw it into a corner. I still think the leaders are getting slowed down a bit too much though. Weapon spread seems a lot fairer too (seen plenty of assassins still but nowhere near as many as before) ;)

Thumbs up.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Cornkid

Postby Cornkid » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Wild speed on a time trial is great.

I then sussed that with power-ups enabled its just mental, I think I got 1 clean lap out of each 5, damn those boosts are too tempting ;)

The catch up has a massive speed difference depending on what position you are in a race , maybe too much , but I get that its there for a reason.

Nice work devs , you should be proud ;)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:18 am

with each update it's obviously getting better, so I can't simply say complements right? but instead I got big respect for all the talented people working hard on their stuff to create awesome game. I can't say how much I wish you all to succeed ;)
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:35 am

Time trial... thank you (I waited so long)
Well I think Time trial is really good finding map related bugs whitout the bothersome AI (JESTER :evil:) and collison problems whitt he terrain.
But my only question is about the steering sensitivity, which one is for keyboard or gamepad?
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 am

What the ... you guys just blew my mind :o

Yuri on Timetrail with wild speed thats just crazy. This is turning into a pinball flightsimulator sooo good.

Transport has nicer flow now. But i noticed that it still has the old electric fences. The "new" ones (triangle shaped) that are used in yuri for example would be better. For one reason because the invisible wall is not perfect yet.

What i would like to see is our new record time being highlighted in green color and having some short effect for 3 sec when achieved.

Whats the diffrence betwen analog and digital steering speed?

Cornkid

Postby Cornkid » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:55 am

digital speed is the pressing of a button, full on or full off,

analog is say a gas pedal or trigger on a controller, as in you can scale the input.

Forza

Postby Forza » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 am

Magnificient work! With the updated physics and track flow, the game really starts to get the feel and speed of Rollcage 1.

SpikeX

Postby SpikeX » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 am

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! I like the new sensitivity options and controls, I love the flow in all the tracks (except transport still being a b****h with all them blocks and walls in the tunnels) and i love the new menu.. Nice work with this patch :) Can't wait to see more ^^

Giovanni
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Giovanni » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:52 am

Wow, Chris, great updates, keep it up, proud of you.

On a more detailed note I had some HUD issues until a small patch came in and up and went to fix that though I'm not sure what else it did other than just fixing up the HUD. The handling settings are simply AMAZING as I can now finally dominate in the game without the use of a controller, and well, I haven't tried the other tracks yet to see what's changed yet but I am hoping to see if there would be a way to make the obstacles in Transport more easier to see as at some rare points it's hard for me to witness them until it's too late. And now this one is separate but just an idea is that I was thinking if the obstacles that block paths in the tunnel would be moving, or not at all but I think that'd be more than fitting for some "track difficulty/complexity" option.

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Amazing work, gents.

Track flow in general is significantly improved. The A.I. Drivers feel much more "alive" using more of the track, and they seem to keep in tighter grouping, even with catchup off. They more seldomly get WAY ahead or WAY behind the pack.

Overall the steering sensitivity and general controllability has been improved.
However, and maybe this is intentional, I have difficulty making very fine steering adjustments at high speed without putting the car into short oversteers (feels like body roll), even with very light taps on the analog stick with sensitivity on "low".

I love seeing the progress on the Liddo5 track.
I noticed a very slight performance hit inside the tunnels here, enough to push frame rates below 60. It's not huge, but the slowdown doesn't occur anywhere else in the game and didn't happen in 1.0.6.

Win7
Core i7-6700k 4GHz
Nvidia Gtx 960
16Gb DDR4

Nebuchaddy

Postby Nebuchaddy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm really loving the update.

Vehicle feels much more responsive in high sensitivity, and I think that it being "too" sensitive when at low speeds it's a nice balance.

Now I don't always end up first! That's great, now AI feels more realistic, placing mines in tighter spots, catching up with the pack, using power-ups much more effectively and so on.

Wild speed is... well, pretty wild. Using boosts and reaching up to 700-730 km/h is pretty rad. It feels like you are going to desintegrate or something.

Though, not everything is perfect, here are some minor things I've found.

- Bumps are still lil' bit***s. More so when you land from a jump, specially in Wild and High speed.
- Debris pieces are alsos lil bit***s. Those damn barrels in Yuri Industrial have screwed me up a lot of times. You just barely touch them and you lose control almost instantly.
- Sound is a bit so-so at the moment. One of the things that translated a lot of the action and the stress and the speed in "Split/Second" was that awesome sound design. Passing through flames, the explosions, the "muting" before a big event... I think GRIP still lack that aspect. Engines need to sound MORE powerful. Explosions need to feel MORE roaring.
- The bushes in Alhatra Wastes add a nice touch, but please, add more variety, it's like seeing the same bush (which I think it is) a lot of times.
- Floating billboards like in Rollcage anyone?
- You know those little arches in Yuri Industril at the begginning when the shortcut meets with the exit of the tunnel? I bump on those a lot when I came out flying from the shortcut tunnel. Making them destructible, just the above part, would make it easier and enjoyable to boost out of the shortcut, and also destroying them and sending a lot of beams and debris flying would be awesome.

Anyway, the patch is great, the handling and the physics feel like they are almost done. I'd love to start seeing more detail, sound design and tracks and game modes soon. But it's like working on an old house; you need to work first on piping and the cables and isolation and so on which it's boring because it is something you don't see. But when you finish the house and you have a beautiful AND efficent house, it's worth it.

Way to go, CE!
I'm Spanish god dammit sorry for my effing grammar jeez.

airco

Postby airco » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:02 am

ui works perfect for me now, cant goof it anymore no mather what i do

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 am

Glad you guys like the latest version!

Also, just a note, since I've seen something like this posted on the forum a few times... I'm not the only developer on this game, and although I appreciate the comments like "Great job Chris!", there's way more going on behind the scenes coming from the rest of the team. Especially Rob. ;)

But again, appreciate the enthusiasm :D

Quick responses to your feedback:

-That's great that the HUD works fine for everyone now

-lol @ Sticky's double edit to his post

-Time Trial was implemented rather quickly. We'll have a proper race setup menu for it soon

-"Steering Speed" is the response time from the controller input to the tires actually doing something on screen. So, lag. This helps keyboard users, mainly. "Steering Sensitivity" is the actual amount the tires move due to input. Just think about how mouse sensitivity works.

-Difficulty has a plethora of settings apart from catch-up, but they do go hand-in hand. We'll be tweaking catch-up quite a bit as it's still not where we want it

-Analog steering is gamepad, digital is controller. Keyboard speed should be lower as it's very twitchy

-Django that suggestion about record time is a good one. Please make a new thread about it, and any other related highlight kinda stuff

-Transport's obstacles still aren't final. I'll need to go through that map a ton of times to see the optimal placement for them

-Moving obstacles right now isn't going to happen, as the AI isn't smart enough yet. We do want them though!

-The car at high speeds is very hard to control, yes. This is pretty justified, but I agree that there is maybe too much oversteer, as if the wheel locks a bit

-Transport tunnels are indeed heavy on performance. working on that

-The sound in the game is very bare bones right now. We haven't put much resources into them because we need to hook up software like FMOD first. The sound will be fantastic, mark my words. We have some REALLY talented people involved.

-Agree about the arches on Yuri Industrial being destructible or something. Can't boost out of the tunnel properly.
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:43 pm

thats why i always respect every person in the team, not just chris. good job as always :D
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Announcements”