Rollcage 1 vs Rollcage Stage 2

Our favourite racing game. The game that GRIP is deeply inspired by.

Talk about it here.
Stage III

Rollcage 1 vs Rollcage Stage 2

Postby Stage III » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:45 pm

My post got deleted (timeout) so Im gonna make it short
Rolcage 1 is the better game game. I wil give you three main reasons in my opinion

1. Physics
RC1 had a wonderful physics engine compared to RC2. Controlling cars and maintaning speed was a main aspect of this game that I enjoy. Also, there is a certain kind of mastery involved when position and recovering from jumps and crashes. Also RC2 cars seemed to glued. This kind of gives an not quite an on rails feeling, so to say, but driving that feels disengaging. Also I hated the BACKWARDS ASS camera of RC2 when driving in opposite direction! Grip I hope does not use this camera, its very of putting!!! Finally RC2 had a very diminutive feel as far as scale (tracks ans cars). Where as RC1 had an certain openness about it.

2.Tracks
Every track in RC1 was good! OK? (Even Super Bowl is fun 20+ laps Expert) Each track is distinctive and had character. RC2 tracks were honestly all filler execpt 2 or 3 from Jumpgate or Skyway. Furhtermore, RC2 had an over use of loops. I known thats RC main characteristic but its too much!

3. Cars
RC2 had way too many. Grip only need 6 (up to 8 if balance is no issue) and if neccesary only 2 classes Beginner and Expert. If not just scale the difficulty of opponents in levels as in RC1.

RC2 had scramble though. A mode fitting of Rollcage.

Opinions?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Rollcage 1 vs Rollcage Stage 2

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:02 pm

• Tracks : While I like those of Rollcage Stage 2, I tend to prefer those of Rollcage. Though, both are good, really.
  • Weapons : Rollcage is obviously more balanced than Rollcage Stage 2. In Rollcage Stage 2 there is a bunch of powerups that are not that useful. In Rollcage, each and every powerup has its usefulness. Also, RS2 teleport is easily the most broken powerup i have ever seen.
  • Cars : Yeah, in Rollcage Stage 2, basically : Genesis > Scorpion > Wolf > others. In lower tiers, you can have some kind of car selection ; but then the gameplay is way too slow. In higher tiers, you have to take the Scorpion to be competitive.
  • Driving : Even being an old fan of Rollcage Stage 2, I have to admit that Rollcage physics are much funnier than Rollcage Stage 2 physics. It's just so easy in Rollcage Stage 2 - proof : I could finish the master campaign being 8 years old, with a Wolf :P (Genesis was too fast for me though - now it's the Wolf who is too slow for me)

Stage III wrote:Every track in RC1 was good! OK? (Even Super Bowl is fun 20+ laps Expert)

Are you part of the landvaarder's secret Superbowl cult ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 am

Posting that here will just start a circle jerk of how RC1 was way better lol

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 am

WROB3L might barge in here and spout his lunacy about RC2 being better, but we all know he's loco anyway.
Either way, RollingGuyMaster is right ;p

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage/discussions/3/35220315778034627/#c35219681600057459

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:15 am

I liked firebugs.
Bring it on.

Satisified with your official warning, you Italian scum? ~Broscar
Lol, sh*t, I can't remove it now :')
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:02 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:I liked firebugs.
Bring it on.

Beware, that could be considered as trolling in a Rollcage/GRIP forum :ugeek:
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:52 am

sus

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:34 pm

I think it depends for what purpose the game is better.
RC1: long time Mulitplayer Gameplay
RC2: playthrough fun with different modes

Actually i like RC2 a bit more, because i didnt had rc1 as kid (no nostalgia) and i had no intention to play either on multiplayer.
Both have their cons and pros. Physiks-wise i didn liked the aspect of both: "touch something and you spin-out" (it feels like driving a toy car) and RC1 has some really weird landing physik (i hate Daytona cause of it, landing on the "bad"-side of the car is a poker game whether you are allowed to win the race or crash befor the finish... i didnt played it to often but its like a 50/50 chance)
Music is great on both games. Items RC2 has some cool addtion but the wormholes ruins it. I liked the car design more on rc2, but balance is off. rc1 is better balanced. Against "Stage III"s opinion, i liked the RC2 camera, when you crash, more, because in rc1 the camera zoomed in on the car, so i just saw a big car with a small spinning background and after that i didnt know in which direction in need to go. (especially in tunnels) However, both camera solutions arent the best.
Tracks: RC2 has some better usage of the flipp-over/driving on the ceiling mechanic, but the tracks where all pretty similar. RC1 has more variety.
Also scramble mode from RC2 is pretty fun.
Everything thing said is just a opinion :D there is no actual best.

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 am

I personally liked RC2 some what more as well. I did play RC1 as a kid at my friends house who had it on PS1. I managed to get RC2 for my birthday in 2000 from my grandfather as he was very computer savy.

I liked the fact the RC2 had more cars and a variety of leagues to choose from. I also enjoyed hunting for the Type III cars in the Masters Campaign although it took a massive number of retries to eventually get there. I'll admit that RC1 car physics were very good having played RC1 later on PC when I picked up a rare copy of it. The music and tracks are also very good in RC1.

The fact is I have not owned a PC since 2000 that has not had Rollcage Stage II running on it. I think that says alot in itself... 8-)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:04 pm

The fact Rollcage Stage 2 had some really good additional weapons, and Arena mode i spent countless hours on with a childhood best friend, makes me hesitant to agree with the majority preference of Rollcage 1.

Obviously Rollcage 1 has it's advantages too, but i'm going to have to say i don't have a preference. They have their individual qualities and i just love going back and playing both of them equally.

The only thing i think about is combining the best of both games with modern-day graphics and potential, and finally Grip has made that a reality. So i don't really think about these things! :D

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Where RC2 does have RC1 beat is in game cover. When I first saw RC2 cover I was very excited thinking "man they stepped up!" But when I played it was not as good as I believed it was hyped to be.
rollcage-stage-ii.jpg
rollcage-stage-ii.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 11026 times

VS

rocgpc0f.jpg
rocgpc0f.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 11026 times

So who wins in cover?

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 am

Rollcage 1.

Because Rollcage 2 has Yuri on the cover and yet he's not in-game. HOPES AND PROMISES DESTROYED. :I

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:07 am

Being the lonely no-life i am i liked stage 2s "minigames" and other unlockable content, but overall i prefer rc1 since its the one i played first.

Never managed to get gold in all of the scrambles though but nowdays i cant really go back to rc2 after playing so much rc1 online against these beautiful peeps at rollcage group, The game feels like theres a speed cap because you accelrate to max speed almost immediately and stay at that point (least genesis).

Dups

Postby Dups » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 am

Rollcage = quality
Rollcage 2 = quantity

/thread
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:38 pm

I prefer the Rollcage 1 cover, personally.

Whiskey
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Whiskey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:46 am

I always enjoyed Rollcage Stage II more, it just felt more filled out and the overall visual design and environment fidelity is what sold it to me. That combined with the soundtrack on the ps2 version of RCSII! Not to say Rollcage 1 was inferior in anyway, hey I only got the sequel because the first one was so damn good. I think it was more of a time and place thing for me, the whole 'Büro Destruct' http://burodestruct.net/publication/buro-destruct-vol-i stylings on the second one just struck a chord with me at the time.

Fate
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Fate » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:34 pm

This was fun to read.

For what it's worth, I prefer RC1 physics and camera... but the feedback we got was that it was too difficult. So we had to adjust it a bit to make it more forgiving for RC2. Unfortunately making it feel less responsive, I think, in the process.

Superbowl. I love Superbowl. I knocked it up one night while waiting for the local takeaway to deliver our curry. I'd been meaning to play around with powersliding on the ceiling... It wasn't quite what I was hoping but it was a laugh so I stuck it in a build and we played it to death over LAN. Then it was a question of setting the high score table targets... Had the whole company trying. I didn't think it was necessary to tell anyone for a while about why I'd placed that billboard by the finish line ;)
Anyway - it made it into the game, and I'm glad it did.

-David
David Perryman
Producer/Designer
Grip

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Fate wrote:Superbowl. I love Superbowl.

And Firefox on Rollcage Stage 2 is the most amazing deathmatch track I have ever seen
These drillers continuously drilling and looping, that's priceless :D

During the first races of the Rollcage group, we played extensively Firefox with unreal, LustVanGoth and WROB3L.
This was a damn lot of fun :)

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Fate wrote:I didn't think it was necessary to tell anyone for a while about why I'd placed that billboard by the finish line

Something something EasterEgg we need to know about something...

-edit
potterman28wxcv wrote:These drillers continuously drilling

Drillers gotta drill.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:49 am

I prefer 2 because I like the wider selection of vehicles and I played it more when I was a kid
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Return to “Rollcage”