The last of a dying breed...

Our favourite racing game. The game that GRIP is deeply inspired by.

Talk about it here.
Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

The last of a dying breed...

Postby Falkerz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:57 am

I was just sitting here, in University, counting the minutes before I really need a coffee. And I realised something. Many of the people here are amongst the only publically known remaining players of the Rollcage Games. And that makes me sad.

We should dedicate a section of these forums to our great idol. Our one true inspiration. Our founding father if you will. The great and powerful Rollcage. We must spread the word, teach the masses, and ensure the flame of the Rollcage Neo mode continues on. For if we don't, the origins of the next great chapter, GRIP, will forever be lost to the data sticks of history...
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: The last of a dying breed...

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:17 pm

There you go :) Chris just created a new Rollcage subsection within Off-Topic.

Let's teach these newbies a lesson !
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:04 am

Literally didn't even notice that. Took me about 15 minutes to see where this topic had gone. I blame my eyes... Thanks Chris!

Perhaps a video tutorial series, "The History of Rollcage, and How to Git Gud"
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:58 am

Falkerz wrote:Perhaps a video tutorial series, "The History of Rollcage, and How to Git Gud"

That would be awesome!

Interview with Broscar, potterman, kmac(as winner of the normal tournament), t_n_o and me(shameless arrogance ^-^) on the git gud part
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:03 am

landvaarder wrote:
Falkerz wrote:Perhaps a video tutorial series, "The History of Rollcage, and How to Git Gud"

That would be awesome!

Interview with Broscar, potterman, kmac(as winner of the normal tournament), t_n_o and me(shameless arrogance ^-^) on the git gud part

Part 1 - What are these rockets ?? How do I shoot ??
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 am

Falkerz wrote:We should dedicate a section of these forums to our great idol. Our one true inspiration. Our founding father if you will. The great and powerful Rollcage. We must spread the word, teach the masses, and ensure the flame of the Rollcage Neo mode continues on. For if we don't, the origins of the next great chapter, GRIP, will forever be lost to the data sticks of history...

Seriously thinking Rollcage as a religion is a bad idea. This is the point where on the gaming forum: the good game fans turn in to a seriously loyal fans (the bad kind) who defend there "idol" whit every thing they got and don't except the facts it have some problems. Don't make me wrong I love Rollcage myself, but there some things I really don't like (for example: the grip is not so good).
I sound offensive, but I don't want to see other people thinking about our community as "OMG another FANGROUP" instead of "You from that community I heard they they good guys".
A game is a game so keep it that way.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:
Falkerz wrote:We should dedicate a section of these forums to our great idol. Our one true inspiration. Our founding father if you will. The great and powerful Rollcage. We must spread the word, teach the masses, and ensure the flame of the Rollcage Neo mode continues on. For if we don't, the origins of the next great chapter, GRIP, will forever be lost to the data sticks of history...

Seriously thinking Rollcage as a religion is a bad idea. This is the point where on the gaming forum: the good game fans turn in to a seriously loyal fans (the bad kind) who defend there "idol" whit every thing they got and don't except the facts it have some problems. Don't make me wrong I love Rollcage myself, but there some things I really don't like (for example: the grip is not so good).
I sound offensive, but I don't want to see other people thinking about our community as "OMG another FANGROUP" instead of "You from that community I heard they they good guys".
A game is a game so keep it that way.

No worries, I don't think anyone is worshiping the Rollcage god here. Heretics, all of you !

Rollcage is part of the culture of GRIP. You can't really mention GRIP without mentionning Rollcage.
Also, right now a majority of GRIP players are Rollcage fans.. So yeah, it's hard to start a discussion that won't be quoting Rollcage.

As time goes, I think new people will come (the kind of people who never heard of Rollcage), and then we will start having a more varied community.

In my opinion I'm glad most of the members here are open-minded - in the sense that they don't frown at each detail that is not exactly like Rollcage

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Raion
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Raion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:Rollcage is part of the culture of GRIP. You can't really mention GRIP without mentionning Rollcage.

That is an issue though, innit. That's why we're here. We can't help it.
I myself went on a passionate argument in the music topic where I basically whined "I don't like the new music, Rollcage did it better!"
Yes, I want Grip to succeed and be awesome in it's own right, and I'm sure I'll get used to the new feel of the game, but... I secretly hope it's gonna be successful enough to reach modding tools status, at which point someone will do a Rollcage total conversion for it.

That being said, I don't love Rollcage that much to subscribe to it's church. :P
If I were to drink the cool aid for any game, it would be Monster Hunter. :D

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Wow guys. I'm not trying to start a cult. Even I acknowledge there's problems, namely with collision detection at such high speeds and the grip issues. Needless to say though, considering when it was made and how it worked, I can't think of many games that pushed the envelope in such a unique way. That's why I think we need this, as it's something that really changed a lot of things. Wipeout wouldn't really have been Wipeout if Psygnosis hadn't done Rollcage first...

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Raion wrote:That is an issue though, innit. That's why we're here. We can't help it.
I myself went on a passionate argument in the music topic where I basically whined "I don't like the new music, Rollcage did it better!"

Well its a proper argument if its true. But problem is people high on fandom probably wouldnt know. So how can we know if we really know, what we think that we know?

Speaking about fandom ...

There is only one God and hes the Dude ... or something. Since im a self declared priest i transfer to you his holy message:
He wants you to dont give a f*ck ... or som'thin.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Falkerz wrote:Wow guys. I'm not trying to start a cult.

I had all my hopes in you.. I was about to ask Chris to name you our official Rollcage High Priest :(

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:10 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Falkerz wrote:Wow guys. I'm not trying to start a cult.

I had all my hopes in you.. I was about to ask Chris to name you our official Rollcage High Priest :(

I still could be. Provided you don't mine me being harder to find than a purple unicorn...

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:36 am

I personally haven't played Rollcage, or Firebugs. My experience with Rollcage is with Rollcage SII, which I found at Disc Replay a couple years ago (I saw it again more recently at a little game store called Reaction Games, for anyone near South Bend, IN looking for a copy! Think Disc Replay has another copy, too). I love SII, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the original if I ever decided to look for an emulator or find a copy in store, and I wouldn't mind trying to find a copy of Firebugs, either.

My point is, Rollcage fans will never truly die off. There's always gonna be that one person who found an old physical copy in a store or randomly found it online, and came looking for more, only to find GRIP and the insane community that flocked to it like moths to a light.
Very fast moths, of course :P
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 am

DriftRacer14 wrote:Think Disc Replay has another copy, too). I love SII, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the original if I ever decided to look for an emulator or find a copy in store, and I wouldn't mind trying to find a copy of Firebugs, either.

You dont need the old CDs. There are fan versions adaptions of R1 & R2 made by people in this community which run on modern operating Systems.

Rollcage Redux and Rollcage Extreme. Just look for the Rollcage Group in Steam for more information.
Last edited by Django on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

playabot

Postby playabot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am

Let the legend live on :)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Django, those aren't exactly 'fan' versions.

Also #banDups.

Return to “Rollcage”