POLL: Should the shield have a timer for limited use?

A place where the GRIP devs poll for feedback on various topics.

Please stay on topic in each poll's corresponding thread

Should the shield have a timer for limited use?

Shield is on a timer, and takes up an inventory slot while engaged
15%
Shield is on a timer, but doesn't take up an inventory slot while engaged
36%
Shield is NOT on a timer, and takes up an inventory slot while engaged
6%
Shield is NOT on a timer, and doesn't take up an inventory slot (current implementation)
42%

Total votes: 33

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

POLL: Should the shield have a timer for limited use?

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:48 am

It's been a bit of a debate on the forums recently, whether the shield should have a timer so that it's not permanent unless damaged. This could add more strategy and prevent the leader from being so dominant.

Ex. First place player in front picks up a shield. Now they have to hold onto it in case there's an incoming threat, rather than just use it and forget about it (plus opening up an inventory slot)

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think a timer is a good idea, or bringing back the shield taking up an inventory slot at all times

EDIT: I've changed the poll options for more choice
Game Director
GRIP

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: POLL: Should the shield have a timer for limited use?

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:03 pm

A timer would be nice - it would add a bit of action and timing rather than the current fire-and-forget mechanism. Also, it will make the leader ask the question "should I keep it, or fire it to have a chance to get a turbo ?".

Chris_CE wrote:Also, if the shield is on a timer, should it then occupy an inventory slot?

If it occupies a slot, it would be very nice to switch it backward/forward. If you switch it forward, it could protect you against mines - backwards, it would protect you against the assassin. I'm all up for it. But then in this case, it has to have a timer - you don't want your shield to occupy indefinitely a slot.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:12 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:Also, if the shield is on a timer, should it then occupy an inventory slot?
If it occupies a slot, it would be very nice to switch it backward/forward. If you switch it forward, it could protect you against mines - backwards, it would protect you against the assassin. I'm all up for it. But then in this case, it has to have a timer - you don't want your shield to occupy indefinitely a slot.

Yeah we'll definitely have the shield able to switch from front to back.

If that's available, I'd like to see the permanent use of an inventory slot come back (while shield is active). This way, the player is able to press the "use inventory" input for that slot and switch the shield from front to back or back to front
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I decided to vote for the first option.

I know people are going to wonder why, and to be honest? It's a tough call. The 'inspiration' games behind Grip are unique in their shield mechanics compared to games of similar genre, which sets it apart, but with the way things currently are in terms of weapons and such having a permanent shield in the same vein might be making first place too easy to keep hold of.

It's a tough call because changing the mechanics of the shield can have a lot of knock-on effects for balance -- I understand this -- but we all here should know how the shield behaves as it is and at the very least I feel we should all try and see how the game fares with a shield that lasts for only ten seconds but is going to deflect pretty much everything that gets thrown at it. For all we know it could vastly improve the balance of the game and make being in first place more challenging (and not just a target for assassin spam). Or it could end up being sucky and needs to be reverted back, but yeah.

As for slots, I feel the shield may need a permanent slot until it's depleted/destroyed/etc. Easiest way to have a button to flip the shield back and forth when that's implemented.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Not my first choice but I say slot is taken when active (I agree it could allow the flip flop mechanics to forward the shield ref. above - I see the appeal and we need to test this).

Initially I would have voted for no timer PROVIDED mines had NO timer either, but I can see the horrendous situation when you get stuck with an occupied slot forever. Consequently, 'voted timer.

A visual clue of the remaining time should somewhat appear if this solution is chosen (like a depleting "loading bar" integrated in the 3D shield model - would be very cool).

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Voted for
Shield is NOT on a timer, and doesn't take up an inventory slot (current implementation)

since i think players would teamwork a lot more in multiplayer. If i see an assassin flying over me i will fire my own and EMP disables the shield. Additionally the shield isn't even strong enough to defend against a singe minigun if the is able to aim just a little.
Id say test the current version of the shield and if it is too strong it can be changed.
But even then i think it should be like this option:
Shield is on a timer, but doesn't take up an inventory slot while engaged

because if you get it in a situation where it is not useful you cant get rid of it. Same goes for the minigun obviously but that is a different story. (just imagine getting both, a shield and a minigun -> Both slots blocked forever)
However if the shield will be on a timer, i think it should be a short one and the shield should be indestructible while active.

I also think that it should be movable to the front to avoid mines and other stuff as the minigun (and potentialy the Railgun and/or Stingers) already takes that spot.
Besides: Isn't the Assassin supposed to pass the player and attack him form the front some day? Wouldn't being able so switch the shield to the front make it even stronger when being in first place then?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the votes/comments guys

I think we'll keep it as is for now. Once more pickups are in the game it will change the dynamic and we'll see how everything interacts with each other.

And yea, we'll have the shield able to switch to the front as well as other functionality which is not yet in
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:54 pm

If you do plan on making the shield take up the inventory slot, there should be a way to get rid of it. Like pressing the fire button for that weapon slot would get rid of it.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

fenixblue

Postby fenixblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm

necro-reviving this 2 year thread.
My opinion is IF the shield only blocked the main weapons then having it always on would be fine, like dragging a green-shell behind me as a means of protection from the back. BUT since it can also block this game's blue-shell with the Assassin then I would say in the current implementation it's too powerful and very boring when you are out in first with getting a shield easily as a fire and forget protection. Meanwhile the Horn in MK8 can block the blue-shell but has to be triggered. So a timer that runs out like UT2k'4s Shield Gun would be a good in-between.

Return to “Developer Polls”