POLL: Does the pick-up inventory "fade out" time bother you?

A place where the GRIP devs poll for feedback on various topics.

Please stay on topic in each poll's corresponding thread

Do you want pickups to disappear after being used instead of fading out like they do now?

YES - Faster the better. All about speeeeed baby
62%
NO - I like how strategic it makes it. I'm Napoleon
38%

Total votes: 34

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

POLL: Does the pick-up inventory "fade out" time bother you?

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:37 pm

This was in response to this comment:

BlazeHedgehog wrote:If I could make a suggestion: I don't like that most of the weapons take a second or two to disappear from the weapon display. Until their icon is completely gone, you can't pick up a new weapon. I found myself holding on to something like a mine and thinking "Oh I should get something else" and dumping it two feet before the next weapon pickup, driving through the pickup, and not getting anything because the HUD element wasn't finished fading out yet. I really want to be able to dump an item and pick up the next one as instantly as humanly possible (or, at least, where it makes sense, like with the EMP, mines and missiles).

As well as other comments I've seen about this.

Can you please vote in the poll: whether you'd rather the pickups just disappear when they're fully used, or if the current fade-out time of them is ok

Thanks!
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: POLL: Does the pick-up inventory "fade out" time bother you?

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:55 pm

(x)Yes

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Voted yes. As BlazeHedgehog said, it makes sense that:
  • "EMP, mines and missiles" could insta disappear
However IMO, Minigun, speed boost and shield can suffer a fade out timer, as their use has a "lasting" effect on the car (whereas you just "drop" mines and "launch" missiles). Seems fair you pay it off somehow.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Weapons that have an "Active Time" (like the Raptor or the Turbo) should remain in your inventory while active (shield excepting), but things that you just fire and are done with (EMP, Scorpion, etc) should disappear immediately.

Perhaps for the Assassin leave it so it appears as "Active" until it's fully locked on, then have it disappear.

As soon as any "Active Time" ends though the powerup should be gone, or at least fade out a lot faster than it does. I haven't actually clocked it, but it feels like it's a full second, if not longer, and that's a lot of time in GRIP.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I agree with above statements. Pick-ups that actually work like turbo and machine gun, maybe even EMP, should have a fade-out, as in transparent while they're active and then disappear insta mode, not fade out, but others should be just insta.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:26 pm

I actually like the delay but I'm one over hundreds here...
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:33 am

I'm voting 'no'.

The length of the fade-out might be a little -too- long, but given the placement of most pickups on the track right now if the fade was instant, nothing would stop first/second from just intentionally driving over/spamming every single pickup to deprive everyone behind of anything useful (unless they're like, 20 seconds behind already).

I'm more concerned about keeping the ability of drivers behind to pick up weapons than allowing first to hog them all willy-nilly. The main thing is that I don't even know -what- the delay is in terms of how long it is.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:56 am

maybe add a little blink or a sound when the animation finishes and you are able to pick up a new item? i cant tell very well how long the delay is if i dont directly look at the items.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:58 pm

KazzyMac wrote: nothing would stop first/second from just intentionally driving over/spamming every single pickup to deprive everyone behind of anything useful (unless they're like, 20 seconds behind already).

...or respawn pickup rate get accelerated just enough so that this strategy isn't viable ;). Indeed:
  • A rate of 1 respawn/second isn't crazy: being 1 sec behind someone at 700km/h is roughly 200m !
  • This also means a 2sec fade-out consumes 400m of road at this speed ingame !! Perhaps THAT is broken :ugeek:
As others said, not all pickups should insta disappear anyway. You can accelerate the pace of weapon strategy (at least decrease some timers) without breaking the game.

Edit: weapon stacking can mitigate the drawback of a too frantic gameplay by enticing players to hold on to their pickup thus triggering less frequent events but with greater impact (which sounds like a good trade-off to me).

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:11 pm

No.

The delay isn't very long in my opinion. The fade out is cool, if you want to drop your mine and get a new powerup, it is only fair that you can't leave the mine 1 meter away from the powerup so that next guy has no chance of getting it without driving into the mine. If you are too slow to drop the mine on time to get a new powerup, that's on you. Also the little "strategic element" (makes me smile when I call it that) is cool, because there should be little something with the powerups, timing, thinking when is the right moment to use, little things like that, not just that LETS SPAM ALL THIS OUT AND GET NEW POWERUPS YEAH. That is the same reason why I would even make the gattler wind-up time a little longer, and the fact that missiles crash on terrain if you launch them at wrong time.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 am

Looks like we're keeping the delay, but maybe reducing the time of it to please both crowds
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 am

it only bothers me with weapons that already block the slot while they are active (EMP/Minigun) as they already block it for quite some time. The small time for a mine or rocket to fade out doesn't bother me at all

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 pm

It's only fair that a pickup that is still active uses a slot for the duration. The EMP possibly not though, if I had to choose one
Game Director
GRIP

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:11 am

Well it happens every now and then that you miss a pickup just because the item is fading out. The min is allready on the ground, or the missile is allready in the air. (not bu much though but still, it doesnt occupy the weapons bay anymore.

Return to “Developer Polls”