Rogue and Warlander engine sounds

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Rogue and Warlander engine sounds

Postby agcue » Sat May 06, 2017 11:55 pm

The Rogue and Warlander engine sounds sound off to me...

To me the pitch and scream of Rogue sounds out of place in GRIP and the Warlander is all over the shop :cry:

Can really grate the nerves!

Splotchie

Re: Rogue and Warlander engine sounds

Postby Splotchie » Sun May 07, 2017 12:15 am

Yeah I like the deeper engine sounds. These are the sort of beasts that should roar. :)
+1
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Volken

Postby Volken » Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 am

Yeah I'd like the sounds to be emphasized more, also maybe improve the flow of the sound so it doesn't sound choppy on some vehicles like it does now.

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Sun May 07, 2017 6:38 am

I like that the rigs have all a personal engine sound! And they are all good IMO

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Sun May 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I absolutely love the sound of the Rogue. The only car's sound that bugs me is the Tempest. The bass in her voice steamrolls all the music, but aside from that it's great.

The truly unique sound every car is a subtle, but supremely great touch to the game's feel. So far the engine sounds even reflect their manufacturer's style too.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun May 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Sound is still a hot topic, so thanks for the feedback.

Some people love the current Rogue, some people don't. Honestly, that's a situation difficult to avoid.
It'll be tweaked so that it doesn't kill your speakers/ears at higher speeds/rpms though, that's certain.

I'll link this thread here as it has some users and Chris sharing ideal engine sounds:
General Sound Effects
You can post a few of your own in that thread if you so desire, but it'll also give you an impression on what others expect from the cars in GRIP :3

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon May 08, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm a fan of the Rogue's engine sound, as it fits with its theme as an F1-inspired racer (harking back to ye V10-V12 days) and reminds me of the similar-sounding engines from Rollcage, but like with most of the cars the variance of the sounds through different gears is too great and something that should (hopefully eventually) be changed so there's a bit more consistency(?) in the sounds regardless of speed.

Like I said I'm a fan, but at certain speeds the pitch of the engine is off. At proper racing speed it's great, but picking back up from a crash it momentarily sounds like it's going in reverse (lol), and then when it goes above 650km/h it sounds like it's trying to break my speakers with the combination of the super-high-pitched wail and that weird pulsing sound! Haha. Most of the other cars do this as well, but I know there are bigger things to be fiddling with than sound samples right now.

In all honesty, said 'pulsing' sound is the main gripe I have with the engine. It only kicks in ~600km/h+ and it hurts my ears. I don't mind the screaming high-pitched engine. ;)

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Sat May 13, 2017 5:12 am

yeah, my concern is not necessarily the inspiration or origin of the sound but the fluctuating pitch - with a bit of refinement i'm sure it will come together :)

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm

I would also have to agree that I think the screaming engine suits the car very well... the fact that on an engine that size the mean piston speed would be almost 5 times that of anything possible today to get those kind of revs doesn't bother me one bit even. :lol:

That being said... I didn't even notice the pulsing sounds... guess I will have to pay more attention.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 pm

I am a music person, and at first I really loved the sound of the Rogue, but it started to wear on me pretty quickly, and today it forced me to turn off the music because of the dissonance. After turning off the music I realized that the dissonance is in the engine sound itself.

When I listen carefully, the engine sound has four (sort-of) independent sounds. The quietest is a low sputtering rumble that you can hear from time to time, which I like. There is a medium-pitched whine that sort of drones in the background, but is still fairly quiet. On top are what sounds like two high-pitched F-1 sounds, which have small rapid fluctuations in pitch. Together, these high pitched sounds sound sort of like two (or maybe one and a half) F-1 cars together, but they clash with each other constantly, and they also clash with the medium-pitched drone. They are also loud and high enough to drown out everything else, and when there are other Rogues nearby, the two cars can often clash horribly. I recommend simplifying the high whine if possible to get a cleaner sound, lowering the pitch a little to reduce the dissonance and to make the car stand out a little less (dissonance is easier to hear at higher frequencies), and making the high whine much quieter until it is just an overtone for the engine, making the medium-pitched drone more prominent and possibly offsetting it from the high whine by some number of octaves (or some similarly consonant interval like a perfect fifth; this might reduce the dissonance) and making the low-pitch gurgle a bit louder. In short, I think the sound is too high-pitched and complex to sound good, and I don't think it has to sound so much like an F-1 car to still be reminiscent of one. Also, F-1 car sounds are distinct because of their high whine, but they still have a fair amount of base and medium tones.

I hope my ears haven't fooled me, because otherwise this post could amount to nothing. Also, I've been too lazy to record a sound file and analyze it, but I probably could if anyone really wants me to...

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat May 20, 2017 3:06 am

Wow, that's one detailed analysis I actually read!
If your hears are that sharp and CE can confirm your sound dissection, Rogue sound might have to be looked into

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Can't please everyone, and the Rogue seems to be no exception. ;)

Vehicle sounds will be tweaked later on, just like anything else in the game.

I've linked Yoshi (our student sound designer) to this thread so he can read your comments
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”