Poll: Damage or no damage?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts

What kind of damage would you like to see with Grip's cars?

None, I like my whip as clean as a whistle
5%
Scratches and burn marks, but nothing crazy
24%
Big dents and busted parts, but everything stays on the car.
41%
I want to see tires and pieces blown off those suckers
19%
Blow the whole car up! I'm crazy!
11%

Total votes: 326

ZzozZ

Re: Poll: Damage or no damage?

Postby ZzozZ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:13 am

I wold like to see clouds of dust and parts in front of me when im driving and shooting someone or someone in front of me shoot someone else. It will be cool to not know what is behind that cloud :D so you are going straight forward and hoping to not hit somthing :D Gmes like Burnout Paradise city or Need for speed hot pursuit ( the game after hot pursuit 2 :D ) have that kind of vision is cool :)

About slowing down or somthing in that sort i think is too much. You are hit by a rocket and you are losing all kind of control because of that hit ... why you need to be slow down ? :D In some cases you are going outside of the track .. :D
Machine gun also do that kind of stuff to your car and control over it so .... you are losing speed in evry case ... no penalty needed.
Blowing cars... HARD NO. I dont wana my race to end because im hited by 3 or 4 rockets in first lap :/ and than to restart the race. As i say you get enought problems from losing control and traction. This game is so fast so if you stop for 1 seccond you can go down with 3 or more positions !
If you make it like a mod or choose to breake or not im ok with it but please do not make it defult option. Lets keep rolcage immortal type spirit :)

Yavin

Postby Yavin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm

First post on the GRIP forum yay ! And sorry, i've never played any Rollcage ! So another point of view i guess ?

I'm just talking about damages in Races, mostly cosmetics. As codemonkey said, you need to see and "feel" the impact when a missile hits another car. Smoke, sparks, flames and parts flying ! Otherwise, no effect on driving. I love playing Flatout 2, and even if you rammed trees 3 times at 200/250kmh and your wheels aren't spinning straight anymore, you have no difference on driving (except when you lose 1 wheel but nah, can be frustrating).

But GRIP is no FlatOut, and i have no idea of what the UE4 is capable of. But really it would just be cosmetics.

I've seen the idea of self-repair with drones. What if in a distant futures, cars had something like "disposable armor panels" that could be dumped and replaced by drones (or something else) while racing ? Just having an idea right now. Take the moment in Death Race when they dump the Tombstone, but do it with armor panels and stuff in a more "techy" way of course.

Also, there are people that like their cars always shiny and clean, and some that don't mine scratches, bullet holes and missing parts. So this kind of instant repair could be sort of "on-demand" ?.

So far i'm enjoying this game a lot ! :)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:57 am

Welcome man :)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Yavin wrote:I've seen the idea of self-repair with drones. What if in a distant futures, cars had something like "disposable armor panels" that could be dumped and replaced by drones (or something else) while racing ?

Oh my god, You just made me imagine "calling" drones into the area of the track, dropping magnetic panels in one of 3 locations, when you drive through them they get into the cars magnetic field and zap into the body, acting like new armor panels
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 am

KazzyMac wrote:I'd like to go one further.

I'm all for visual damage as in dents and bits falling off (maybe) but perhaps the cars should over time 'repair' themselves using their ridiculous futuristic indestructible technology? (as in, over a period of maybe ... 10-15 seconds? The dents and stuff slowly get fixed and the car becomes good as new again).

I agree that the cars shouldn't be affected performance-wise. I would, however, fully go for some sort of permanent visual-damage system (bits coming off and staying off) but as an option, maybe. It's apparent that some people are against the cars taking more than temporary damage (which I respect obviously) but ... yeah. xP

Stroke of genius right there. Reminds me of this one movie I watched a while back involving aliens. The UFOs were made out of some material with a 'programmed shape'. If the material got dented, the material 'remembered' what shape it was in before the dent and tried its best to reform into this shape, with an incredibly high success rate.

0Blueaura wrote:
Yavin wrote:I've seen the idea of self-repair with drones. What if in a distant futures, cars had something like "disposable armor panels" that could be dumped and replaced by drones (or something else) while racing ?

Oh my god, You just made me imagine "calling" drones into the area of the track, dropping magnetic panels in one of 3 locations, when you drive through them they get into the cars magnetic field and zap into the body, acting like new armor panels

:shock: That too would be amazing :o

I agree with those who say the vehicles are supposed to be 'indestructible supersonic beasts'; that's kind of the point of the RC series.

While I'm here though I'd like to support all forms of damage depending on mode and perhaps user preference. The Combat modes would definitely get a bit more interesting if the cars blew up after hitting zero. This could give wake to an Elimination mode; last guy alive wins. Throw in this 'regen' idea and you can still have the classic Combat modes where whoever doles out the most damage wins, but it might encourage sandbagging in some situations... but depending on the mode, and maybe definable in multiplayer races, regen could easily be disabled on an event-by-event basis. Races would definitely be good with cosmetic damage, maybe flecks of metal or paint coming off, but like someone said before, nothing serious during races, unless the User decided to allow it. Perhaps the faster the vehicle was travelling the better the regen? Maybe the material needs to absorb something from the air to make the repairs. More airflow, more of this material absorbed at once, quicker repairs. Might I recommend Carbon for the 'repair' material, and make the material itself be based on Carbon Nano Tubes, Bucky Paper, Graphene, something like that?

One last thing I'll mention though is an interesting and rather odd mechanic in a PS2 game known as "Destruction Derby: Arenas". In that game there was an interesting 'sector based damage system'. The front center of your car gets enough damage, the car blows up. The whole car sustains damage above a threshold, boom. If a corner of the car sustained enough damage, the corresponding wheel fell off and stayed off unless you found a repair pickup. If two wheels fell off, the car instantly exploded since you can't drive the car with two wheels, IN MOST CASES. If wheels from OPPOSING CORNERS of the car remained on, say front left and rear right, you could actually continue like that until you found a repair pickup. Sure it was awkward trying to keep balanced, but I guess air got under the cars and kinda helped those corners 'float' or something.

Apologies for the novel; damage systems have always been something I've wanted to suggest for games like Grip, and I've seen MANY damage systems throughout my years as a racing game fanatic. :ugeek: This game being set in the future where planet racing in machines weighing perhaps ten [metric?] tons at over [500 MPH/800 KPH] gives rise to so many possibilities, it becomes rather insane very quickly. Just be glad I didn't type more. :D
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

DNS

Postby DNS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Only visuals for sure. Would be nice to see top3 vehicles on podium after finish with marks left after tough combat race

cryptogamer

Postby cryptogamer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:21 pm

i like alot of spolsions and damage :twisted:
my crypto game blog - http://cryptogamesnow.com

Return to “Vehicles”