Poll: Damage or no damage?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts

What kind of damage would you like to see with Grip's cars?

None, I like my whip as clean as a whistle
5%
Scratches and burn marks, but nothing crazy
24%
Big dents and busted parts, but everything stays on the car.
41%
I want to see tires and pieces blown off those suckers
19%
Blow the whole car up! I'm crazy!
11%

Total votes: 326

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Poll: Damage or no damage?

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm

A few scuffs of the paint and chips of edges would be cool. Im not sure about the whole dent thing, i'd like the idea; Going overkill with dents could ruin the feel. As Broscar said re-spawning would be lame.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Yeah I think respawning is out, but I do like some physical damage. We'll have to tinker with it to get it looking and feeling right, while keeping the sense that the cars are still indestructible and able to take a massive beating
Game Director
GRIP

Azurex
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Azurex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 am

As long as the damage doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle, I'm fine.

I feel that damage affecting performance would really hinder the experience quite a lot. It's a dynamic more suited for simcade / simulation games in my opinion, and doesn't have much place in a game such as this.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:05 am

Azurex wrote:As long as the damage doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle, I'm fine.

I feel that damage affecting performance would really hinder the experience quite a lot. It's a dynamic more suited for simcade / simulation games in my opinion, and doesn't have much place in a game such as this.

+1
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Nah, don't worry. We've already established that it's only visual damage and there will be no effect on performance
Game Director
GRIP

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I would love to see some strong damage on a car like disposed inner parts with sparks and flame, or maybe parts of a car breaking off during your ride, but I understand it’s rather hard to do and implement. Again things like that emphasize the overall combat experience.

tobias

Postby tobias » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:35 am

The answer is probably 'all of the above', because you'll include gameplay modes wherein cars are destroyed and 'pure' racing tracks/modes.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:20 am

tobias wrote:The answer is probably 'all of the above', because you'll include gameplay modes wherein cars are destroyed and 'pure' racing tracks/modes.

Sure, with unlimited time and money that would be awesome. But we need to be realistic here, this is a tiny team working on Grip. They need to sleep you know.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:03 pm

We'd love to implement everything and have switches for turning things on and off, but yeah, we've got to choose something and I think we've got our answer.

If arena mode makes it in though? I'd like to see tires and parts flying all over the place.
Game Director
GRIP

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:00 am

Yeah, perhaps instead of just a points system, Arena mode may actually have the cars lose parts and become hard to steer, and then eventually become destroyed, and then that's what declares you the winner against the other person.

It seems very fitting for Arena mode. Just not the standard race modes.

Arena mode better make it in! Some of the funnest times i have had has been on such a mode!

Scrap less important implementations to make time for Arena mode plz! :lol:

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Or we can just have 3 balloons overtop of the cars and you loose them if you get hit HEH HEH HEH HEH. Seriously though if you do implement full damage on arena mode people are bound to be like "How come the damage is more REALISTIC (lol) in arena mode" That will be a thing and a half to explain

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Maybe... but then don't you think people will be thankful that is the case and will understand? it seems by poll, a vast majority of people here do not want damage to impact on the vehicles during racing. I would hope that extends to the overall target audience too.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:39 am

What would be the reasoning for weapons in arena mode doing more damage though? If it's the same weapons some people will be pissed that their driller has been 'nerfed'. Especially if some people are exposed to or play arena mode first, which isn't impossible.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:30 am

The weapons wouldn't be "nerfed" per say, as the Driller rocket as an example would still have the same impact in terms of how far you are blown back. It would just slowly make the car wear down and lose parts too.

I understand your criticism though. I personally find the difference in damage impacting the cars ability in Arena, but not in track mode, just ideal for each mode. I would hope other people would agree when playing, why that was done. But maybe you're right, perhaps some people would be annoyed or confused.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:34 am

Broscar wrote:I'd be annoyed.

What is your issue with the idea that vehicles could be destroyed in arena mode, knowing that the weapons are technically no stronger?

I'm against car damage in track modes, because it detracts from the gameplay of racing, but it seems the whole purpose of Arena mode is destruction.

That said, i personally don't mind. If Arena mode works by a point based system instead, like it did in Rollcage, that's also cool. I'm just pleading for this mode to exist! :P

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 am

I also agree with broscar. As i posted previously, if you make cars damaged, this would prevent you from reaching the powerups you need to fight as effectively as the other. This means that the first guy who looses a wheel looses the game aswell because he no longer can drive to get powerups. I've seen many arena fights where at the last moment you can flip the situation and become the winner, but with a damaged car it's pretty hard to do so, and it becomes like robotwars or battlebots.
I also would have preferred a system where, no matter what, the cars are invincible and the only points are being given out according to hits you received, but i understand this is a different game from rollcage and it must and should not be a carbon copy.

Still, i can see the appeal that arena mode carries if the destruction is really visible (broken parts lying around, bruns and scratches on the track permanent, etc). So why not finding a middle-way solution?
We plate the cars with destructible elements like shields and parts and bits and so on, and the more you are hit, the more of those parts fall off, but they will not influence the car handling. Perhaps the boosters can get busted and smoke can come up, and wheels can start making sparkles while spinning and the car will change aspect while loosing parts of the hull, but it's only going to be cosmetic. The score will still relay on the point system from hits and there will be car parts lying around, but everyone will have the exact same ability to fight from the beginning to the end of the match.

TL;DR: yes to higher damage level in arena mode, but only cosmetic and winning still boils down to points rather than getting other cars unable to move.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 am

Tazeram wrote:What is your issue with the idea that vehicles could be destroyed in arena mode, knowing that the weapons are technically no stronger?

Inconsistent behaviour for the weapons, that's all. Wouldn't bother me to the point of actually complaining about it, but since we're sharing feedback and opinions anyway, I figured I'd reply with my own as well ;p

Row

Postby Row » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 am

I prefer (only) cosmetic damage (burns, scratches, dents, ripped off minor parts of car body etc.) which stays to the end... it should be rough racing game... let us see the damage details after you reach the finish line :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:38 pm

For Arena mode it will really come down to testing. I think there should be some kind of effect on performance if you've gotten blasted by a missile 3 times...
That doesn't mean it needs to be drastic, but it should be apparent.

It would work something like this (just an example):

-100 hit points per car
-1 shot of the machine gun takes away 3 HP
-1 direct missile hit is 25 HP
-things like radial damage from missiles nearby will affect HP, too, but not a lot
-when a car has 25% HP or lower, it is susceptible to losing tires, and getting blown up with on direct missile hit
-also, ramming other cars depletes their HP (and yours - but much less if you're T-boning them or have the speed advantage)

Again, that is just an example
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”