Poll: Damage or no damage?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts

What kind of damage would you like to see with Grip's cars?

None, I like my whip as clean as a whistle
5%
Scratches and burn marks, but nothing crazy
24%
Big dents and busted parts, but everything stays on the car.
41%
I want to see tires and pieces blown off those suckers
18%
Blow the whole car up! I'm crazy!
11%

Total votes: 325

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: Damage or no damage?

Postby Mik1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:06 am

I always prefer gameplay over realism and thats one of the reasons i love rollcage so much.

Back to this topic, id prefer the 2nd option of small visual changes like scratches and burnmarks applied to the car skin from bumps and weapons for normal racing. Seeing someone getting blasted into the sky and driving under them is satisfying enough effect.

For the arena mode, id propably prefer if your car performs the same unrelated to your damage, but the more your car is damaged the more it looks beat up visually and eventually the finishing blow will cause an explosion that breaks the car into pieces.

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:12 am

Focus on the core driving mechanics first. Visual damage I'm down with but adding vehicle (structural) damage will definitely change up the game. I say experiment with it! (if there is time in the development schedule)

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:00 pm

For visual damage I always think it's awesome when stuff isn't just being blown off and dented, but stuff is hanging off the car and dragging on the ground, like the bumper.

Lewis

Postby Lewis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Damage effects etc. are cool, but if you are constantly dying and getting blown up it doesn't leave much room for racing.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:08 pm

I think the overall consensus is leave the actual damage to an Arena mode, and have racing with indestructible cars.

But if it's implemented for Arena, we could always have it as a toggled option for other game modes.

We want to have visual indicators regardless, as you may have seen in some of the footage (cars on fire from missile and mine hits)
Game Director
GRIP

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am

No measurable impact on performance or resets please. Not having to worry about this in RC really set it appart from other racers!

Everett Spair

Postby Everett Spair » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:05 am

I'd like to see damage on the cars. They can get really busted. However, it shouldn't affect the performance of the cars. A totally busted car should drive exactly the same as a pristine car.
I don't want destructible cars.

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:52 am

I like the indestructible thing as well,

But some upgrades could get permanently destroyed, giving racers with those upgrades a bigger incentive not to take hits.

I however also like the idea of taking damage, get performance reductions because of that, maybe combine this with either repair pickups and/or a pitstop/pitlane where you can repair. This would also make defensive pickups more important.

maybe you can have both, just separate them in different game modes?

Ei8htBall

Postby Ei8htBall » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Paint scratches but nothing more. Also perhaps instead of weapons dealing damage maybe they could just slow you down or stall your car. Not too sure how to handle it to make the vehicles feel indestructible, which is amazing, and make weapons practical

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:07 am

mrjimp wrote:I however also like the idea of taking damage, get performance reductions because of that, maybe combine this with either repair pickups and/or a pitstop/pitlane where you can repair. This would also make defensive pickups more important.

maybe you can have both, just separate them in different game modes?

Entirely possible. We just don't want to frustrate people by slowing down their vehicle. I think pit lanes in a game like this would really break the flow, though.

Like agcue said:

agcue wrote:No measurable impact on performance please. Not having to worry about this in RC really set it appart from other racers!

We want pure, speedy fun :D
Game Director
GRIP

fitrox

Postby fitrox » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 am

I'm against physical damage, the cars should be indestructible in normal races, although visual damage seems a cool idea.

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:54 am

I think the basic core of the cars should be invincible, but that's not to say that flare items like bumpers and other cosmetic items can't be thrown off - especially if these items can smash in to other players/AI cars for real collision.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:19 am

Roq wrote:I think the basic core of the cars should be invincible, but that's not to say that flare items like bumpers and other cosmetic items can't be thrown off - especially if these items can smash in to other players/AI cars for real collision.

Having small scraps and parts fly off of opponents cars and whacking your car a bit would be a neat visual effect. I also have an idea of battle scarred paint jobs for cars. Like scuffs and scratches on the paint as well as some chips in the armor.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:14 am

I am all for visual damage and flying parts. Maybe a damage meter, but not really cramping the driving experience, just a little. When the meter depletes, boom, off goes the car.
This would be interesting in combination with lives system, like for multiplayer races, everyone gets just one life, so much more pressure.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

AuguryOne
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby AuguryOne » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:34 pm

I love a type of damage meter or declining performance per increased damage, but I do agree with some, having it as an option is probably the better bet if you can implement it as all (an unlocked option available when a track has already been completed, or even better, a kind of HARDCORE racing/career mode requiring maintenance or regular repair to be able to continue).

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 am

i think that cars should be destructible but only from visual part. Bumpers flying off and this kind of stuff. And paint should definetely be destructible. For example after a race every scratch mark should stay on the car. And after more races paint could be nearly invisible and you could repair it in some sort of garage for money or points or whatever currency will be available if it will be there at all.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

codemonkey
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby codemonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:22 am

There are clearly conflicting components to this particular aspect of the game. On the one hand, we have a solid back-story that positively encourages violence, and that violence has substantial consequences to the players. On the other hand, we have to make a game, that doesn't end up being frustrating to play when you end-up being smashed, or even killed, while driving. Part of me wants to see cars getting blown apart in a shower of metal shards that let you know in no uncertain terms that your missile just hit home. Another part of me doesn't want to be the guy that got nailed, because what then? Do we want to be aping Doom where we just reload our last save-game whenever we get killed?

Much as I would love to see these kinds of serious consequences to damage in the game, I'm pretty sure it would end-up frustrating more than enhancing the experience. I think damage ought have some consequences however. Losing upgrades might be one way of portraying that - being damaged means you have to spend money on acquiring them again. Or maybe just a temporary performance degradation as your engine coughs and splutters as it tries to get the juice flowing again?

I think mostly, it's the satisfaction of causing significant visual damage to your opponent, making them look like they've taken a real beating, that is where the sweet spot is. It doesn't necessarily matter too much whether real performance is handicapped as a result, just so long as they look like they got whacked, and that they who it was that whacked them. So personally, I'd love to see these steel hulks in battle-worn state.
Rob
Technical Honcho
Caged Element

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:07 am

codemonkey wrote:There are clearly conflicting components to this particular aspect of the game. On the one hand, we have a solid back-story that positively encourages violence, and that violence has substantial consequences to the players. On the other hand, we have to make a game, that doesn't end up being frustrating to play when you end-up being smashed, or even killed, while driving. Part of me wants to see cars getting blown apart in a shower of metal shards that let you know in no uncertain terms that your missile just hit home. Another part of me doesn't want to be the guy that got nailed, because what then? Do we want to be aping Doom where we just reload our last save-game whenever we get killed?

In game modes like Arena, there would be no problem to see your vehicle exploding though.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 am

Also, maybe this is lame, but for the sake of the metal sharpnel flying all over the place, maybe the exterior components of the car might respawn after some time, so you can still get them to explode again later on. Maybe the external armour can grow over time thanks to nanobots. This is for racing mode.

In arena: If you get too many beatings one after the other without leaving time for the armor to grow back, your car gets more easily destroyed because the second hit lands on a partially un-armoured car. This might also tie in with the desire to not show an health bar on the UI: visual inspection of the car's appearance can tell you how bad you're damaged.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also, maybe this is lame, but for the sake of the metal sharpnel flying all over the place, maybe the exterior components of the car might respawn after some time, so you can still get them to explode again later on. Maybe the external armour can grow over time thanks to nanobots. This is for racing mode.

i really like the idea!
make the car have an undestructible chassis and have exterior parts like exhaust, spoilers, armor plates and so on destructible, maybe have color strip of or burnmarks etc.
this gives the visual impression of a brutal race and keeps the flow of the game steady and fast.

Return to “Vehicles”