Poll: Damage or no damage?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts

What kind of damage would you like to see with Grip's cars?

None, I like my whip as clean as a whistle
5%
Scratches and burn marks, but nothing crazy
24%
Big dents and busted parts, but everything stays on the car.
41%
I want to see tires and pieces blown off those suckers
19%
Blow the whole car up! I'm crazy!
11%

Total votes: 326

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Poll: Damage or no damage?

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 pm

The way I ideally picture this is that in races, cars can be visibly damaged and lose metal panels and other pieces during a race, but the main body always stays in tact. That would give a really brutal feel to the combat without affecting performance.

In arena mode the damaged cars will go from smoking to flaming to exploding. Rob and I were just talking the other day about how cool that's going to be to see in action. Also, there could be the game option in race mode that allows car damage to the same extent, leading to elimination, rather than being indestructible. This would make the racing pretty hard core.
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 am

Chris_CE wrote:The way I ideally picture this is that in races, cars can be visibly damaged and lose metal panels and other pieces during a race, but the main body always stays in tact. That would give a really brutal feel to the combat without affecting performance.

In arena mode the damaged cars will go from smoking to flaming to exploding. Rob and I were just talking the other day about how cool that's going to be to see in action. Also, there could be the game option in race mode that allows car damage to the same extent, leading to elimination, rather than being indestructible. This would make the racing pretty hard core.

An elimination event, huh?

Reminds me of some ideas I had for a Rollcage fangame for the career mode; events where the player's car is compromised in some way. A race event where the car's thrusters randomly cut out for a few seconds; an event where the weapons all fire backwards; how about the idea of someone tampering with the protective systems of the player's car so they can be wrecked but the opponents can't? Haha.

It would be really unfair. Plus you would maybe want to consider adding pickups or places on the track where you can repair some of the damage (similar to Blur in that regard). But elimination in that way sounds fun; cars can get taken out either from being last on the lap or by being trashed? Heh. Chaos. :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Chaos indeed. Last man (car) standing would be more like elimination, with cars in last place each lap exploding. But I think having an option in the menu for car's exploding or not in normal races would be fun as well.

Those various compromised car game tweaks would be funny in multiplayer, that's for sure
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:56 am

I would like to split career modes, where first 50% is about underground racing (or 25%), before-tv show, Second chapter, more dramatic, post-tv show with destructible cars, with intense cinematic camera slow-mo when Your car is down to 0%, destroyed, with car parts brutally detaching (like in Burnout Paradise)

About multiplayer though, only visuals, with separate gamemode for destructive racing or just arena mode.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:21 pm

0Blueaura wrote:I would like to split career modes, where first 50% is about underground racing (or 25%), before-tv show, Second chapter, more dramatic, post-tv show with destructible cars, with intense cinematic camera slow-mo when Your car is down to 0%, destroyed, with car parts brutally detaching (like in Burnout Paradise)

TBH that would be amaaaaziiiing. But i would looove to see how everything happened before going underground, maybe some races with police or something, SOME DRAMA! Police killing racers etc. Just to get some more plot into it.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Blufanta

Postby Blufanta » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:24 am

ORRRR We could have the option? some people love seeing the guts get blown out of a car but some (ME) find it a little disorientating, I think the option would be a nice touch! :D

Clone303

Postby Clone303 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:44 am

i dont want that then please in setting so we can take it off
Long life Rollcage again!

Nebuchaddy

Postby Nebuchaddy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:12 am

Well, in my opinion, if we're going to have "Full destructive blowing cars" in Arena, and "Reduced tochasis-only but no effect on handling" in races, whay not just make toggleable in the pre-race options. Or maybe lock it to the difficulty settings. "Very Hard" couldimplement it right away. And maybe have events in the Career mode that have active damage.

Regarding the handling and so, I think the best idea is to have the same handling at all times, even when you ar at 1HP.

And yes please, I'd love to see hanging pieces making sparks in the tracks, plates of the front car flying over my head and sparks and flames popping out of my exhausts or wheels.
I'm Spanish god dammit sorry for my effing grammar jeez.

bockadilla

Postby bockadilla » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Maybe with the compromised cars, you could have different kinds of pickups in Arena mode which could target a specific car or all opponents (possibly can be toggled).
One could give them 'sputtering' boosters (so they don't just completely stop).
Mess with their steering or flip the steering altogether.
Give the car less grip somehow.
Lowered defence
etc.

Then there could maybe be other pickups that do the opposite and help the player.

Just a suggestion :D

Hvolsomt

Postby Hvolsomt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Broscar wrote:I like that the cars are basically supersonic, indestructable tanks.
Fits the whole "bringing down buildings by driving straight through their supporting pillars" thing ;)

The respawning thing I am not a fan of.

So +1 indestructable, -1 destruction to the level that requires respawning.

Yes, this is the perfect way of explaining it.
I like to focus on the racing part as well - Of course i love the big bad guns, but the destroying-the-car part, please don't :roll:

Regarding the current votation on the poll; won't it be weird having the car misshaped by dents and bruises but with no performance loss?
I'm a little sceptic about driving a car that looks like it's been through a grinder (which it practically has) but handles and purrs like a cute kitten... or something like that. Which is why I voted for number 2 ;)

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:35 am

Hvolsomt wrote:Regarding the current votation on the poll; won't it be weird having the car misshaped by dents and bruises but with no performance loss?
I'm a little sceptic about driving a car that looks like it's been through a grinder (which it practically has) but handles and purrs like a cute kitten... or something like that. Which is why I voted for number 2 ;)

Not stranger than indestructable cars. I like them to be indestructible as well but i am also very fond of having as much visual reaction to actions as possible.

It would be pretty cool to see on a car how much rockets it had to eat.

Hvolsomt

Postby Hvolsomt » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, I think I will put my trust in the creative minds of the devs - It will be interesting to see what they'll come up with ;)

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:45 am

I can't seem to fill in the poll anymore, but I still want to add my opinion.

I don't want this game to feature complete and permanent destruction. Destruction after which you respawn might be good for the game, this gives a good incentive to avoid damage. Although I would prefer the spiritual predecessor's "get hit, continue when you regain control" feature.

As for simply cosmetic damage, you shouldn't have every single racer receive 100% cosmetic damage every race. Having 100% damage should be a rare thing, something to marvel at and point out to your friends about how much damage you received that match. So maybe get some numbers on average damage per match over various tracks, then hang a cosmetic damage tag to certain stages of damage.

Spisepinden

Postby Spisepinden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:13 am

In my honest opinion, I'd much prefer the cars to be largely indestructible. Scratches and burn marks would be cool, but if te cars get dented and such, it doesn't make sense that driving into supporting pillars of buildings doesn't completely wreck the machines. But if you *do* choose to make the cars destructible, at least include an option to turn off the feature so everyone can be happy? :D

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Spisepinden wrote:... but if te cars get dented and such, it doesn't make sense that driving into supporting pillars of buildings doesn't completely wreck the machines.

I dissagree. They are fast tanks. What happens if you drive with todays tanks against walls and supporting pillars? Correct dents not much more aslong as you dont bury them under a building.

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 am

I think that :

>Damage should affect speed/agility slightly (frontal /side damage - agility, thruster damage - speed). Would love to see cars losing one of their tires or thruster (at max damage).
>Cars should regenerate to previous "clean" state few seconds after taking damage. With some sparcles and mechanic noises. Self repair system that is. Futuristic stuff.

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:50 am

In the full destruction mode i opt for keeping the destroyed cars in the game. Not sure what that does to the performance of potato computers. But then again i have all graphic options on "best possible" and my machine is more below average.

Skid

Postby Skid » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Asides from your car being destroyed everything should stay on and they should keep performing the same, the cars are built like tanks anyway but penalising people because they happened to take all the weapons fire is unfair and unfun for them. But making it across the line with a car that looks like it's been shot to all hell will be cool.
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/skid_inc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Zat0ichi

Postby Zat0ichi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Adding damage is tricky.

Looks cool a frig.

But then if you're on 3 wheels belching smoke and on fire dragging half your chassis behind by its fuel lines whilst doing 500mph and handling like an f1 car it wouldn't feel right.

conversley

If I have 100cal machine guns hammering the back of an opponent and its just going pew pew and tickling them a bit it feels a bit light.

SO

I think that there could be an armour value of 3.
Three missiles hits
3 seconds of machine gun fire
9 clean ramming impacts (if your car weight is enough)
9 wall impacts
etc
etc

Each level is represented by 3 damage models to 4 quadrants plus tires. The bit that looks cool and semi 'believable'

when you lose all three armour points you get a top speed penalty of 10% or acceleration or something for 5 seconds and then super nano quantum plasma fixes car. (but intermediate damage is maintained until repair or complete loss)

Using that sort of process could allow Grip to have visceral car carnage but still keep to the soul of the original.

Is what I think i'd like to see.

If this turned into a car war game then I have a WHOLE world of other ideas but I'm here because rollcage has a special place in my memory,

Potty edit: merged the two posts. Please use the Edit function (top right of your post, pencil icon) next time :-)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:55 am

Well it kind of is a car war game with Arena mode.

As for damage, I think giving cars a penalty due to being damaged will just split up the race pack even more, which isn't great. I do like the idea of small armour pieces flying off the car though. That could create more immersion and add to the feeling of power behind the weapons and car crashes.

I'd also like to see the cars blow up into pieces and have their tires fly off as they explode, but those are things to think about later during the polishing phase
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”