May sounds strange but......what if...."backwards mode"?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Costa

May sounds strange but......what if...."backwards mode"?

Postby Costa » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm

All vehicles are capable to use the "backwards mode"? Basically by pressing a button, your front wheels become rear wheels and vice-versa.....? It may sounds interesting, in order to avoid making a "U-turn".... if for some random reason, your car is suddenly in the opposite direction, if you press that button, the camera change and you just continue racing.....maintaining the speed....then until next time you backflip again and press that button again to restore your view in straight mode... what do you think? It could be very helpful on tight segments of roads that there's not enough space to make a U-turn......let me know.....

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: May sounds strange but......what if...."backwards mode"?

Postby WROB3L » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 am

it wouldnt make sense really, those cars have jets on the back soooooooooooo, yeah it wouldn`t work. They would have to redesign eveeeerything.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 am

the car could toss the front wheels around to flip its direction but i dont think that kind of mechanism would work in grip, maybe in deathmatch mode where you dont drive laps

EDIT: i didnt notice the "while maintaining speed" part. Not sure how that would physically be possible

Costa

Postby Costa » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Mik1 wrote:the car could toss the front wheels around to flip its direction but i dont think that kind of mechanism would work in grip, maybe in deathmatch mode where you dont drive laps

EDIT: i didnt notice the "while maintaining speed" part. Not sure how that would physically be possible

Its hard to explain.....take this example:

Youre running at 400 - 450km/h, suddently someone behind you is ramming you, you lost your vehicle control, but your vehicle ends up in the opposing direction, doesnt' bounce away or nothing crazy....... going at 300 - 350km/h (during on a very few seconds) in backwards. In order to return in track correctly, you have to make an U-Turn, or, if you press one button your rear wheels become front wheel and your front wheels become rear wheels. your camera switch in the opposite direction and you continue running from 350km/h to 450 km/again without losing time for U-turn, and no losing speed. how it sounds? too complicated?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:57 pm

WROB3L wrote:it wouldnt make sense really, those cars have jets on the back soooooooooooo, yeah it wouldn`t work. They would have to redesign eveeeerything.

Same remark. Though this also means cars in the current build "shouldn't" be able to drive backwards !! **mindblown**
Perhaps a button to put the camera in normal position, but I'm not so sure about such a feature

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:45 am

Costa wrote:
Mik1 wrote:the car could toss the front wheels around to flip its direction but i dont think that kind of mechanism would work in grip, maybe in deathmatch mode where you dont drive laps

Its hard to explain.....take this example:

Youre running at 400 - 450km/h, suddently someone behind you is ramming you, you lost your vehicle control, but your vehicle ends up in the opposing direction, doesnt' bounce away or nothing crazy....... going at 300 - 350km/h (during on a very few seconds) in backwards. In order to return in track correctly, you have to make an U-Turn, or, if you press one button your rear wheels become front wheel and your front wheels become rear wheels. your camera switch in the opposite direction and you continue running from 350km/h to 450 km/again without losing time for U-turn, and no losing speed. how it sounds? too complicated?

Ok i gotta say, it would look sick, but still, exhausts of the jet engines would be in front, without redesigning of the cars it wouldn`t make sense.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

DrDangerZone

Postby DrDangerZone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm

While I'm not a proponent of a mechanism like this, I would like to point out to everyone that your maximum speed in reverse is comparable to (if not the same) as your forward drive speed, so currently the orientation of the car relative to the forward thrusters has little to no effect on your drive speed; it just looks right.

Source: I've driven the entire length of every tunnel on Yuri Industrial in reverse while maintaining 1st place at least once, and have even overtaken 1st a few times as well.
give me fuel, give me fire,
'tis all I truly desire

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:27 pm

You just do 180 J turn (police turn). Its faster than U turn and works great in Grip.

Or we can have special ability called "flipper" that will detonate explosive charges under your front wheels, flipping your car vertically.

No need for unnecessary, weird a$$ tech here.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:24 pm

DrDangerZone wrote:While I'm not a proponent of a mechanism like this, I would like to point out to everyone that your maximum speed in reverse is comparable to (if not the same) as your forward drive speed, so currently the orientation of the car relative to the forward thrusters has little to no effect on your drive speed; it just looks right.

Source: I've driven the entire length of every tunnel on Yuri Industrial in reverse while maintaining 1st place at least once, and have even overtaken 1st a few times as well.

Yes, it's just a matter of acceleration. In reverse you won't be able to accelerate much - but if you already got the inertia going, you can just continue in reverse for a while.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Sun May 08, 2016 3:25 pm

You could have one particular vehicle that can do this as it's main strength, that way you would only have to design one vehicle that could feasibly do it, and not redesign the others.

I guess the cockpit would need to be gyroscopic, so it would face whichever end of the car was facing forwards? Still sounds tricky to implement though.

md2501

Postby md2501 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:17 am

I thought I came up with a pretty cool idea and here I see people already talking about it. I thought about creating a new topic but since this one is pretty similar to what I have in mind I'll just post here.

First of all, devs, thank you for creating a spiritual successor to one of my favourite games. I've been dreaming about a game like GRIP for too long.

Now onto the suggestions. I'll start with a very simple and straightforward suggestion for the Transport track.

Do you think it would be a good idea to remove the sideramps (not the entire things, just the part keeping you from falling off) from the part of the track showed in the spolered screencap? I feel like that would make this part especially exciting allowing players to try and bounce each other off track, adding to the competitive vibe.

Spoiler: show

My final suggestion is more complex and something that comes from letting my mind loose from having too much fun. I understand this can be a pain to implement into the actual game so it's fair to say that this is more akin to wishful thinking than a reasonable request. I think the game would benefit a lot from a very tight, easy to control drift system. The control part is important since in a racing game with weapons and lots of obstacles making driving too hard can be counter-productive. So, consider the following. Usually arcade racing games have a handbrake option which feels and works very differently compared to regular brakes. What if we could hold a button to enter a drifting mode allowing greater control of the car. For instance holding the button a player can trade some of their speed for an opportunity to turn around switching into reverse and unloading their machine guns into an opponent then turn around again and race on. This is kiiinda already possible when flying onto the track sideways, releasing gas to make the turn easier, making a 270 and moving on. This would make the firing backward feel and look natural and introduce more maneuverability into the game. I also don't think the turbines being on the back disallow it since the cars have lots of momentum. What if two players, one in pursuit and the other going backwards could shoot machine guns at each other and the weapons would thus nullify each other with a cool bullet bouncing visual effect? How cool would that be?

I'm sorry, pretty sure the last part was going too far. I do agree that this sounds too complex.

So this is it from me.

Looking forward to whatever comes next for this title!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 am

md2501 wrote:Usually arcade racing games have a handbrake option which feels and works very differently compared to regular brakes. What if we could hold a button to enter a drifting mode allowing greater control of the car. For instance holding the button a player can trade some of their speed for an opportunity to turn around switching into reverse and unloading their machine guns into an opponent then turn around again and race on.

Drifting is already there bro, and the devs nailed it :) Have you tried holding your "spacebar" key in a turn ? I tried your manoeuvre to shoot backwards in a 180 too, I think it might be manageable already (albeit with some precise driving and skills)

Return to “Vehicles”