Cockpit view

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Cockpit view

Postby StickyBassline » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:20 am

One of my favorite racing games, Distance recently added a cockpit view for your car, and that really opened up a new dimension for the game, it feels so much more immersive than seeing it from a third person.

So my question is: Have you ever thought about adding a cockpit view to Grip in the future? It could look different depending on the alien faction :D

Here's some screenshots of the added cockpit view for anyone interested > http://imgur.com/a/4CJup
They even added VR support for maximum immersion https://youtu.be/feGt4AEM9z4?t=21
You're just a voice pal.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Cockpit view

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Actually, having different huds for each manufacture sounds interesting. We could have an old speedometer for less futuristic cars and full on digital holo nonsense for advanced manufactures.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:29 am

Different engine sounds, handling and model is already planned, but a different hud and different view inside the cockpit like a different window, instruments etc would be cool indeed :D
You're just a voice pal.

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 am

Different HUDs for different manufacturers would be cool. But then there might be a situation where one likes a certain manufacturer but prefers another manufacturer's HUD. Maybe have HUDs a customisable option down the line? Like NFS Underground 2.
"Hollow the leader"

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:13 am

Sure that works too, but the cars interior should be locked to the alien faction of the car.
You're just a voice pal.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, it would be awesome. Can I say if they'll be implemented? Nope.

This is something we probably wouldn't talk about internally, until at least 6 months from now. But don't let that stop the discussion!
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Yes, it would be awesome. Can I say if they'll be implemented? Nope.

This is something we probably wouldn't talk about internally, until at least 6 months from now. But don't let that stop the discussion!

I know that would be really complicated and would take a lot of work, but it could be a potential big update for grip in a far future, glad to see your interest :)
You're just a voice pal.

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm

I also prefer a cockpit view rather than a front camera, maybe a way to implement a cockpit would have a gyroscopic one, so as your vehicle rotates the cockpit will align itself to what ever surface you are currently on.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:48 am

I'm pretty clueless on how to actually make a cockpit view ^^'' But I assume that you just switch models, hud and camera when you switch to cockpit view.
You're just a voice pal.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:41 am

Personally i don't really think i would use a cockpit view in a game like Grip, but it sure is far more immersive than just a "simple" front camera. And i bet it's awesome if you can use a VR device!
About the cockpit view in Grip, since the cars can flip sides, maybe the solution could be some kind of rotating driver compartment, which would turn with downforce or something like that. But that would probably imply a spheric cockpit somehow, which in my opinion wouldn't look too good. :P

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 am

Yeah the fact that Grip cars can run on both sides comes with some problems for cockpit view as you mentioned. In Distance it works because cars can only drive on one side and can drive on walls and ceilings as well.
You're just a voice pal.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:08 am

StickyBassline wrote:Yeah the fact that Grip cars can run on both sides comes with some problems for cockpit view as you mentioned. In Distance it works because cars can only drive on one side and can drive on walls and ceilings as well.

I always race in bump cam in both Rollcage games, i did not experience any problem with it so far.

A cockpit view would be no different to me than a bump cam - except some nice decorations here and there
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:55 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:I always race in bump cam in both Rollcage games, i did not experience any problem with it so far.

A cockpit view would be no different to me than a bump cam - except some nice decorations here and there

Can you describe this "bump cam"?
You're just a voice pal.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 pm

StickyBassline wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:I always race in bump cam in both Rollcage games, i did not experience any problem with it so far.

Can you describe this "bump cam"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2zfP6 ... u6BWLcdWUQ
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Jesus that is fast, I see what you mean. Although I don't know how we'd make the cockpit flip logically.
You're just a voice pal.

FU3L

Postby FU3L » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

First off, game is sick! I loved the original and couldn't wait for a reboot. Great job so far! Back on topic... Cockpit view would be awesome. I know personally me and my buddy Always play on the "inside view" just because we feel we have a better sense of how little adjustments on the thumb stick make the car react. It would be even cooler if we could see the front of the car or and or steering wheel and surrounding. Lots of good ideas on here too to add to the realism of the cockpit.

Spisepinden

Postby Spisepinden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:38 am

I always imagined the pilot sitting in a seat that's on an gyroscope axis of some sort, rather than the seat being fixed to the car. As the car flips, the seat keeps itself horizontally leveled by flipping in the opposite direction, so the car basically flips "around" the pilot. If you want to do a cockpit view, you could just have a fixed camera that can't flip, and have the cockpit flip as the car does. That's how I'd do it anyway :)

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 am

First person view - must have.

But cockpit... With all that damage and collisions at high speed....Pilot should be fixed in a tube like cockpit surrounded by shock absorbers... and with no windshield (Camera + monitor instead).

Sure its possible to create awesome cockpit with flipping background... So its a big screen in the middle, pilot hands and some controls on its sides and behind all that is background (cockpit-to-car connections and gyro)
During action only background shakes and bumps while cockpit and pilot stay relatively still....Would be awesome.

And im not sure that steering wheel will work with these cars....Must be something different.

zephiris

Postby zephiris » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Instead of an actual cockpit view with a detailled cockpit model (see how mechwarrior online solved it with the drone/3rd person view, but that would still require additional model data rendering, and the rotation issue would still be there i guess), just add a camera position very close to the car, where the cockpit window is, on either side (i think i see a sort-of-cockpit-window on both cars?).

On flip, the camera just turns to the window view of the other side of the car; problem solved? ;)
Oh, yeah... Back in the Cage...

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm

My thoughts on this topic:
Grip's (RollCage's) cars don't have cockpits, so cockpit view has no sense. In sense of Grip, bump cam is actually what the real perspective of a driver is. He's having high resolution VR devise on his head and the outside world is transfered to his eyes digitally. Having that in mind, cockpit view wouldn't increase immersion - it would just kill it. :p

Return to “Vehicles”