Whole New Upgrading System for the Future of GRIP!

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Whole New Upgrading System for the Future of GRIP!

Postby SuperLucas335 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 am

[The following ideas are only intended to be implemented for when GRIP goes into it's pre-alpha stages]

So, I've been thinking a lot lately of what a game of GRIP would be like when it comes out of early access. I've gone through several ideas of upgrading systems and customisations including:
    No upgrades - you get the cars as-is
    Stat upgrades - Buy a new car and upgrade the stats (handling, engine power ect.)
    Part upgrades - Buy a car and change the engine, tyres, weapons, ect.
    Module system - Add certain modules and devices to your car to improve features or get new features
    Mix and match - Swap certain parts of cars for other parts; the more cars you own the bigger variety of combinations
    From scratch - Build an entire car from scratch, choosing individual parts. you can scavenge parts from races or buy them in the shop
Most of the ideas are self-explanatory but I think the Module system needs some more information (plus that is my favourite system, coupled with the stat upgrades)

Module System:
I think the best way to explain it is to provide examples, so here are a few modules that I have created:

Better Scorpion AI:
    Spoiler: show
    The Scorpion Missile gets an advanced AI, greatly improving the chance of a hit in a race. How it works: When equipped, the Scorpion missile uses a modified Assassin AI, not targeting first place, instead it targets whoever you lock on to. This means that the missile will still hit even after your target goes around a bend of the race.

Improved Firestorm:
    This mod will improve the strength and duration of the boost power up. That sounds a bit boring so I'm also suggesting the ability to either cancel the boost or equip another item while boosting (currently the boost takes a slot of your inventory so you can't pick up another item while boosting)

Bigger Quakes:
    The Quaker mine's detonation radius is larger, and the blast radius is even larger

Firestorm Fabricator:
    This device occupies the second item slot and slowly generates a firestorm powerup whenever you drift or do a big jump (i.e. works on kinetic energy)

180 Raptor:
    This gives the Raptor MG a 180 degree firing cone

Great Aegis:
    Wraps the aegis around the rear of the car, protecting more of it. Also slightly increases the HP of the shield

Heath Indicator:
    Provides a HP bar and percent for your car during races (with destructible vehicles) and the HP of your shield

Bigger Radar:
    An improved radar that shows more track. Also shows how far away the person in front of you is, and how far away the person in 1st place is. If you are second it will show you how far 3rd place and 1st place is, and if you are first it will show how far away you are from 2nd and 3rd.

Air Boosters:
    These activate when you have been in the air for over 1/2 a second and provide greater acceleration in the air (and some lift - remember cars will be heavier as it is mentioned that cars need to be "less floaty" by CE staff)

Air Flaps:
    Allow greater air control. Press the spacebar and a direction key to turn in the air. Not by rolling, but actual turning. Pressing a or d will turn left or right, and pressing w or s will pull up or down. Can be combined with rolling to have some air control! This accesory will be a must for light cars on a race with lots of jumps, and when combined with Air Boosters - the sky is the limit (literally) I think the game would be better if there was a flying class of cars - some that prefer air as much as ground. I know the game is called GRIP, but still, it would be boring if all cars were grounded. Can't wait. What do you think about this? Do we want air control for cars? (remember it's the future)

(If any of you have a better name idea for any of the modules above feel free to say them below! Also if you have a new module idea say that as well - I will write your forum name after the idea name)
As for how many modules you can carry; that number is decided by your car. Bigger cars (such as the Dreadnought) will hold more. Also more OP modules will cost more slots.

That is all for the Module System. I can imagine that you will also be able to upgrade your car as described in the Stat upgrade system as well, plus the ability to change things such as tyres, armour, thrusters, bullets (I want explosive bullets :D ) and more.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Whole New Upgrading System for the Future of GRIP!

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:18 pm

An interesting idea, but if we do pickup combinations/stacking/upgrades, then this might be too many levels of customization.

Some of the modules sound cool though, and would work well if a player picked up two of the same thing and combined them
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”