How about fatter tires?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Whiplash

How about fatter tires?

Postby Whiplash » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Am I the only one who sees the tires as kinda still too skinny. I feel like even 50% wider tires could make the cars look more mad. ;)
Or, maybe the game could combine not just different tire layout (like in RC), but also a different size. Skinnier could be used on tracks with sand and snow, and fatter on tracks based on tarmac and similar surfaces.

Here is a model that should be looked at:
LINK
Last edited by Whiplash on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tazeram

Re: How about fatter tires?

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:17 pm

I have noticed that the tyres seem skinnier than old models in RC, but it does emphasised their militant-like chunky bodies, which i very much admire the detail of! Bad-Ass!

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Nah, 25% wider rimz would look better on these babies.
sus

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Tazeram wrote:...but it does emphasised their militant-like chunky bodies...

Yeah, but it also makes them more like cars from "this" instead from "another" world. :) Just check the intro video of RollCage: Stage 2 (RollCage Extreme) once again and see what the proportions of the cars there are. That video intro should be the model to follow, I think.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I always loved the intro to Rollcage 1, where you could see the characters like Lenny and Ria next to the tyres... and they were huge, and really put the cars sizes into perspective! :P

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Tazeram wrote:I always loved the intro to Rollcage 1, where you could see the characters like Lenny and Ria next to the tyres... and they were huge, and really put the cars sizes into perspective! :P

I always prefered stage 2 intro
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Hmm I actually prefer the tires now, makes the body of the car stand out a bit more.

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 am

Stinkinmushroom wrote:Hmm I actually prefer the tires now, makes the body of the car stand out a bit more.

Well, having the tires getting to second plan is harming RC style quite a lot. Now when I'm watching them, they could be a bit higher too. So, bigger tires in general would be better.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 am

GRIP doesn't have to be a carbon copy of Rollcage, guys.
Besides, I like it like this. It emphasizes the scale of the main body, reinforcing the believe that you're driving a metal beast of a machine.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:21 am

Also, let's just deal with getting the game done, game mechanics wise. Once that's done, additional modes of importing community made art works, tracks and car models can be dealt with.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:42 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also, let's just deal with getting the game done, game mechanics wise. Once that's done, additional modes of importing community made art works, tracks and car models can be dealt with.

You could say that about everything. And if that's the case, why are we even here.

Also, usually everything is developed alongside each other. Why wait to start a discussion.

Lastly, the way they physics system works, (if it is like old RC) the size of the tires will affect how they handle, so this is part of the 'game mechanics'.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:48 am

You're right, i came across a bit arrogant, i'm sorry. I was just expressing my concern about the many topics about game details: i fear that Chris and Rob might get crazy having to comb through everything as there is not yet a PR person in the team. But perhaps i'm being paranoid :)
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 pm

harrisonosirrah wrote:Lastly, the way they physics system works, (if it is like old RC) the size of the tires will affect how they handle, so this is part of the 'game mechanics'.

Including tire width as a parameter in wheel collider handling is a recent thing because old technology didn't have the computational strength required to deal with that at a reasonable speed. Even so, it's a completely unneccessary feature only used in racing games that have a heavy focus on the simulation aspect of racing.
We have the luxury of treating grip seperately from tire width in the virtual world ;)

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:19 pm

By the way, i suppose that the tire aspect needs to be completely separated from the physics simulation, as you cannot simply turn a rollcage car upside down and not expect it to start going backwards.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Broscar wrote:
harrisonosirrah wrote:Lastly, the way they physics system works, (if it is like old RC) the size of the tires will affect how they handle, so this is part of the 'game mechanics'.

Including tire width as a parameter in wheel collider handling is a recent thing because old technology didn't have the computational strength required to deal with that at a reasonable speed. Even so, it's a completely unneccessary feature only used in racing games that have a heavy focus on the simulation aspect of racing.
We have the luxury of treating grip seperately from tire width in the virtual world ;)

I was taking that from the pre-release video that says how they built it up from the ground to work like a car. The video where they say they drop a car in the same way they drop a ball in.

I'm not claiming to know the technical ins and outs. But in today's age, and using PhysX, that level of simulation doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm

And, here is the image that should be looked at. Look how big those tires are. :twisted:

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I just realised, how did the driver have a good field of vision from the cockpit with those front vents in the way? :P

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Tazeram wrote:I just realised, how did the driver have a good field of vision from the cockpit with those front vents in the way? :P

Futuristic hologrammatic camera-cockpit virtual imaging technology?

aka 'does it matter'? xD.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:02 pm

No... just wondering... ;)

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:18 pm

I also just realized that skinnier tires means less tire clipping. Tires clipping trough the car body was easy to overlook in the PS1 era, now it is a little harder not to notice it.

Return to “Vehicles”