Manufacturer Loyalty

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Icyclez
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Manufacturer Loyalty

Postby Icyclez » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Wild idea but I'm imagining a world where each major manufacturer in the game had their own story about their involvement in the GRIP league and throughout your careers progress depending on which manufacturer you side with/represent in events you gain their respect and unlock manufacturer specific parts, aesthetics, and vehicles. I think it would be a cool way to feel immersed in the Grip universe, to have the support of a Manufacturer such as Vintage throughout the Grip League. In multiplayer you could also show off a bit of personal style and pride for the manufacturer you primarily race for. Obviously a system like this would require a lot of tweaking and balancing to ensure it's a fair and fun system but one thing about Rollcage 2 I was always kind of curious about was what each manufacturer was REALLY about, what drove into the world of interplanetary racing, and why did Unity make all the best damn cars?

One way or another really hoping we get to learn about the different manufacturers in the game :)

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Manufacturer Loyalty

Postby wantfastcars » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Sorta like what they did in WipEout Pulse and HD? I wouldn't mind something like that. Make it purely aesthetic (rim choices or paint patterns/liveries) and you're golden.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:05 am

I'm sure Joe would love to flesh out the backstory for each manufacturer (and liveries) if given the chance. Just a matter of budget and potential scope involved. Would be very cool to expand the lore in general!
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:19 pm

This concept reminds me of what namco did in ridge racer 7. They had manufactures points for car brands and aftermarket parts. Could be a neat way to unlock liveries and other aftermarket parts. Would like to see this done if possible.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:04 pm

+1 for the idea!
One could actually fuse this idea with a perk system:
  • Lore-wise, you're an illegal racer
  • By winning you get free shippings from a manufacturer,
    like huge crates in your garage, next to your car, as a loyalty reward ;)
  • Depending on the manufacturer you made look good on TV, you get parts (new front, rims, skin) only for THAT manufacturer brand
    _it could also be re-attributable points, e.g. you want to trade some handling points for more speed,
    indeed the manufacturer agrees to please his protégé by adapting their beasts to your style
  • Make those upgrades swappable between car types of the same manufacturer and non definitive (so you can toy around depending on races)
  • Make it persistant through all other modes, this way:
    _people care about the solo campaign as you reward them for it. No career mode, no cookie/skin/whatever.
    _you give the player base bragging rights during multiplayer (Look, X or Y has unlocked Z or T, he finished the campaign on MLG mode!)
    _upgrade points can be visible in multiplayer via the HUD with a "target lock" blinking effect on players passing you by, very briefly, giving away the stats, like this:
  • Here, our Broscar won 3 customizable points with the Terra manufacturer and traded handling and acceleration for a better top speed
  • Someone that didn't do solo is not punished, his point distribution/skin/parts are only standard for his car

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:22 pm

I'm still opposed to skill points or redistribution of stats. It removes an aspect of skill from the game (lose the ability for more skilled players to predict how cars will react), promotes minmaxing, and either defeats the purpose of having different classes of cars or the system isn't noticeable. I'm not gonna quit GRIP if it gets implemented, but I don't think it has a place in racing games. A given car's stats should be a constant at all times in this game, otherwise you might as well just let people allocate stat points at the beginning of the game, then choose whatever vehicle model they think looks best.

That said, I like all your other ideas, and would love to see something like this in the final product.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Queadah wrote:Lots of stuff

+1
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:42 pm

wantfastcars wrote:promotes minmaxing, and either defeats the purpose of having different classes of cars

Oh... true. Vanity stuff for starters then. I understand better your point now, "purely aesthetic and you're golden".
Edit: what about unlocking different weapon stacking level ?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Got my ideas straight, wantfascars:
  • Career unlocks parts (depending on the manufacturer of the car you used)
  • Carkour unlocks skins (depending on the manufacturer behind the carkour)
  • Playground unlocks... a secret car :mrgreen: (police hover vehicule FTW \o/)
    gotta admit I haven't managed to get all collectibles in one run yet. A secret car would motivate :lol:
or something like that X)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Fellows, look what I unlocked finishing the last RedBull Carkour ;)
#ManufacturerLoyaltyBitchez

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:14 pm

lol a perfect 5/7.

tbh I wouldn't be against having some sort of manufacturer loyalty system but I'd prefer it to remain cosmetic. Being able to change the cars' performance could lead to some very messy results (as well as minmaxing as someone else has already said) and I'm pretty sure that 90% of people will just trade everything for top speed and it'd become pointless haha.

It all depends on whether 'loyalty rewards' are the best way to implement additional cosmetic things (car liveries, rims, tires, weapon appearances etc etc) because I'm pretty sure there could be a few ways to have those added in. I wouldn't be against the cosmetic side at all if the devs decided to go that route (I played a LOT of wipeout pulse because of this...), but let's not have it affect car performance. :/

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Icyclez
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Icyclez » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:39 am

Queadah wrote: One could actually fuse this idea with a perk system: ...

Maximizing loyalty rewards while keeping balance... I actually love what you came up with! I think the idea of being able to redistribute stat points is flippin genius! +1

Reading WFC's point I partially agree though. I think allowing you to distribute one point (maybe as a final reward) would be fair and would add another small layer of depth to the game. People who really put the time in should be able to know more or less how a car handles but also being able to make a minor adjustment to your cars performance, possibly because you love a certain car, is a cool idea because it gives the driver a small, yet minimally impactful personal choice.

That being said it would require fine tuning and most likely a decent amount of testing to make sure it cannot be exploited so maybe it's not worth spending the time working on such a feature.

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:46 am

Queadah wrote:+1 for the idea!
One could actually fuse this idea with a perk system:
  • Lore-wise, you're an illegal racer
  • By winning you get free shippings from a manufacturer,
    like huge crates in your garage, next to your car, as a loyalty reward ;)
  • Depending on the manufacturer you made look good on TV, you get parts (new front, rims, skin) only for THAT manufacturer brand
    _it could also be re-attributable points, e.g. you want to trade some handling points for more speed,
    indeed the manufacturer agrees to please his protégé by adapting their beasts to your style
  • Make those upgrades swappable between car types of the same manufacturer and non definitive (so you can toy around depending on races)
  • Make it persistant through all other modes, this way:
    _people care about the solo campaign as you reward them for it. No career mode, no cookie/skin/whatever.
    _you give the player base bragging rights during multiplayer (Look, X or Y has unlocked Z or T, he finished the campaign on MLG mode!)
    _upgrade points can be visible in multiplayer via the HUD with a "target lock" blinking effect on players passing you by, very briefly, giving away the stats, like this:
  • Here, our Broscar won 3 customizable points with the Terra manufacturer and traded handling and acceleration for a better top speed
  • Someone that didn't do solo is not punished, his point distribution/skin/parts are only standard for his car

Two thing:

1. Drop the crates idea, it's a risky business. I saw to many games following this road and it's annoying to see your inventory full of crates and, it's more annoying if you need to get a key as well (like TF2, CS:GO, the new Battlefield games). Not to mention if you opened 10 crates and you got nothing but trash (like weapons that know how to count)

2. The customizable point for stats are ruining the learning experience for the cars. Think about when you played Rollcage for the first time: you don't know which cars how handles, so you pick a car by look and you "hit the start", after some time you start knowing how the cars handle on maps and different terrains, after a long time you got the knowledge of all the cars and you have a "go to" car for every race.
By adding a change to a car stat (Dreadnought for example), you turn the car into a pile of trash, or OP as HELL car, even after a small change you have to re-learn how the car handles and remember this is: you are not only one who change the car stat, every human has different plan for said car.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:19 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:1. Drop the crates idea, it's a risky business. I saw to many games following this road and it's annoying to see your inventory full of crates and, it's more annoying if you need to get a key as well (like TF2, CS:GO, the new Battlefield games). Not to mention if you opened 10 crates and you got nothing but trash (like weapons that know how to count)

It's not what I meant. I imagined crates more as a visual clue in short animations inside your garage to introduce your new hood/rims/etc when you first get them, with a large stamp from the manufacturer on it so you cue it to the lore (a manufacturer's reward). You wouldn't be able to keep a crate really.

Things that you unlock out of the blue are devoided of story (who sent it? etc...). TF2 for instance gives me more the impression of the devs granting me something than a reward from an actual ingame accomplishment. I don't want the devs to hand me things, I want to feel GRIP's universe does and there's a difference.

I don't think a TF2 styled inventory would fit GRIP otherwise. Something that toys more with the garage concept would work better imo, like, holographic blueprints for parts for instance (basically, whatever asset only without texture - or a transparent one - and some glow on the edges).
Cybruiser57Péter wrote:2. The customizable point for stats are ruining the learning experience for the cars. Think about when you played Rollcage for the first time: you don't know which cars how handles, so you pick a car by look and you "hit the start", after some time you start knowing how the cars handle on maps and different terrains, after a long time you got the knowledge of all the cars and you have a "go to" car for every race.
By adding a change to a car stat (Dreadnought for example), you turn the car into a pile of trash, or OP as HELL car, even after a small change you have to re-learn how the car handles and remember this is: you are not only one who change the car stat, every human has different plan for said car.

100% legit, yeah. Wantfascars already convinced me that idea was flawed. Still thinking of something else though.

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:35 am

Queadah wrote:It's not what I meant. I imagined crates more as a visual clue in short animations inside your garage to introduce your new hood/rims/etc when you first get them, with a large stamp from the manufacturer on it so you cue it to the lore (a manufacturer's reward). You wouldn't be able to keep a crate really.

Things that you unlock out of the blue are devoided of story (who sent it? etc...). TF2 for instance gives me more the impression of the devs granting me something than a reward from an actual ingame accomplishment. I don't want the devs to hand me things, I want to feel GRIP's universe does and there's a difference.

I don't think a TF2 styled inventory would fit GRIP otherwise. Something that toys more with the garage concept would work better imo, like, holographic blueprints for parts for instance (basically, whatever asset only without texture - or a transparent one - and some glow on the edges).car.

Sounds good to me, but still a one things bothers me, if you get a duplicate of an item and you don't want that, what are you going to do whit it?

Queadah wrote:100% legit, yeah. Wantfascars already convinced me that idea was flawed. Still thinking of something else though.

What about "cosmetic points" , basically you earn these points, by keeping a good reputation whit your manufacturer.
The manufacturer can also give contracts and if you finish a contract for them, they unlock more fancier customizable options for you, so you can said to the others: "you see this awesome car, yep I spill my own (and some others) blood for it".
It also serve as visual identity and you can figure out who is the "elite for the manufacturer" and who is the "fresh meat"
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Return to “Vehicles”