POLL: Middle car class name

Talk about Grip's metal beasts

Which class names do you like best for the one between Speedster and Tank?

Aggressor
21%
Roller
15%
Destroyer
4%
Apollo
9%
Roadster
19%
Hybrid
11%
Enforcer
21%

Total votes: 47

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

POLL: Middle car class name

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

You get two votes
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Re: POLL: Middle car class name

Postby Tathendal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Voted for Roller and Roadster since these fit best with speedster and tank and also in a way are fitting description-wise. Aggressor feels to me like it might have high acceleration or high top speed or sport aggressive behaviour weapon-wise (same thing with Destroyer, which would btw fit Tank class well IMO, then it would be Speedster, Roller/Roadster, Destoyer to make it nice and consistent literally and semantically), which neither are exactly accurate description. A mid-class vehicle to me is the least aggressive choice either speed-wise or shooting-wise. Hybrid makes you think of hybrid cars, which probably isn't a good association here. Roller sounds best to me and the fact that it makes you think of Rollcage is a nice plus, a little homage if you will. Apollo and Enforcer are decent too!

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Aggressor from this list fits most, mainly since middle class is a versatile class, "all rounder" etc. In other words it's the type of performance that benefits from aggressive style of gameplay since you have to play to your opponents weaknesses to have an edge against them. So you can't wait for the part of the track where you can just walk over everything else but you have to skillfully utilise your opponents weakness to gain a lead on all the parts where they can't walk over you.
The problem with this name is that most people won't really go so deep into it and will assume that it means "ram them all" style of car. As with many great ideas, the humanity is the biggest issue.

Roller as mentioned in the other thread is essentially a board with a stick and two small wheels which rolls as you push yourself forward. And it reminds me of Rover. All of those things are something that is closer to crappy, unreliable, weak, brittle, slow etc. rather than versatile, reliable, fast, epic etc.

Destroyer is a name for a tank. And I mean a specific car, rather than a class.

Apollo is too specific name, definitely fits more to a certain car that has a theme of sun to it.

Roadster is a convertible. Enough said.

Hybrid... well, that was my proposition and... it's so bad xD The only thing that comes to my mind is a Toyota Prius. Maybe 10-15 years into the future that word will have a better ring to it, but currently... it's just too much of a "fashionable car for celebrities" vibe to it. It describes the class perfectly when seen from a grammatical standpoint but nowadays people are not only bad with grammar, they just think of electrical cars whenever they hear the word "hybrid".

Enforcer sounds like a name of a police car tbh, but given how all the other names are completely way off the mark (apart from Aggressor naturally), this was the natural second choice on the list. That said police cars usually need to be quite versatile, slightly on the heavier side, with decent top speed, acceleration and handling, so that it doesn't matter what car the chased person is using, you can keep up. That of course is theory, and I think we all know how it looks in practice.

I still would opt for the "GT" name that I suggested in the car names thread. The most automotive name that fits the style of the car and describes it perfectly. Even people that aren't interested in cars have a really high chance of getting immediately what sort of a car it will be.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:39 am

Roadster was my fav. It sounds to be generic enough to fit between 2 other classes.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:24 am

Ryu Makkuro wrote:Aggressor from this list fits most, mainly since middle class is a versatile class, "all rounder" etc. In other words it's the type of performance that benefits from aggressive style of gameplay since you have to play to your opponents weaknesses to have an edge against them. So you can't wait for the part of the track where you can just walk over everything else but you have to skillfully utilise your opponents weakness to gain a lead on all the parts where they can't walk over you.
The problem with this name is that most people won't really go so deep into it and will assume that it means "ram them all" style of car. As with many great ideas, the humanity is the biggest issue.

I think Aggresor fits best from the list too. It is a nice simple name that represents what the class is about.

Ryu Makkuro wrote:Apollo is too specific name, definitely fits more to a certain car that has a theme of sun to it.

Well Apollo is also (along with a shitton of other things) the god of reason and the rational.
But it still is very different from the other very simple classnames.

I actually liked Voodoos Median very much, too., because the name is super simple, but it shows that the class is between the other two classes.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 pm

TheOnLY wrote:Well Apollo is also (along with a shitton of other things) the god of reason and the rational.
But it still is very different from the other very simple classnames.

Yeah. The general consensus is that you'd use that name for a specific car, rather than an entire car class. Maybe (big one) a manufacturer name.

Return to “Vehicles”