Vehicle Scale? SOLVED!

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
DriftRacer14

Vehicle Scale? SOLVED!

Postby DriftRacer14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 am

I've finally gotten around to grabbing that screenie of a RC:S2 loading screen. The vehicles are obviously massive, but when I guessed 4-8 times that of a standard car, I may have undershot, although not by much.

UnityGenesis_CarCrush.jpg
UnityGenesis_CarCrush.jpg (748.67 KiB) Viewed 2961 times

Excuse the crappy quality; digital cameras never have been able to capture oldschool televisions with much precision, but the size comparison is clear enough.

The Unity Genesis completely DWARFS the minivan it's crushing. The Genesis is about 3-4X wider than a standard car, 2X taller, and 2X longer. So, assuming the vehicles in GRIP are about the same size as the ones in RC and RC:S2, it's safe to assume 12-16 minivans can fit within the same space that a single GRIP/Rollcage vehicle can, give or take a bumper. Since a human is generally about the same height as a minivan, previous assumptions of humans being half a tire/wheel height of a GRIP/Rollcage vehicle are correct, give or take a bit.

Now that that's settled, I can rest easy. That was bugging the crap outta me... :)
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Vehicle Scale? SOLVED!

Postby Queadah » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 am

lol Also, if memory serves, I think the devs said GRIP cars weight around 300 tons depending on the car, give or take (what they used as a number in UE4 for the physics).

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:38 am

I think there was some consept art of GRIP that showcased cars with a human next to it a size reference

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Mik1 wrote:I think there was some consept art of GRIP that showcased cars with a human next to it a size reference

Yea, we do actually. Where was this... Looks for it Ah, here it is, under the Fan Film thread ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2588 )

Django wrote:@DriftRacer14

Best indication we have so far (and one of the best artworks).

I personally feel that having the guy sitting on the bike may lessen the sense of sheer scale on these vehicles as opposed to just having the guy, say, leaning against the wheel (Someone make some concept art of this plz? :D ) but it's still about the same as what my screenshot suggests :)
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 am

@Broscar methinks the PC version took some liberties with that intro lol

potterman28wxcv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 am

DriftRacer14 wrote:@Broscar methinks the PC version took some liberties with that intro lol

PS1 intro
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 pm

@broscar I stand corrected. Maybe the scale changed between the games? XD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Grip cars are about 2 or 3 times bigger than a normal one, making the tires about 6ft tall

Queadah wrote:lol Also, if memory serves, I think the devs said GRIP cars weight around 300 tons depending on the car, give or take (what they used as a number in UE4 for the physics).

ha, nooo. More like 5 tonnes
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 am

Chris_CE wrote:ha, nooo. More like 5 tonnes

Emmm excuse me but HOW THE F*CK COULD THEY WEIGH 5 TONNES?
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:33 am

The tires are comparable to Monster truck tires. Chris said in another tread they are about 6ft big which would mean 71 inch or 1,8 m. The tires of a monster truck are mostly 66inch (= 1,67m) which means a weight of 426 lb or 210 kg per tire. Thats a difference of about 10 % so we can expect 4 x 230 kg = 920kg alone for the tires if the are made pretty much the same as monster truck tires.

If we compare the size to military vehicles of the same size we can estimate what the plating would roughly weight. The Pandur I armoured personnel carrier is 1,8 m high and 5,7 m long and armoured against machine gun fire. It has a weight of about 13,5 tonnes. So 300 tonnes is maybe a bit much. But i agree that 5 t sounds like not very much.
Spoiler: show

A armoured Lenco BearCat (used by SWAT) brings in 16,500–17,550 lb or about 7,7 t. Its only armoured against assoult rifles and looks much less impressive. Height 8 - 12 feet (2,4m-3,6m) and length 20 ft (6m) which is roughly grip size.

Spoiler: show

Considering how massive grip cars look i suggest 20 t but 5 t is not as unrealistic as it first sounds. Its easily possible considering future tech.

EDIT: This is of course ignoring the destructive power of Anti tank missiles. Modern ATGMs like the FGM-148 Javelin are able to destroy even large tanks with one hit. But than again maybe the rockets in grip are not meant to destroy.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah, 20 tonnes sounds better no doubt.
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”