Symmetric or Asymmetric Cars?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
FrostyPL

Re: Symmetric or Asymmetric Cars?

Postby FrostyPL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:41 am

Tiakh wrote:
i think you could actually have some inbetween design: not completely asymmetric, but also not completely symmetric! So parts are the same on both sides and some details not. So it would not be 100% more work to make the other side, just deleting/adding some details. And you still have some of the cool asymmetric effect with less work.

So like Dreadnought or Warlander.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I think asymmetric paint jobs would be cool and shouldn't eat too much resources.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:32 pm

@Tiakh: indeed, could do smaller asymmetric details

@Only: Yeah, this would still require a duplicate UV set for the car though, and we'd have to rebuild some of the master vehicle material
Game Director
GRIP

minimacman
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby minimacman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:43 pm

The cars' UVs currently duplicate different areas of the car to allow more detail in the mesh but the draw back of this is symmetrical designs but yeh as Chris said a second UV would solve this its just the thing of having to re-unwrap everything 0_0
Racing is love, Racing is life :P
vvv Click the image to see my portfolio vvv

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:47 pm

minimacman wrote:just the thing of having to re-unwrap everything 0_0

Yeah, no thanks :p
Game Director
GRIP

SidisterBore

Postby SidisterBore » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:35 pm

So far this thread has only considered the geometry and physical appearance of asymmetric cars.

But, I think this is a perfect opportunity for me to bring up my asymmetrical load-out idea.

One of the most interesting mechanics of GRIP, is sadly one that is hardly utilized at all. The vehicle’s driving orientation. It’s currently only an accidental aspect of the game that a car can be neither right-side-up, or up-side-down. All it currently does is make going off jumps fun because you can land upside down. TAKE ADVANTAGE of this!

Why not allow the player to utilize each side of the car differently. You could even have a loadout and upgrade system based around equipping the car or each side of the car with abilities before a race or string of races. When the car is on one side, perhaps it could be more aerodynamic, or have more GRIP, or less grip, or could be more resistant to incoming power-ups, or have stronger power-ups, or it could be tank-like and be able to knock other cars around more (but slower), or be more susceptible to collision, or it could have air maneuverability, or more resistant to only certain weapons while more susceptible to others. The differences don’t have to be extreme. But, it could add a dimension to the game and give the player the incentive to race a certain way, or to race in ways that take advantage of their orientation load out and/or compliment the loadouts of other racers.

If a player needs to be on the offensive, they could opt to have a fast loadout for one side of the car with stronger weapons at the cost of acceleration or turning or armor combined with a defensive load out for the opposite side of the car.

In addition to an Vehicle Orientation System like this, you could also implement a jump system. Instead of requiring a player to go off a jump to get airborne and rotate their car give them a jump ability themselves. It could be a jump button that makes a car go slightly airborne so they can do a barrel roll (Not unlike the Mach 5 in SpeedRacer, or the cars in Rocket League), or it could be an item they pickup, or only available if they’ve equipped it on the car/loadout. A jump ability would ALSO allow a player to tactfully avoid pile-ups and obstacles which the game is currently plagued with, but they would need to skillfully execute a jump to do so.

Note: I'm not a game developer. I've only developed front-end web design. I realize a system like this could take time. But, thats why I bought the Early Access game, because I think this game could be something great.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Problem is most of the car are symmetrical, so there's no visual indication of which side you're on (and which attributes are available)

Certainly an interesting idea, but something to think about once all the base features in the game are in. We've still got a few pickups to implement, and once they're in the balance of the game will change for the better, with room for more strategy
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”