Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

POLICE car: we need this in our lives!

Postby Queadah » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 am

We had this discussion way before talking about a track:
https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=891#p7968

I think there's an opportunity for GRIP to up the ante with the sexy law enforcement agents in its story (https://www.cagedelement.com/grip/#story), Blade Runner style:

And since there's this dude that made this incredible 3D model (UE4 ready - check it out at http://boysichterman.com/projects/nB9z6):

Just make it a hover vehicle (no wheels - or just the one behind to customize it once you unlock it after playing campaign on hard?) and tune it to make it look like "police":

Then buy it from him... no? :mrgreen:

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: POLICE car: we need this in our lives!

Postby Django » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Wow thats a pretty cool video.

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 pm

It's gonna be hard to pleasure Chris with any model of Police car :P

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 am

Damn, I thought the model of Boy Sichterman above would cut it (albeit with a few tweaks)... but hey, Chris must have something in mind 8-)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:43 pm

This car is very cool, just a bit flimsy looking for intergalactic police

FrostyPL wrote:It's gonna be hard to pleasure Chris with any model of Police car :P

Just because I don't like your buddy's car doesn't mean I'm hard to please ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Giving a few pointers to that man could do too. His cockpit model is so detailed CE could make cheap cinematics with little camera work and lighting (e.g. his cockpit opening gif). Rest of the hull can be made bulkier then.

Most of the work would be already done.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks Queadah for the video, it's pretty interesting!
Queadah wrote:Just make it a hover vehicle

This would feel too much like Wipe'Out", wouldn't it?
imho if we have police cars, they should be the same kind of cars as the ones we drive ingame (ok everyone has understood by now that i don't like 3 wheeled cars^^).
Another solution could be... no police cars at all: why not a police ship flying like 50 meters above the ground, firing missiles and stuff to us, that we could try to avoid (maybe some kind of spot on the ground a second before impact, so we can try and correct our trajectory)
Here's a picture to illustrate what i'm thinking about (behold the power of Paint, and get ready to melt your eyes):

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Lame! :P Just another car, that's soooo yesterday ;)

I say the aggressive futuristic Police hover a few mfcking inches above the ground to T-bone our brains out! :twisted:
ImageImage
Hell yeah! Who's with me? :mrgreen:

Jetgaze

Postby Jetgaze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Meh...Hovers are no GRIP. They have totally different physics...And there are many of futuristic racing games filled with hovers. I dont want to see any in Grip.

And im neutral about police cars. You can just PAINT your car black and white and be good with it. If Devs add "decals" and gabarit lights color customisation, you will be able to replicate police aesthetics even further.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 pm

When we thought up police intervention 2 years ago, we envisioned the police using hover ships by the side of the track that can be targetable by players, not additional cars on the track that were police. What's the difference between having additional race opponents and police then? Not much, really. We want to separate the two
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Chris_CE wrote: What's the difference between having additional race opponents and police then?

Well the police isn't trying to win to race but instead to stop the player(s) by shooting and ramming. Therefore the police could be given faster cars, at least when used by AI, or they just come after you with numbers (imagine trying to lose/shoot/ram 20 cop cars while trying to avoid their attacks:O) to make more tense chases.

The other options sounds very good too! (It's just that I'd just love a police car and some kind of chase mode as talked previously somewhere, would be really fun 1v1 or team vs team mode also)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Chris_CE wrote:When we thought up police intervention 2 years ago, we envisioned the police using hover ships by the side of the track that can be targetable by players, not additional cars on the track that were police. What's the difference between having additional race opponents and police then? Not much, really. We want to separate the two

Thank God!
+999 for a clear distinction (not a texture over an existing car - cheap and boring)

Muskylounger
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Muskylounger » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 am

I like Sigrids idea of a police ship. Reminds me of Split/Second.

A mode like that where you have to dodge the projectiles raining down onto the track while trying to beat a certain time would be great,

once more detructible buildings and large objects get added to the game this could become very intense.

This is now second in my wishlist behind the CTF style mode I'm confident is coming :)

shadyx49

Postby shadyx49 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 am

Oh I like the idea it fits well the story!

Return to “Vehicles”