Stop blowing up these beautiful machines

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Stop blowing up these beautiful machines

Postby agcue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 am

Every time I see a GRIP car get blown up I die a little inside :cry:

I would much rather see the vehicle disabled than completely annihilated.

Rollcage vehicles were indestructible and this is a great idea that contributed greatly to those games identity.

So instead of the vehicle blowing up - disable it, have sparks and electricity, and possibly a little bit of smoke emanate from it but let it remain on track fully intact; as a new obstacle.

There could be some really cool gameplay mechanics born out of this. For example, (when the career mode is in the game) it solves the problem of killing the driver when their GRIP explodes :( and they wouldn't need to eject or anything like that :geek: This leads into another mechanic, as the vehicle is disabled rather than destroyed it could still have offensive capabilities i.e. emit a force push when vehicles are near it, or use a machine gun on them as they pass - these 'perks' could be limited to a few uses, initiate automatically; they could be unlocked as you progress through the game. I'm sure this creative community could think of a slew of great 'perks' that would be effective in mp and racing modes!

And let us never again have to see another GRIP destroyed!!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: STOP BLOWING UP THESE BEAUTIFUL MACHINES

Postby Queadah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am

I'm surprised Potty/Broscar didn't remove caps on this thread's title ;)

Ahem, this is actually a very good remark agcue. It IS a bit eyebrow-raising to me too that they'd have to explode (police only?).
Don't have time right now but I think we should really throw ideas towards this before GRIP is fully cemented in its mechanics :)

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 am

Well, I kinda see your point, there is very much valid argument behind it buuuuut...... I don't agree with it. The explosion is very satisfactory. Imagine shooting a missile into a flaming rig you have been tailing quite some time, and instead of it exploding it would go silently "Bowwwwwww..........." and just slow down, what an anti-climax!

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:09 am

Wasnt there an option to disable destructions?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am

Queadah wrote:I'm surprised Potty/Broscar didn't remove caps on this thread's title ;)

Done :)

On the topic, like Tathendal said, destruction is very satisfactory, and it would defeat the purpose to have destroyable vehicles if they were just shutdown.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Stop blowing up these beautiful machines

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:48 am

WROB3L going to have few word about this!

Anyway, looks like everyone is fine with the destruction so far (including myself) and it's only gets better (i hope).
Don't for get that blowing up car is not primary feature for GRIP, it's only a nice addition to it.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 pm

I love blowing cars up, and yep, there's an option to disable it outside of arena mode.
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun May 07, 2017 3:09 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:WROB3L going to have few word about this!

I'm a bit late, but hey! Atleast im here :D

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Don't for get that blowing up car is not primary feature for GRIP, it's only a nice addition to it.

WAT!? SAY THAT TO MY FACE! :evil:

My only complaint about destruction is that THEY ARE NOT RIPPED APART! WHEELS FLYING EVERYWHERE! ENGINES EXPLODING IN A HUGE BALL OF FIRE! BLOOD AND GUTS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

I've been dreaming about destructible vehicles since i was 5, when i played Stage II! It's a seller for me, one of the features that should be in every combat racing game!
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

playabot

Postby playabot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 am

haha a damage modle like that of Arkhum Knight woul be cool :) the way the flaes stark ficking up off the batmobile.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 am

Dude even something simple like the body of the car turning black (Charred wreckage) and sliding along the road until it hits something, and the wheels flying off in different directions, would be beautiful.

This is how Hot Wheels Turbo Racing did it :D

Skip to about 3:10, although the vehicle choice doesn't really show off the vehicle turning black too well.
8:40 and 11:46 show it a lot better.
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

cars will blow into pieces when they explode. That's part of the polishing phase though
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Vehicles”