A Solution to Balancing

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
OrangeSodaMachine

A Solution to Balancing

Postby OrangeSodaMachine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I don't like it when a design I like isn't competitive. There might be a character I like but there are better options. Take the Conqueror's from Redout for example. The design is great but taking it into a half-competent lobby is suicide.
What I propose is this: skill points. Any vehicle can have any build you want. Each vehicle comes with a pre-packaged distribution of stat points. These stats can be changed into whatever you want.
Do you want your Cygon to survive something more than a gentle push? Do you what a tempest with a turning radius. Do you want a Warlander build for nothing but speed? That is an option. Just pay the fee.

atv_123

Re: A Solution to Balancing

Postby atv_123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:54 pm

So basically let's just say you have 30 performance points and you can use them on whatever you want... just when your run out... your out. It's not enough to fill up all your stats so you have to pick and choose? I can dig it. I know there are some games out there that have done this but heaven forbid for me to be able to remember what they are right now.

That being said... I still think that the vehicles should still have their own distinctive underlying stats. That along with while you can apply these points however you wish, they should be limited in what they can do. For instance, I wouldn't want someone to be able to upgrade a lightweight racer to the point that it just ends up being a driving tank that can bend the laws of physics with its stock speed and grip. These upgrades need to be kept within reason.

This also brings in the possibility of race classes from stock, or lightly tuned to an unlimited class or something (not really unlimited) where before each race you could kit out your vehicle with the amount of points that are available for that race type. 0 for stock, 10 for light tune, 20 for tunned, 30 for ballistic, 100 for unlimited because screw logic I wanna go light speed and be able to shrug off ICBM's like its nothing.

playabot

Postby playabot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm

I was thinking something along these lines when I did my vehicle and weapon upgrade spiel.

Even if as you use a vehicle more only one point on each stat unlocks. A point can be about 5% of that stat line. Then the player can move that 5% onto another stat of their choosing. Maybe the devs could look at balance options within this... so for example take a point from each stat and ad them to speed, your first point is a full 5% but if you ad another to the same stat you only get 4%, and the next 3% - so there could be a level of scripted or organic balancing... i.e. the strength of a speeder class can only be upgraded so far and the more points you throw at it the less the stat grows, likewise, the acceleration of the tank class.

Or alternatively we could be offered the choice of a number of pre-set builds of a particular vehicle. So for example I could choose to drive a Dominator and within that stat class choose different builds with different strengths that are still calibrated to that vehicle so that I'm not able to drive a Dom with the stats of a Dread.

But however it happens I would really like to see a lvl of customisation as suggested in this thread.

+1

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I reckon this topic was alluded to in the perk thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3479&hilit=perk.
A new front could -1 your speed but +1 your resist and whatnot, a new back could +1 your accel but -1 your speed.

Return to “Vehicles”