[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Car physics - Page 2 - GRIP Video Game Forum

Car physics

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Tazeram

Re: Car physics

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 pm

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Or we could take inspiration from wipeout and implement different classes with different speeds
:ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:39 pm

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 pm

... Sonic & All-Stars Racing is hard?

There must be some pretty poor drivers out there then!

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 pm

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Whiplash
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Whiplash » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Car physics is the last thing that I'm worried about, even it's the most important one. I just believe Rob knows very well what he's doing, cause that's the thing that he mastered while doing RC1 > RC2.

SLOT
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SLOT » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:45 am

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:55 am

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were marketed as hard games. They are universally known among the gaming crowd to be hard games (though honestly, they're not hard if you're just patient).

I still think it's a mistake to change the car physics to cater to people that usually waste their time on Candy Crush/Farmville/Cookie Clicker.
Difficulty modes? Of course.
But dumbing down the car physics for an audience that might not even be interested in this game, at the risk of alienating existing fans... I totally get what you guys are saying, it's just that I disagree with it (and not because I'm supposedly an elitelist scumbag who wants to form GRIP entirely to his own liking - I just think it'd be an unwise business decision).

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:01 am

+1 Broscar

I agree
wipeout is popular too, right?
And isn't that also a racer that is concidered hard to master?
:ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:09 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:17 am

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:45 am

Physics-wise, Rc1 has a better handling than rc2. And not because the latter is easier, but because the first one has a more "direct" connection between the controls and the car. On rc2 there were too many systems in place that made driving easier but also felt like the car was to some extent on autopilot.

That's what, in my opinion, should any racing game be: the more direct is the connection between the driver and the car, the better.
That said, you can add difficulties as stronger ai, faster cars, harder tracks. But adding a layer of code to prevent people from spinning in place if they can't drive or if that's what they want to achieve, that's making the game arcadey and takes the fun away. Imho.

So, of course we wont get the same feel in grip. But as long as my car stops behaving nicely if i floor the gas unless i pour my total attention into driving, it's going to be good.

Also, i quote broscar when he talks about unwise business decision. Ther's just so many people commenting on the internet which want the physics to be done right.

Oh yeah? I'm so boring that
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 am

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:00 pm

I'll let you in on a tidbit of inside info:

Rob thinks that the physics in Grip are actually better and more fun to handle than in Rollcage (1).
I tend to agree with him.
The car has more weight this time around, and feels like a tank of a machine. But it goes incredibly fast and requires care not to spin out on a decent turn.
It also doesn't do a triple axel when it hits something (RC), but rather smashes to a halt with debris and smoke.

Basically it feels like a big ass car, which is what it is.

The issues with RC1's physics/handling are as follows (sorry guys, I don't remember Stage 2 much):

-touch anything with your tire and you spin out
-enter the air, and feel like a toy, spinning around

And that's about it. We don't have those issues in Grip
I just went into Redux to play around and make sure that I didn't miss anything (and played 20 minutes without realizing it).

The game is fun, and the driving is great. We've just taken that to another level, and I think a more realistic one, without compromising fun.
Game Director

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:06 am

I guess speed is key to the excitement while driving, and Rollcage was a bit silly sometimes when you flipped around due to exploding lamp posts!

Just as long as the weight of the cars do not bog down on the the jumps and driving along walls and ceilings etc...

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:55 am

If you managed to retain the "omg keep it together!!" feeling while not having anymore the "i'm still spinning... i'm still spinning..." time while going airborne... that looks great!!

Oh yeah? I'm so boring that
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 am

I always liked when the car did a 'triple axel' because I hit something, the over-the-top crashing/rolling was as equal-parts infuriating in the middle of a heated race as it was funny because 'holy sh*t in real life I'd be a wet blob of fat from the G-forces and yet here I am landing on my wheels and continuing on'!

Though yes, I do concede that sometimes those crashes were a bit BS.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Why not have assist options for things like air control and have suspension as a stat. My idea is that having a soft suspension means that it would be more forgiving when it comes to bumps and jumps. A hard suspension would make it so its more unforgiving when hitting bumps and jumps. That way both new comers and hard core veterans can enjoy the vehicle physics the way they want to. Also I think that the suspension should be a tuning option for all cars. As in something that could be switched to soft or hard for all cars.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Tweaking the suspension is already a very dangerous game. It can change how the car handles DRASTICALLY.
Having modifiable suspension would be something to think of down the road if the model used is more forgiving of changes.

But yes, I would like to see a lot of customization, and that would be a good part to do so
Game Director

Return to “Vehicles”