[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Car physics - Page 3 - GRIP Video Game Forum

Car physics

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
gbaranek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Car physics

Postby gbaranek » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

I agree with the most of you and I hope that steering will be more like R1, not like in RS2. Grip in this game should be something most valuable for the player, something that he needs to fight for and learn to master the car. It shouldn't be just given. I would accept high adhesion to the track only as a power up limited by time.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:34 am

I'm actually growing to the idea of having higher grip than Rollcage.

As long as the cars are fast (possibly faster than Rollcage in general), and as long as the tracks are exciting and have to keep you on your toes, then i am actually glad a tiny rock or indent in the road won't randomly send me skidding in circles. :P

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:51 am

Whiplash
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Whiplash » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Do you guys think a car with asymmetric top and bottom side should have different handling depending on what side it drives on? I mean, would it be good to have them behave differently because of different aerodynamics? Maybe it could be a special feature of asymmetric cars?

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:38 pm

that would be too difficult in my oppinion
:ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Ria

Postby Ria » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:08 am

While we're waiting for Grip:

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Ria

Postby Ria » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 am

For Ria, the "right" side is the good-looking side up, one with the triangular-ish cockpit and the exhaust pipes, whereas the "wrong" side up is the sort of flat, boring side.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:17 am

I'm unable to reproduce what Ria is describing. The cars handle the same no matter which side they're driven on over on my end.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 am

The cars' trajectory on Daytona depend on the speed of the approach, how straight you are and whether you're turning. I've found that turning whilst coming up on that jump makes the car tip down more.

It doesn't matter what side up the car is when it approaches, the game doesn't have complicated enough physics to simulate drag based on the cars' shapes (it doesn't even have an actual physics engine, guys). It's just a placebo effect. :p

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Ria

Postby Ria » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:13 am

Really? I've been dealing with this for years. I'll have to do a systematic research. You have not heard the last from me on this.

Also, there has to be something going on with the physics simulation. At times, a seemingly perfect landing will instead yield a mad multiaxial spin. There are quite a few quirks with the Rollcage physics, I don't think they're entirely understood.

Ria

Postby Ria » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 am

I stand by my word, ladies and sirs. I did a test today, 20 laps on the "wrong" side and 20 laps on the "right" side, observing the Daytona big jump landing results.

On the "wrong" side, 6 out of 20 landings resulted in backflips.
On the "right" side, 0 out of 20 landings resulted in backflips.

I drove Ria on turbo challenge, using no power-ups, driving the high road above the beach, using all three sets of booster strips from the hairpin turn. A few wobbly takeoffs were observed, but only when driving on the "wrong" side.

I will repeat this experiment with even more laps and record it in two weeks, when I'm back to high-speed internet.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Ria

Postby Ria » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 am

Here's my theory: Maybe the car's simulated center of mass is slightly off? Could there be something about the basics of how the Rollcage cars are modeled that prevented the programmers/designers from placing the center of mass exactly halfway up the car's total height?

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 am

As for physics, I thing they should be more closely to RC1. Something about RC2 physics felt off for me. In RC1 you had to master how your favorite driver handled. Also the way the cars landled on the ground felt much better in RC1 as well (challenging but stil fun). In all RC2 was too forgiving in several areas.
Rollcage 1 type physics all the way!

PS I found RC1 chase cam more engaging than RC2. It felt as that was part of the game that gave it more character or "soul"

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Doesn't Unreal Engine already have a pre-made physics engine in it?
sus

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 am

Yeah, but it's not physically possible to have a car with a certain weight, a certain handling and certain features that drives at such speeds. For that to be possible you have to tweak and bend the physics engine and the item's physical properties to try and approximate a certain behavior. This is why any suggestion dealing with altering gravity and/or adding forces results in headaches for the devs, because they have to take this into account and sort of come up with a tailored solution for every situation that "feels right".

Oh yeah? I'm so boring that
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Return to “Vehicles”