How fast, in terms of top speed, will GRIP cars go?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Mystical

How fast, in terms of top speed, will GRIP cars go?

Postby Mystical » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:56 am

Will they stay true to the original or are we gonna have a handful of genesis cars to pick?

SuperSomariDX

Re: How fast, in terms of top speed, will GRIP cars go?

Postby SuperSomariDX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 am

I'm all for Classes geared towards certain aspects. Something more towards something like this.

All-Around | Speed | Acceleration | Grip/Stability | Cornering | Extreme |

Car 1
Car 2
Car 3
Car 4
Car X
Car (Custom)

or so forth.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:11 pm

I don't like the idea of having classes based on unlocking better and better cars, but i'm fine with the idea of classes based on varying stats, but where vehicles equal out in total overall ability.

It should be more like Rollcage 1, with the exception of Yuri, where the stats are varying based on grip, speed, defense etc... I'd like that rather than Rollcage Stage 2, where vehicle are unlocked gradually with increase in ability and weapons through out the game, so once completed, everyone just ends up racing Genesis.
Last edited by Tazeram on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:14 pm

What about different leagues where the higher tier, the faster the races are
This way we can have hardcore physics and slow first tier to satisfy the newer generation and extremely fast, edge of control racing in the later leagues that is challenging for the rollcage fans
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 pm

That's not a bad suggestion. I just dislike the gradual unlock mechanic that was in Rollcage stage 2.

As long as we have a beginner tier and advanced tier, and beginner cars can't race advanced cars both in multiplayer and online, then i guess it makes sense.

On the other hand, can we not just have a large selection of equally high tier cars, like in Rollcage 1 (With the exception of Yuri), and just hope, like they did in Rollcage 1, that people would take the time to accommodate and practice the game mechanics?

As people have pointed out before, the watering-out of the game for the beginners were the reason Stage 2 never succeeded like the original Rollcage game did.

The main thing i want to see is a huge variation of paint schemes, and by the looks of the trailer, that is what we got!
Last edited by Tazeram on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 am

Speed classes similar to how WipEout (and Mario Kart? Unsure, haven't played it in a long time) does it could be a good way to solve the difficulty issue.
WipEout HD having:
Venom, Flash, Rapier, Phantom.
That could work really well in GRIP, with the highest speed class being called Neo of course ;p

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:07 am

I liked the way tires automatically switched in RC1. On city tracks you had slick racing tires, snow tracks had big treaded tires.

So maybe that could be a compromise. On tracks like the one in the trailer, skinny dirt racing tires similar to MX bikes makes sense to me. But they would seem a little out of place in the city.

So either automatic switch between different tires, or maybe leave it up to the player to changes tires. That way if in Parklife 2.0 if someone was all about the shortcuts they might prefer dirt tires over slicks.

(edit) this post was meant for the fatter tire thread. If a mod could move it I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by harrisonosirrah on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:24 pm

I would also prefer speed tiers:
every car has about 3 variations. beginner, advanced and pro (something like that)
so you can choose a tier, than a car and then the colour.
every tier should have the same cars. the higher tier cars look the similar, but a bit more badass tuned than the beginners.
A bit like in Rumble Racing (PS2). However the changes shouldnt be too big like in rumble racing.
Just a small adjustment, so you can see on the car ,just by looking closely ,in which tier it is.

i wouldnt mind if the cars design doesnt change through changing the tiers, but it would be a nice feature.

i also appreciate the idea of harrisonosirrah. Different tires for different tracks is logic. But i would prefer the automatic switch between tires.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Would be cool to have the tires switch to whatever dominant surface the track uses, for sure.

As for tiers of cars, currently the idea is to have something like 4 tiers: speedster, racer, dominator, tank (names are just examples)

Speedster - quickest acceleration, low top speed, responsive steering, low weight (easily thrown around by missiles, mines, etc)
Racer - fast accel, medium top speed, good steering, average weight
Dominator - decent accel, fast top speed, harder to steer, pretty heavy
Tank - slow accel, high top speed, turns like a brick, heavy as f**k and really hard to stop (joking about the brick part)

These are the default cars, but can be upgraded to increase performance. How those upgrades work and how they affect the game outside of arcade mode, is something we're still talking about, but I'd rather not disclose everything we're doing.

And of course, nothing is final yet, so discuss till your fingers bleed
Game Director
GRIP

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:56 am

Those could work really well as bases, and then use equipment (spoilers, exhausts, suspension maybe) to fine tune to your preference
Like a spoiler will take 2 (arbitrary) units off top speed and acceleration and add 4 to grip
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I like the speed class idea and having all of the car's stats in a fashion similar to rollcage 1. I also love the idea of tuning your car to fit your playstyle with parts. I would like to see the cars to have a practically unlimited speed when it comes to boost panels and boost power-ups.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 am

I believe i remember reading that there is a threshold of around 700kmh?

IncaWara

Postby IncaWara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Chris_CE wrote:As for tiers of cars, currently the idea is to have something like 4 tiers: speedster, racer, dominator, tank (names are just examples)

Speedster - quickest acceleration, low top speed, responsive steering, low weight (easily thrown around by missiles, mines, etc)
Racer - fast accel, medium top speed, good steering, average weight
Dominator - decent accel, fast top speed, harder to steer, pretty heavy
Tank - slow accel, high top speed, turns like a brick, heavy as f**k and really hard to stop (joking about the brick part)

I quite like the idea of having different tiers like that. I'd like to think that each tier would have some advantages and dissadvantages on certain tracks so that the choice of car wouldn't be based on the stats, but based on how well a player can perform with a certain tier of car.
"Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate."
-V

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:50 am

What if you did what stage 2 did and had tiers (with actual diferences) along with the classes of cars? That way there can be a gradual intro to the true speed of the game to newbies and give old timers time to know what thier driving style will be like in the game. It also can set up how diferent classes will be more evident in tier 4.

Example:
Tier 1 can have a base multiplier of 1 to all stats
Tier 2 can have a base multiplier of 1.25 to all stats
Tier 3 can have a base multiplier of 1.75 to all stats
Tier 4 can have a base multiplier of 2 to all stats
(Chris imma use your classes):
Speedster:
Accel: 1.5x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Speed: .75x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Armor: .75x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Grip: 1.5x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Racer:
Accel: 1.25x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Speed: 1x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Armor: 1x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Grip: 1.25x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Dominator:
Accel: 1x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Speed: 1.25x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Armor: 1.25x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Grip: 1x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Tank!:
Accel: .75x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Speed: 1.5x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Armor: 1.5x(Tier Lvl Modifier)
Grip: .75x(Tier Lvl Modifier)

Also on top of that there can also be manufacturer multipliers and modification multipliers. Idk if this is how its set up but i do think this should go in another thread. Also i do believe this is how borderlands handles thier generation system of guns (the stats on the parts)
Edit: Made it make more sense, X= base stat (100 for ex) and the tier Lvl modifier is its own variable that applys after the base stat is affected by the classes modifier.
Last edited by RollingGuyMaster on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:08 am

Hmm so if I have let's say a Tier lvl = 2, and a "Speester" car, then my Speed is .75x + 2 ? Or 2.75x ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 am

Basically what the stat is after applying the base percentage. So lets say a base speed is 100. When its a speedster its 75% so it will be 75. Then you apply the tier lvl modifier so it will be 75x1.25 (for tier 2) so it will be 93 ish. I wrote that up around 3 AM my time sorry for the goof's thats i made. There will be a huge gap around 3 or 4. I was thinking a manufacturer and customization modifiers could close the gap. but not so much thast one can have an amazing car that was a tank with super grip of a speedster for example.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Seems way to complicated to me. What's the point of putting so much effort into designing inferior vehicles that nobody will ever use again past being a beginner to the game? (E.G Any Tier 1 models).

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:52 pm

Tazeram wrote:Seems way to complicated to me. What's the point of putting so much effort into designing inferior vehicles that nobody will ever use again past being a beginner to the game? (E.G Any Tier 1 models).

i dont think there will be any inferior car in terms of car models. Moving up a tier will use the same vehicles (or even more which are only available at higher tiers). Just think of a motor upgrades which happens under your skin. Same cars different speed and control.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 am

Hmmm, i suppose that makes sense.

I'd still personally prefer if the game just had easier AI to makes earlier tournament races easier for beginners, rather than slower cars to start with.

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Tazeram wrote:Hmmm, i suppose that makes sense.

I'd still personally prefer if the game just had easier AI to makes earlier tournament races easier for beginners, rather than slower cars to start with.

If it's the cars that are slower to start with, then you will have that "i wonder how tier x cars are gunna be like" rather than the A.I being dumbed down. I personally dislike any game that hinders its A.I. It also will make more sense to do it with the cars because we don't want another Genesis. But i do get where you're coming from. Also from a coding standpoint these variables aren't what is complicated :)

Return to “Vehicles”