How fast, in terms of top speed, will GRIP cars go?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: How fast, in terms of top speed, will GRIP cars go?

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:17 am

700 km/h
I'm so hyped for this game I can't even, hopefully it will quench my thirst for massive speed and strength :twisted:
You're just a voice pal.

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:00 pm

So is 700kmph going to be the speed limit or will we push the boundaries of time and space further? :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 pm

700kmph is what it's at right now, but we may push it later on. Really comes down to testing

Of course, there could be some kind of code that unlocks double top speed or something
Game Director
GRIP

ApexAzimuth

Postby ApexAzimuth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 pm

I really hope Grip gets away from the upgrade arms race that plagued RC2. In a lot of ways RC2 got easier as the game progressed and it should be the opposite.

Making the car go faster should make it harder control, which makes a faster game a harder game. If you compensate the uncontrollability of higher speed by also giving away handling bonuses, then you've effectively just turned up the timescale in the game. That's what sucks about late-game RC2 and why I always fall back on RC1.

I don't think there should be speed classes and I hope vehicle upgrades are much more subtle.

Bottom line: Design the game around high-end gameplay and make that feel perfect, then scale it back. Use the endgame as the baseline and don't push it past that.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 am

ApexAzimuth wrote:I really hope Grip gets away from the upgrade arms race that plagued RC2. In a lot of ways RC2 got easier as the game progressed and it should be the opposite.

Wouldn't worry about that. There isn't going to be vehicle speed classes from what I can tell. There is going to be engine power levels. (Think of the speed classes like in mario kart)
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:03 am

I'm combat ready!

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm combat ready!

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby SuperLucas335 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:30 am

It would be cool if there was a system to Mario Kart 7 & 8 where you get to mix-and-match wheels, frames and gliders. This way, you can create a truly personal ride. In GRIP, however, the choices would be:

Tyre - can modify the speed, grip and acceleration.

Rim - mainly aesthetic, but can modify the size of the wheel. A larger wheel would mean slower acceleration, a faster top speed and a heavier car. Also, it would be cool to be able to put spikes on the wheel (+weight, -acceleration) so you can ram into anybody who tries to overtake you (or vice versa)

Frame - Changes the size of the whole beast, greatly modifies weight and armour. Can also be painted

Armour - A modifier that does exactly what it says. Armour is optional, and adds weight to the car. Can be painted

Engine - Greatly modifies the speed and acceleration of the car. A faster engine would also be heavier. Not all engines fit on all frames. Also changes the look of the exhaust nozzle on the back (or side) of the car (actually looks more like a rocket booster) Would be cool if you can change the colour of the fire that comes out. May also modify how well it uses Firestorm (boost power-up)

Weapons - Change the power of your weapons and gives them different attributes (like faster lock on for scorpions). This means that the pickups only give you ammo - which makes more sense to me

This way, you can create a truly personal beast.

In response to the topic question, the top speed of the fastest car would be 800 kph. Or 1000 with Firestorm. HOWEVER, the person's car would have to be very light, opting out of armour and having a decent weapons system. It would be easily blown to bits by Scorpions - not a car you would want to have. If you are thinking about time trials, then remember the car would barely have any grip, so it would fly off the track when it gets to a small hill.

I'd say the average top speed for a balanced car would be 700 (800 with Firestorm). The heaviest car should have a top speed of 500 (700 with Firestorm [your engine would be able to use it quite well as it has room for the tech])
What do you think?\

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot to mention that the cars should have an exponentially decreasing acceleration (with a max acceleration cap when starting from 0). This means that the faster cars go, the slower they accelerate. So while the top speed of an average car may be 700, by the time they get to 650 they will be accelerating only slightly
Last edited by SuperLucas335 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Sounds great, although I think 1000 kph is a bit overkill :p i hope some of the mods see this though, see what they think about it.
I'm combat ready!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:37 pm

UE4 would throw in the towel... before our mighty devs ;)

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby SuperLucas335 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:17 am

Zyvoxid wrote:Sounds great, although I think 1000 kph is a bit overkill :p i hope some of the mods see this though, see what they think about it.

Yeah maybe its too much. how about 700 for the lightest cars and 800 with Firestorm?

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 am

SuperLucas335 wrote:
Zyvoxid wrote:Sounds great, although I think 1000 kph is a bit overkill :p i hope some of the mods see this though, see what they think about it.

Yeah maybe its too much. how about 700 for the lightest cars and 800 with Firestorm?

I achieved 785 with firestorm in the current build, so maybe like 900 max with firestorm going downhill or something. UE4 started doing weird things when I went over 700 :l But it's up to the devs though!! :mrgreen:
I'm combat ready!

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:49 pm

https://imgur.com/qWgU2qm

I GOT OVER 800 WOOT
I'm combat ready!

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:54 am

#RoadTo1K
I'm combat ready!

Spisepinden

Postby Spisepinden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 am

Double-boosting in Rollcage could get you to 1200 km/h if I remember correctly. 400 km/h was around top speed for the average car, with a few cars reaching a little beyond that.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Spisepinden wrote:Double-boosting in Rollcage could get you to 1200 km/h if I remember correctly. 400 km/h was around top speed for the average car, with a few cars reaching a little beyond that.

Na, not that high. More like 800 km/h iirc. But it was insanely fast nevertheless
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm combat ready!

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:33 pm

I actually managed to break 900 km/h with the new boost pads.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Vehicles”