Suggest your car design

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Tazeram

Re: Suggest your car design

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:53 am

Flipside666 wrote:by that logic a futuristic concept combat racer being held across the universe with cars that can flip and carry on going is all a bit 'silly''.

Yeah, its not about what is realistic, its about what fits with the style and nostalgia of the Rollcage games we grew up on. Many people on here are understandably hesitant for any dramatic changes from the Rollcage games, me included. It wouldn't feel like Rollcage having cars with tank tracks.

Don't be disheartened by the feedback. It's just us Rollcage fans being Rollcage fans! ;)

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks Tazeram, I understand that, it's all good :) trust me I get the nostalgia, I was going through a tough time mentally in my life when I discovered these back in the ps1 days and they helped me forget a lot of bad stuff :) , to be honest I just want it to hit it's goal and make it to my ps4 that's why I backed it :)

Wanderer
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Wanderer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

I do like the idea, reminds me of this one from Rock & Roll racing.
The tracks would need to be larger than the car in order to allow flipping over.

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:43 am

Yeah nice! I was more thinking 4 wheels still but a tracks type system even if it's just the back wheels so the fronts stay the same for steering.
Anyway, just a thought. :)

I understand a full set of tank tracks like that wouldn't quite fit the game :)

Ps rock and roll racing..... Awesome game :)

Broscar edit: Edit button > double/triple posting.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 pm

@Flipside666: Tsk tsk tsk... Learn how to use the edit button, son. :roll:
sus

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:24 pm

What's up with the trashing of the idea of having cars with tank treads?
I'd be hella awesome, guys :D

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:30 am

Broscar wrote:What's up with the trashing of the idea of having cars with tank treads?
I'd be hella awesome, guys :D

Eh, I guess it could work with heavier car types. Not sure, though.
sus

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 am

tank treads would have propably fit lenny the cheese on wheels in the original

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 am

First off I apologise for my terrible drawing, art is not my strong point at all and I'm sure a lot of you could do a thousand times better but this is kinda what I meant.
Attachments
IMAG1242.jpg
IMAG1242.jpg (758.49 KiB) Viewed 9359 times

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Hey! Don't apologize, i like that design! That would be cool to see :D
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Hey! Don't apologize, i like that design! That would be cool to see :D

Thanks dude :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Yrch wrote:moving parts sounds awesome!
Stuff like flaps at around the engine exhaust that open up when throtteling, flaps that open up when breaking (just like knightrider :> ) or rotating fans inside air inductions could really give each vehicle more character.

another little touch that i personaly love er small animations at the start of the race.
like in the old wipeout games where vehicles came up on lifts from under the track or in F-Zero where the vehicles start on ground and the player has to "fire up" the engine to make them go into hover mode.

Yeah I love little details like this. Once you notice them, it makes the experience so much better, IMO.

Tazeram wrote:Perhaps the car in the trailer is the "Tank" class with higher strength and grip, but lower acceleration and speed and the Vostok Scorpion is the "Speedster" class, with lower strength and grip, but higher speed and acceleration.

The current car is no doubt one below tank. We'd like to see tank be really beefy, big machines that could be practically unstoppable unless the other racers really try to take it down. Just a thought, but having quite a different class like that may add a nice dynamic.

Tom wrote:Does anyone know how the "make your own car" thing will work?

I do 3D for a living and I think it would be INSANE to make our own cars! Obviously we would have to work to a polygon count, and certain parameters, but this would be an INCREDIBLE addition to the game...

If a Mod could shed some light on this i would be greatly appreciating it ;-) Also is there any chance we could get a base model to download and build off of?

We haven't thought too much about the system since development of it would take place a long time from now, but it would work similar to how our cars work.
We could definitely provide a base rig to build off of, expecially for the bone setup.

Flipside666 wrote:How about a manufacturer having tank tracks or 6 wheeler with tracks on the back 4 wheels leaving the front two for steering?

Like I said on Kickstarter, this is a pretty cool idea. Either that or more hollow tires (similar to on of Joe's concept car works on the KS page)
Realism aside, I think it could be done in a cool and futuristic manner that would fit with the game's lore.

Tazeram wrote:Yeah, its not about what is realistic, its about what fits with the style and nostalgia of the Rollcage games we grew up on. Many people on here are understandably hesitant for any dramatic changes from the Rollcage games, me included. It wouldn't feel like Rollcage having cars with tank tracks.

Yeah, but this aint Rollcage ;)

Let the abstract ideas flow if you ask me. As long as they don't mess with the core gameplay that we all love.

I dig the tank tracks. I think Joe (concept artist) would have a lot of fun with them as well
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:50 am

I like the concept of the tank tracks but wouldn't they be a real PITA to model, especially for if the modding tools tier gets reached?

I'm a purist so I personally say they should stick to the standard of four wheels. :p

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:23 am

Flipside666 wrote:First off I apologise for my terrible drawing, art is not my strong point at all and I'm sure a lot of you could do a thousand times better but this is kinda what I meant.

Even tho i was against it im going to be open minded.... A 3d model i made got corrupted after i ate. I came back to windows update :(
(I will try to make this again)

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am

Ah dude that sucks! Never nice when windows does that!
Cool though, I look forward to it :D

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Tom wrote:Does anyone know how the "make your own car" thing will work?

I do 3D for a living and I think it would be INSANE to make our own cars! Obviously we would have to work to a polygon count, and certain parameters, but this would be an INCREDIBLE addition to the game...

If a Mod could shed some light on this i would be greatly appreciating it ;-) Also is there any chance we could get a base model to download and build off of?

We haven't thought too much about the system since development of it would take place a long time from now, but it would work similar to how our cars work.
We could definitely provide a base rig to build off of, especially for the bone setup.

I neeeeeeeds a model NOW :lol: I am seriously loving the work you guys are doing! keep it up! Make this game! Its going to be INSANE!!! :D

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:42 am

The more tank like design would be awesome if it was only for the heaviest car in the game.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:32 am

Mystical wrote:Image

Not really for GRIP, but a car design I came up that would work in GRIP.

This design is absolutely sweet! ...like jet from rcage 1 with a different profile either side. Nice!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Tom wrote:I neeeeeeeds a model NOW :lol: I am seriously loving the work you guys are doing! keep it up! Make this game! Its going to be INSANE!!! :D

Thanks ;D

Jello_Snake wrote:The more tank like design would be awesome if it was only for the heaviest car in the game.

yep, the "tank" class of vehicle will be, well, pretty much a tank

This all comes down to testing of course. We'll probably use just a couple car models then change their size, colour and attributes to represent each class of vehicle then race them to death to see what works.
Game Director
GRIP

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 am

While I am a purist for the Rollcage designs. I don't think that having one vehicle with a tank tracks like the one Flipside posted is a bad idea. It does improve on variety and would be suitable for the Tank class as Chris has said.

I'm hoping we will be able to see designs like in the cover art of RCS2. I also really dig the Formula One slick tires in some of the art they give the impression of a quick road-hugging racer. The speedster class of cars could maybe focus more on aerodynamics and high-speed tyres (Like the 2007 F1 season) and take some inspiration from jet fighters. Imagine a car that took inspiration from a F-22 Raptor or an F-117 Nighthawk OR the rumored Aurora Spy Plane :D :D :D.

Return to “Vehicles”