Air control with cars?

Talk about Grip's metal beasts
Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: Air control with cars?

Postby Jello_Snake » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:21 am

Saying you should be able to use it is fine. Saying "the game should be watered down for keyboard" is not fine. That's literally no different than people saying starcraft should be simplified for gamepad users. it's not a valid argument. This is a hardcore game, it's not mario kart. "it's needs to be easy for my sake" is not a valid argument. There are other games for that. Even with pitch control you could still use a keyboard, you just wouldn't be as good with it. Even without pitch control, you STILL wouldn't be as good with a keyboard. That's a terrible argument. "make this shooter like doom where you just magically shoot anybody on the screen, that way I can use my sega genesis controller." No.

You can use a keyboard and mouse to play devil may cry 4, but they didn't water down the game at all to make it an actual viable option. You're perfectly free to do it, if you're a sadist. And sure enough, some people have. But they still didn't simplify the game for it.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:40 am

Jello_Snake wrote:Saying you should be able to use it is fine. Saying "the game should be watered down for keyboard" is not fine. That's literally no different than people saying starcraft should be simplified for gamepad users. it's not a valid argument. This is a hardcore game, it's not mario kart. "it's needs to be easy for my sake" is not a valid argument. There are other games for that. Even with pitch control you could still use a keyboard, you just wouldn't be as good with it. Even without pitch control, you STILL wouldn't be as good with a keyboard. That's a terrible argument. "make this shooter like doom where you just magically shoot anybody on the screen, that way I can use my sega genesis controller." No.

You can use a keyboard and mouse to play devil may cry 4, but they didn't water down the game at all to make it an actual viable option. You're perfectly free to do it, if you're a sadist. And sure enough, some people have. But they still didn't simplify the game for it.

If it's possible to use air controls with the keyboard, then yes. If it's not possible, then no.

It's not about making sure keyboard and gamepad players have the same chances. As soon as you introduce analog controls, you advantage the gamepad users anyway. It's about making sure the keyboard players can actually play.

I want to play GRIP on PC with a keyboard. That's it. I'm not asking to "water down GRIP for keyboard" ; I'm just asking to have a gameplay that is suitable for keyboard players.

AFAIK having a gameplay suitable for keyboard players does not imply to have a watered down gameplay.

Just take Rollcage as an example. The gameplay is suited for keyboard players, and yet the gameplay is far from being watered down.

Or maybe you should give a more exact definition of what you mean by "watered down". Because that's pretty much vague.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 am

If pitch were a thing im sure 8462 would be a good macro (8 is up 2 is down 6 is right 4 is left). No numpad? arrow keys. Unless im missing something here...

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 pm

RollingGuyMaster wrote:If pitch were a thing im sure 8462 would be a good macro (8 is up 2 is down 6 is right 4 is left). No numpad? arrow keys. Unless im missing something here...

Yeah, but then you need a third hand. One hand to be ready to fire your weapons, one hand to drive, and one hand to pitch.

But maybe you could do something like : the commands use to drive become the commands used to pitch while you're in air. I've mapped the controls this way in Rocket League and it works pretty well (since the air control keys don't work when you're not in the air).
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

codemonkey
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby codemonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:24 am

Anyone who plays Rollcage, or GRIP, with a keyboard is deliberately handicapping themselves (sorry). Rollcage and GRIP both have high speeds, high velocities, that unavoidably require a good level of control. The binary nature of a keyboard simply doesn't provide this, and using an analog controller will always work better.

So, while we will of course support keyboards for GRIP, be aware, that player demands for high speed, will make it difficult to play by comparison. If you're serious about gaming, you'll get a controller.

With regard to air time, and getting your jumps done right, I think Broscar nailed that pretty well - landing won't be your problem most of the time - but smacking into a side-wall will be. Air time will help little in these cases.

I did mention driving aids in another thread however, we were could have automatic correction of the car in the air to assist in landing should you get past those pesky walls. Then it's up to you whether you want this additional assistance or not, or whether you want to go hard-core.
Rob
Technical Honcho
Caged Element

albertrich

Postby albertrich » Mon May 07, 2018 2:51 am

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Vehicles”