Reverse mode vs. Normal mode Difficulty Change

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Mobiusman1

Reverse mode vs. Normal mode Difficulty Change

Postby Mobiusman1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Have you guys noticed how the difficulty of a track seems to change when you play it in reverse? Like for instance;

My favorite map is Norvos but i enjoy racing on there even more when i do it in reverse. But i noticed that the difficulty of the track is easier compared to its normal direction when its backwards. Maybe its because im able to understand what works for the flow of the race better in one direction than the other, but i noticed the same thing on Jahtra too.

The daytime map (can't remember its name) is FAR easier if you do it backwards than forwards. I crashed less often, had more control of the direction i was going when i launched off a jump, and i even noticed the npc's performing better than normal when we did the track in reverse mode than it's forwards direction. {the npc's always have done bad on this track EVERY time i played on it. I know its track difficulty class is hard, but watching the other cars crash so bad or just get stuck in general was laughable but kinda sad at the same time}

This isnt neccessarily a good/bad thing, and maybe there isn't a correlation at all, however im curious if you guys have noticed anything similar. Or maybe you've seen something entirely different than me, let us know! I love seeing everyone's different experiences in this game :D

potterman28wxcv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Reverse mode vs. Normal mode Difficulty Change

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:46 am

Reverse tracks are completely different than normal ones. I think they are built with normal direction in mind - and then with a few fixes the devs make them drivable on reverse as well. It's hard to keep the same difficulty on both normal and reverse directions, because of asymmetric designs or stuff like that. So one of them is harder than the other one.

That's all good for me :-)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Yeah designing a track to work both ways isn't easy, and if I'm honest, reverse mode for one or two was an afterthought. I think they worked out ok though ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I think that is exactly the great thing about reverse tracks: there can be easy or hard parts and even feel funny sometimes - but it is kinda the point! Feels like you are doing a thing that isn't so carefully planned and you just work with what you got. Also making the tracks keeping in mind completely what will it be in reversed might result in, how to put it, more bland (more boring or simplistic) tracks.

Return to “Tracks”