Acro suggestions

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Acro suggestions

Postby Queadah » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Acrophobia's nice, I had a few ideas on it I thought I'd share:

Below, I think instead of the road blocker, perhaps the middle road could be like the tight duct shortcut in Yuri and allow for an inverted ride:

...which would exit here (ref. below) as I feel that bottom passage is under-utilized:

Also, I'd see an alternate path on the right (pic below) wall riding on rocks if possible (not a fan of too many ramps as they remove that feel of improvised track):

Finally, perhaps drifting inverted would cut it over there if a small platform area could remain passing the pillars. This way, racers would increase their odds at landing properly angled without being hold by the hand:

kingbeandip

Re: Acro suggestions

Postby kingbeandip » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:21 pm

I struggle to find any flaw with the track. It is brutally difficult, and I love it!

I should point out, though, that the track strongly disfavors the Tank class. Many of the obstacles are difficult to take at speed in a tank class car, and there are not enough long straights for them to catch up. I don't think any of this is necessarily a flaw, but it's something to consider.

And for the record, I actually disagree with Queadah's first, second, and fourth suggestions; I feel they would make the track too easy and diminish its character. The third one (wall riding on the rocks), I'd be okay with. It's a perfectly reasonable alternate route that would not provide any significant advantage, but might be helpful to the tank class, which can struggle to take the previous turn.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:20 pm

I perfectly hear disagreement :)

Concerning point #1, I was referring to that letter-box small shortcut from Yuri (which requires skill), I find it sad that it would be a one off and not exist on other maps too :(. At least I wasn't suggesting some huge and obvious path.

The lack of alternate pathing otherwise is what bugs me (true on Transport too, but I'll repost on the appropriate thread).

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:46 pm

kingbeandip wrote:I struggle to find any flaw with the track. It is brutally difficult, and I love it!

I should point out, though, that the track strongly disfavors the Tank class. Many of the obstacles are difficult to take at speed in a tank class car, and there are not enough long straights for them to catch up. I don't think any of this is necessarily a flaw, but it's something to consider.

emmmmmm The track doesn't disfavor any class. You just gotta learn it. After a while you'll get the hang of it and you'll be as fast as a rocket :D
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I like the idea of doing a really tight (ceiling) tunnel to jump down onto the lower section in the first couple images, I'm just concerned about creating sides that will stop you dead instead of funnel
Game Director
GRIP

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:41 am

1) I disagree with the proposed slit design, as it would diminish the difficulty of the track. I much prefer the existing split.
2) If you think the bottom-passage is under-utilized, try it. It leads to two extra pickups, so I take it all the time.
3) An alternate path for an incredibly short piece of the track, with zero added benefit as the default one is as fast as can be?
4) The current setup where you have to reduce your speed, but try not to lose too much speed or you'll be overtaken, with falling off as the ultimate punishment, makes for nice variation. How would an extended upper ceiling benefit it? Newbies would go fullspeed on it and catapult themselves, veterans would just go faster than on the existing path, diminishing the experience described in the first sentence.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 am

This is all valid.

1) Bear with me the duct shortcut in Yuri doesn't make for an easy road, though here in straight line it could indeed break difficulty.

2) That you'd have to let yourself fall to use the bottom path, depending on your speed, I'm willing to bet most of the time we barely reach in time the end of that path only to use it as a last second ramp.

3) The overall lack of alternate path bugs me: there's only one way to navigate the vast majority of paths.

4) I concede.

Skytrack and now Acro, though both interesting, give a trend: you're on rails!

I don't want to feel that too much, Acro could have better replayability value with more ways to ride it: on the tracks, but also below!

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 am

I've noted your lack of alternate paths and I've come up with a suggestion of my own.
Rollcage used to encourage exiting tunnels on the ceiling with pickups. GRIP does this in Yuri Industrial, but the mechanic can be utilized (a lot) more.

Placing a pickup or speedpad on Acrophobia at this position offers players some more variety and encourages driving the cars in a more extreme manner as opposed to taking the easy racing line.

acrotun.jpg
acrotun.jpg (305.02 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Volken

Postby Volken » Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 am

Yeah all of those suggestions are great, the thing that Acro needs also is more pickups! Perhaps adding more of those on ceilings like Broscar suggested would be a great way to deal with that problem

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Reading yet another comment on a Steam review, I couldn't shake it that there wasn't enough ceiling riding (the guy said it was only a "gimmick", which is a tad exaggerated perhaps).

Anyway, to account for more path, I really think we could have a split jump below:
  • middle of the road leads to current path (on the platform)
  • sides could lower and offer a jump to the underside of the platform
  • you'd drive underneath it (see 2nd tiny image)
  • and exit via the existing gap on the platform (see 3rd and last tiny image)
Minor tweaks, but yeah...

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Not sure about that underside driving Que. That's going to be very hard to do right, and not sure it could be competitive.

I've got some ideas for ceiling rides. I'll try them out for next patch.

I will add something to the ceiling out of that first tunnel too, Broscar
Game Director
GRIP

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 pm

The sidewall shortcut is rather hard to access with that ramp too, and with next to none reward. Maybe connect it to the underside of the platform, and have it return to the main road from there?

Return to “Tracks”