Thermophobia feedback

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Thermophobia feedback

Postby Queadah » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm dropping the biggest one in my eyes:
  • "cave" areas that have NO ceiling rides are too bad a missed opportunity imo (true for FIC's cave too)

I can imagine carving the rocks is tedious but
this is GRIP's/RC's signature move we're talking about.

playabot

Re: Thermophobia feedback

Postby playabot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 pm

The big wall ride on the alternate path is one of my favourite parts in the whole game, I've been waiting for something like this. Islands wall ride just wasn’t quite epic enough to check that box :)

I get what you’re saying Quead, for me, if anything the level feels a bit 'platformy' and not really grounded in place (RC1's tracks were very grounded and RC2 less so - no doubt this is to do with dev resources) but honestly if reusing and redressing assets means more tracks, I'm pretty ok with that.

I also feel like there is some wipeout creeping into my grip – particularly on the more narrow tracks. Or at least something feels off that I can’t quite put my finger on. I would ask to see (and this is with regard to all tracks not just Thermo);
- More natural changes in elevation. Daytona in RC1 is a great example of what I mean. One of the best tracks in any RC game. I love the way that you need to control momentum through the peaks and troughs of the track and the way that the physics play with that final big jump before the finish line. It’s poetry.
- Wider sections and points of interest that require some cleaver negotiating. I forget the name of the track but it’s in RC1, set on Harpoon, there’s a ship loading dock with a crane and sea containers that can be destroyed. Sections of eruption and contact on outworld are also great examples.
- And I have to agree with you man, more epic ceiling rides on tracks grounded in place that don’t feel so much like a roller coaster/wipeout style tracks.

But as we are reminded, WIP! And the work is good :)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 pm

@playabot: That's smugglers, aka one of the best tracks in Rollcage (if you can master it. Else it's a nightmare :p).

After going knee-deep into Thermo, I have to agree with you Queadah. Tracks will get tweaked either way, I mean Acro got a new alternate path a few months after it was delivered, but it's good to call out potential improvements anyway. A ceiling ride in that section could be a very dramatic visual element and depending on how it's laid out a gameplay improvement to offset the relatively bare road at the ground level.

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:30 pm

@Broscar Smugglers it is :)

I've been revisiting Rollcage recently actually (on my PS2 and 4k 55 incher - still looks amazing) - the game can still kick my ass but there is some kind of magic there...

It's hard to describe. Something about the way it straddles the line between control and being out of control.

Everything since has maybe fallen more on the side of control: RC2's vehicles sticking to the track like glue, firebugs being even more tame and by the numbers...

Could GRIP benefit from a loosening of control? Take these bad boys off the rails and give them some room to move!!

XT3

Postby XT3 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm

You know I do like it a lot but I feel like there could be a branching path in the lava zone. Mostly a branching path or having the Acrophobia sections be more noticeable.

But first I think there could be a high speed and risk split. More speed but the track could be block or distoryed
It'd go into a tunnel and then come out:

Costa

Postby Costa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:44 pm

i personally dont like how is managesd the double roads that leads into the tunnel. Its a bit messy, i think a single road more wide could be better, that take maybe a longer path and all the necessary space in order to get into the tunnel. So far its not a good design

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 am

@playabot: That's the 'natural drifting' Wrob3l mentions a lot and it's also the reason why almost everyone prefers Rollcage 1 over Rollcage 2. The way you describe it matches the feeling perfectly; you're always in control, but barely.
One moment you're understeering, the next you're oversteering and drifting around corners (actually drifting, none of that automatic press the handbrake once to initiate 'drifting-mode' trash).

Loosening control is not the way I'd describe it though. More like give more control over the cars in GRIP.

@Queadah: An attempt has been made at incorporating ceiling rides into Thermophobia, but it didn't flow right. To be blunt the entire cave would have to be redesigned.
This isn't the last lava track though.

@XT3: Destroyable roads à la Split/Second isn't a design goal for GRIP and personally I don't see a benefit in branching there.

@Costa: I really like that bit :/ How is it messy?

XT3

Postby XT3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am

@Broscar: That makes sense. I am mostly throwing out ideas. Hopefully to spark other good ideas.

Return to “Tracks”