Haze Track Suggestions

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Prykie1995

Haze Track Suggestions

Postby Prykie1995 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 pm

The new track Haze is shaping up fantastically well. It features some nice elements of everything the community has suggested, and some. The actual track layout and the flow seem to be very very good. I only have a couple of minor gripes however.

Perhaps it's a bit of a cliche for racing games with city circuits, but I really would love to see this city track a lot darker, perhaps putting more emphasis and reliance on the lights of the cars to light the circuit. At the moment it feels a little bright for me and that sort of puts a dampener on the atmosphere a little. If there were a way of adding rain to the circuit with a slight sheen to the roads, spotlights along parts of the track (and crucially not in others) and a glistening effect to the cars, I think it would look fantastic. The cars are usually so dirty and beaten up on offroad tracks it'd be nice to see them really shine in a "sterile" on-road environment.

Something else which flagged in my mind a touch was a slight lack of a focal point, or something that sticks out on the circuit. The track itself is well laid out and flows so well, but I feel it needs a focal point or two, a large glowing structure, statue or building in main view at the end of a straight or something big and imposing arching over the road to really draw the eye, or even a load of scrolling banners strewn across the circuit with manufacturer advertisements on them. Something with colours that juxtapose the rest of the track would really do the job. Perhaps this is in the works, it's just something I picked up on.

I have been hoping for a proper inner city track ever since I bought the game. Awesome job guys, you're amazing :)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Haze Track Suggestions

Postby Queadah » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 am

+999 for darker (not necessarily the sky but at least the grey of the buildings), rain (+sound!), glistering cars effect and sheen on road !
Last edited by Queadah on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

playabot

Postby playabot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:21 am

Haha my only gripe would be that I can't tell ground from sky sometimes but I know this is all going to change as the track is refined. Great addition!

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Good ideas ! With rain there could be places where water rises a bit so that we get a "beach effect" while driving through it.

A look that mixes elements from Blade runner (Dystopian look) and Ghost in the Shell (lots of Neon lights maybe even animated holographic ones) would be pretty cool.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 am

^ What Django said !

twisted

Postby twisted » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I know they have to cater to a wider audience but this track is too easy for my taste, it's not challenging and it doesn't make good use of the new gameplay mechanics enough. We need more tracks like Acrophobia where skill is required.

I want forced jumps on main routes and even between vertical ones, inversed platform that require a jump to gain access to an alternate route or shortcut, spirals and loops like in the vertigo track in Redout (and I forgot what the other one is called), more of that please. ;)

We definitely need more tracks that makes good use of all the mechanics we have in-game, this would really make the game even more fun gameplay-wise. Variety is life. I think both the switchable side of vehicles and the jump feature are the strong point of this game including the satisfying speedpads.

What I like from the Orbital Prime map is the environnment assets but I think some textures needs to be refined a little like the tunnel (I hope those are heavy placeholders) and the track needs more neon lights. I would have loved too a more Blade Runneresque-Ghost in the Shell-2012 Total Recall look for Orbital Prime. Oh and rain! :mrgreen:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 am

Orbital Prime is full of placeholder visuals guys. Not even close to finished

And don't worry, the next track "Sprawl" is going to be crazy
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Suggestin' time:

There is something I currently feel is missing in GRIP that could improve the sense of scale for all maps involving oblivion plunges (true in Haze but also Acro and Skytrack). Has my little .gif emulates:
  • set a triggering floor (higher than the resetting floor) at which :
  • car model SHRINKS ! (faking car falling in the distance)
  • cam stops following car and dezooms SLIGHTLY
Some might say dezooming would be enough, however, hear me out:
  • dezooming might reveal scenery boundaries/limits
  • shrinking model has the elegant advantage that it artificially increases distance between car and closest colliding object (e.g. car in Haze would hit the fake ground gif way before looking small enough)
  • This way the "ground" doesn't need to EFFECTIVELY be FAR from the track
  • It can be closer to track's 3D assets (thus smaller in size = maps loading faster) YET you create the illusion of huuuuuge distance (Skytrack could *gasp* emulate happening in the sky ;) )
  • in combination with speed vector scaling (decrease car speed vectors along with its size when falling) you could tweak this to perfection
There you have it. Don't forget to damp car sound to simulate its going away ;) Rest of things needs not be touched (respawn mechanism).

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeah but no one's going to wait long enough to watch this happen Que. They'll just reset. And we shouldn't restrict that
Game Director
GRIP

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 am

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah but no one's going to wait long enough to watch this happen Que. They'll just reset. And we shouldn't restrict that

Not after we have seen it a couple of times but it could still be a very nice detail. Doesnt need to be restricting.

playabot

Postby playabot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 am

May hide some of those awkward physics interactions with unfinished/unpolished out of site geometry if you just hold the camera back and watch the vehicle fly off.

Return to “Tracks”