So... is there a connection between planets?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: So... is there a connection between planets?

Postby Queadah » Sun May 07, 2017 3:31 am

lol you dismissed my point entirely of tracks reachable through other tracks of the same planet, but thanks for nothing :P

edit: aaaaaand this current post is now pushed to another page so my previous points are even more buried. Great ahaha

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 am

'Cause I didn't have a huge logical problem with that one. :P
As long as its feasible in dev time and effort I'm all for it.
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun May 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I greatly dislike the "connected world" idea. In a racing game I want to select my track and get going in 10 seconds or less, not ride around an empty/boring map for 30 seconds (or more) just to reach the race location.

But opinions aside, we both know this idea will not be incorporated in the game.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Broscar wrote:I greatly dislike the "connected world" idea. In a racing game I want to select my track and get going in 10 seconds or less, not ride around an empty/boring map for 30 seconds (or more) just to reach the race location.

But opinions aside, we both know this idea will not be incorporated in the game.

From a track to another without the "pick a track" screen.
I expressed myself badly, most probably.

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 am

The planets in the sky are so big because GRIP universe is just a simulation. The civilization that plays with the cars already transcended the tangible universe. Damn, I knew something was wrong with this game...

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 am

Queadah wrote:I'm bumping this thread as I think it deserves a shot.
To ground the idea even more, I think it should be possible from a track, to reach (a loading screen to) another track of the same planet:
  • hint at the environment of other tracks in the distance
    (like Orbital Prime city already hinted in Skytrack or Islands in the distance on Transport)
  • allow a narrow/hidden/non-obvious path on the map
    (like a row of large sewer pipes that would dump wastes in Skytrack, which would lead to the city)
  • make it possible for a rig to ride it
  • once the player is far enough in it, load screen hits with a screenshot of the new track
The interest is that you can "quick race" without pulling out of the immersion and have a connected world instead of a patchwork of maps here and there that you choose from a screen.

Hell, make it so:
  • a rig carrier awaits on 1 track of a planet (e.g. in a Liddo 5 jungle)
  • let the player drive from track to track to reach that carrier and chose another planet + drop cinematic/drop track sequence?
Thus you enable some world exploration (scraps to collect for parts crafting along with rig wrecks?) while keeping the structure of independent tracks

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland pulled something similar off quite nicely, and that was on the PS2. All the different areas were connected by fully skate-able (Or BMX-able) paths... and I don't know how they did it but a lot of the time going from one area to the next was literally seamless (As in no loading screen).
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm

I personally LOVE the idea of being able to see the other planets in this system in the skies of the other planets.... Screw realism, let's just make them all moons around one big gas giant in a singular solar system. That way they can be close enough to see them all like this. The only difference is that these are alien planets/moons and the cultures there don't call them moons... that's why we weren't told that. DO IT!

MicrowaveYourHamster

Postby MicrowaveYourHamster » Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am

Or we could go one step farther and a binary (or more, if the realism is screwed) planet system could be considered. This would present some awesome landscapes. If anyone had the time to look at the sky while dodging rockets and driving on walls, that is... :lol:

shinelucid

Postby shinelucid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:05 pm

but which one is the planet and which is the moon?

Return to “Tracks”