Signs

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Signs

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Should signs be in grip like the ones in RC1&2? If so, what should be on them?
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Tazeram

Re: Signs

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:35 pm

I think signs were a classic feature of Rollcage, and was integral to the futuristic feel it brought to the world, and certainly inspired me as a kid thinking about futuristic elements. I remember thinking why this couldn't be possible, and then realising it would cost tonnes of energy, which would be unfeasible unless we master Renewable Energy such as Solar / Nuclear Fusion first.

Anyhow, i went off on a tangent, i think signs were always very useful for either shooting them down to get a boost, or shooting them down to slow down or knock away the other player, depending on how you timed it right. To not see signs in most, if not all tracks, would be a shame!

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:43 pm

I feel like it gives it a certain degree of atmosphere. Like in stage 2, there was an abundance of signs. I almost felt like the races were broadcasted like any other racing league.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 am

Depending on feasibility, we could use those signs to display some info on the race or some kind of global group-announcement, like, "hey, the official Grip tournament is starting in 2 days! Get your wheels hot and ready!" or "A new version of Grip has been released, be sure to hit the download page!" or maybe context-aware information for each player like "You're first, keep it togheter!" or "Hurry up man! You're about to get doubled!"
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:54 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Depending on feasibility, we could use those signs to display some info on the race or some kind of global group-announcement, like, "hey, the official Grip tournament is starting in 2 days! Get your wheels hot and ready!" or "A new version of Grip has been released, be sure to hit the download page!" or maybe context-aware information for each player like "You're first, keep it togheter!" or "Hurry up man! You're about to get doubled!"

I like it ! There could be general announcement signs, as well as signs showing the positions of each player or stuff.. (of course it would also be in the HUD, but it would add some kind of realism maybe)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:37 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Depending on feasibility, we could use those signs to display some info on the race or some kind of global group-announcement, like, "hey, the official Grip tournament is starting in 2 days! Get your wheels hot and ready!" or "A new version of Grip has been released, be sure to hit the download page!" or maybe context-aware information for each player like "You're first, keep it togheter!" or "Hurry up man! You're about to get doubled!"

I like this idea a lot. It would be cool if the signs showed video from a fixed camera on the track or followed random players.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Oh and let's not forget about having them (or.. what will remain of them :D) flashing "FINAL LAP". I would love if you made this happen even if it's not the final lap!!
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Some signs will definitely be in the game. gotta bring those suckers down.

After all, there's a backer reward for the Kickstarter that gets your face on a destructible billboard

yellowquiet wrote:I like this idea a lot. It would be cool if the signs showed video from a fixed camera on the track or followed random players.

Prepare for 10 less fps ;)
Game Director
GRIP

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:28 am

Chris_CE wrote:
yellowquiet wrote:I like this idea a lot. It would be cool if the signs showed video from a fixed camera on the track or followed random players.

Prepare for 10 less fps ;)

Just imagine if you position two {camera + sign} face to face, like you would do with mirrors. Your PC won't handle the awesomeness :P
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:45 am

Love all those Ideas!
having the Sign showing of some random racer, racing stats or having some moving commercials for in-universe Corps. would really breath some life into the game.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:53 am

Looking at the environments, i'm presuming the signs would predominantly be in "Orbital Prime" then, right?

I can see how the absence of signs may be ideal for the other tracks to give a sense of you being away from civilisation in the desert planet, tundra planet and jungle planet. Although that said, i don't see the problem with having some signs in other environments. It worked for Offworld i suppose, right?

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:Just imagine if you position two {camera + sign} face to face, like you would do with mirrors. Your PC won't handle the awesomeness :P

Might as well try to divide by zero at that point.

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Yrch wrote:Love all those Ideas!
having the Sign showing of some random racer, racing stats or having some moving commercials for in-universe Corps. would really breath some life into the game.

I agree. Especially commercials in a more civilized / industrial would be amazing. Or perhaps, if they are racing on a planet with some kind of Big Brother-esque governing system, a lot of propaganda.

We're in the illegal racing business after all.
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Return to “Tracks”