Track Designer?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Track Designer?

Postby Sceptre » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:43 am

I was just curious where custom maps could fit into the future of the game? Would this be a possibility? I'm sure many people have a lot of ideas of their own for tracks.

SuperSomariDX

Re: Track Designer?

Postby SuperSomariDX » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:51 am

That honestly would be something I would love. Seeing maps made by friends, sharing and playing them together. Then uploading for others to enjoy. A very good idea in my opinion.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Would be awesome, for sure. BUT, not an easy thing to implement properly.
We'd have to create a track editor, and that is no easy task.

Obviously it's not ruled out, but don't get your hopes up.
Game Director
GRIP

Moo

Postby Moo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 pm

It doesn't have to be necessarily overly complicated. Trackmania had a set of pre-made track parts that you could snap together by clips. It was a bit limited, but you could get some really good results with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGSRBSJC5s

Maybe GRIP's track editor could use something more complex, but similar to this.
sus

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Moo wrote:It doesn't have to be necessarily overly complicated. Trackmania had a set of pre-made track parts that you could snap together by clips. It was a bit limited, but you could get some really good results with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGSRBSJC5s

Maybe GRIP's track editor could use something more complex, but similar to this.

Maybe it can be as simple as a TrackMania editor, but just for the players. This means they can fiddle around and make tracks TrackMania-esque, while the developers can still build their own complicated tracks without worrying about releasing their complicated construction tools to the public.

Of course, currently far stretch. But one can dream.
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Moo wrote:It doesn't have to be necessarily overly complicated. Trackmania had a set of pre-made track parts that you could snap together by clips. It was a bit limited, but you could get some really good results with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGSRBSJC5s

Even something like that might not be as simple as you think. Programming is hard, it takes a lot of time and ressource. And stuff like this ain't easy to program. I would understand if they choose not to do that.

But that would be for sure a nice addition to the game.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I fully agree with potty. You guys are greatly underestimating how much work goes into making a good track editor.

Sceptre
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sceptre » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 am

Chris_CE wrote:Would be awesome, for sure. BUT, not an easy thing to implement properly.
We'd have to create a track editor, and that is no easy task.

Obviously it's not ruled out, but don't get your hopes up.

Yeah I'm no expert on how an editor is made. I don't doubt it would take a lot of work to implement one. I was more curious if it was in the plans or not. It would be pretty sweet, though.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Personally, i think it would be too much of a hassle and investment should be made into the game itself.

As long as there are a large variety of tracks, with great graphics, immersion and environments, then the detail put into that by the official developers would achieve far more than some basic track editor and makes it unnecessary.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Maybe first design the game so that it is able to support more tracks
Then maybe later they can try and focus on making an editor so that it could be released later
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:44 pm

landvaarder wrote:Maybe first design the game so that it is able to support more tracks
Then maybe later they can try and focus on making an editor so that it could be released later

+1
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:16 am

Maybe use Unreal engine 4 editor instead of Implementing one in-game? just make a quick tutorial or something for newbies
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pika3323

Postby Pika3323 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:01 pm

At the moment, creating a proper track editor in-game (using fancy things like splines and all) is impossible, and it's just very complicated in general. Using a modified version of the ue4 editor would be much simpler to set up, and could even be used for other modding, like custom items, vehicles, etc.

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:27 am

All I can say is that who ever designs tracks for the base game to make them more like RC1 which, in comparison to RC 2, were more enaging and longer.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 am

Stage III wrote:All I can say is that who ever designs tracks for the base game to make them more like RC1 which, in comparison to RC 2, were more enaging and longer.

RC1 tracks longer? do not compare short rc2 tracks to rc1 tracks, its not fair. both of those games had nice tracks, each were different, shorter, longer, with or without short-cuts, death jumps etc. no matter what, I had a lot more joy playing rc2 tracks, but rc1 had nice outworld tracks

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:41 pm

0Blueaura wrote:
Stage III wrote:All I can say is that who ever designs tracks for the base game to make them more like RC1 which, in comparison to RC 2, were more enaging and longer.

RC1 tracks longer? do not compare short rc2 tracks to rc1 tracks, its not fair. both of those games had nice tracks, each were different, shorter, longer, with or without short-cuts, death jumps etc. no matter what, I had a lot more joy playing rc2 tracks, but rc1 had nice outworld tracks

This. We cannot really compare them, since the physics handling is so different.. If we could race them both in the same game (for example, race all the RC2 tracks in Rollcage 1), then we could compare them.

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:27 pm

but we unfortunately can't, damn copyrights. :(, unless some mods.. but I'm bad at coding..

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:

This. We cannot really compare them, since the physics handling is so different.. If we could race them both in the same game (for example, race all the RC2 tracks in Rollcage 1), then we could compare them.

RC1 tracks were much more open to me. RC2 did have some good tracks but some honestly felt like filler to me. I hope that these tracks take their main inspiration of creativity of the first and go out all the way.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:25 am

what do you mean exactly by saying filler? like, added just to have more tracks to play on? Leviathan tracks are great, each doesn't feel like a "filler" if that's what you meant. they can fit into "story" if there was one, same goes to outworld and its description (click "help" button on any outworld tracks, they got some little short stories)

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:38 am

0Blueaura wrote:what do you mean exactly by saying filler? like, added just to have more tracks to play on? Leviathan tracks are great, each doesn't feel like a "filler" if that's what you meant. they can fit into "story" if there was one, same goes to outworld and its description (click "help" button on any outworld tracks, they got some little short stories)

The problem was that the tracks in RC2 were mostly very simple and felt too similar to one another, they didn't really have much 'originality' if you took away the environment. Most of them were boring, simple loops with maybe a short (pointless) tunnel. Maybe only half of the tracks in the game were unique-enough in the sense that they had 'character', they had parts that other tracks didn't have (such as Archipelago's multiple routes and the Tesla coil on that one Skyway track) and were remotely challenging to drive.

There's such a phrase as this: quality over quantity. Rollcage 1 was this. Rollcage 2, in terms of track design, was not. The few tracks that were, were great, but Rollcage 1's tracks have always felt better-designed.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Return to “Tracks”