Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Moo

Environments

Postby Moo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:37 am

What kinds of scenery can we expect for the upcoming tracks? Maybe crazy stuff like Outworld, Leviathan, Skyway and so forth? 'Cause let's face it, Rollcage and Rollcage Stage II had some pretty cool ideas for environments.
sus

Dups

Re: Environments

Postby Dups » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Just one thing, more environments =/= better game (y'all know what I'm referencing here). I'd rather focus on creating the tracks first, later on the worlds or environments. Here comes my little experience with TrackMania track creation. Firstly you think of a general layout or vision, then sketch it in a random editor and the finally choose the car and environment.
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 am

dups: https://youtu.be/ssC77hapv0g?t=11s i still hate you :*
Skyway was amazing and stage 2 is really good game if you can comprehend it or not xD BUT IMO grip environments should be not as crazy as in stage 2 i can agree (ONLY THAT ONE TIME DUPS!) with dups that this game should be more like First installment BUTT it should still have something from stage 2 then it will be instaclassic. Just Sayian.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 am

Dups wrote:Just one thing, more environments =/= better game (y'all know what I'm referencing here). I'd rather focus on creating the tracks first, later on the worlds or environments. Here comes my little experience with TrackMania track creation. Firstly you think of a general layout or vision, then sketch it in a random editor and the finally choose the car and environment.

I do agree with that we should put tracks before eye-candy, but some variety in the scenery would be nice. This is inspired by Rollcage after all, so maybe we'll see something interesting.
sus

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 am

You can indeed start the desigining process by creating tracks, but you can also turn that process around.

For example, Harpoon tracks had urban environments (exploding lanterns, building that collapsed), while Outworld has none (or barely anything) from that world, but has rocks that slow the user down (I know palm trees achieve the same effect, but these rocks are bigger).

You can actually design environments with specific mechanics, then apply that to the track designing process.

Speaking about environments, I'd love to see some sort of a gritty urban environment, with darker colors. As if these urban areas are (partially) abandoned and now make a perfect racing track.
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:22 am

I'll tell you one thing: there won't be exploding friggn palm trees or lamp posts.

How I'm going to build is do a general layout and get the track design down first then start fleshing things out with the environment.
That's why I'm getting feedback on what designs you guys like most.

But I've already got a bunch of ideas for planets to race on, and we'd like them to look really exotic and different.
Game Director
GRIP

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:51 am

It's probably harder to build and might become a framerate nightmare but a track in the middle of the jungle would be awesome aswell. A track similar to Motorstorm Pacific Rift is what I'm thinking. http://gameplay.lv/wp-content/uploads/2 ... Rift-B.jpg

But with a futurisitc touch to it

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 am

I had this click in my head whilst I was trying to sleep last night. Taking this directly from my old 'RollcageX' test notes.

I had an idea for one environment where it was, basically, a sort-of sanctioned racing arena/stadium. Roller-coaster-esque sections of track rising and falling, loops, a sort of 'official' vibe to the area that was I guess half-inspired by Trackmania's Stadium arena in its scenery. Big buildings, grandstands (some of them you could drive on), blimps and hot-air balloons suspended in the air. Tons of fake advertisements along the walls of the circuits and cars and the obstacles were clearly fake obstacle-course looking things (big blocks of concrete arranged into poles or buildings or whatever). Think how Formula One or Wipeout would be, except for 300mph tanks that drive on ceilings. :)

I was just describing it because I was always amused of the idea that, since Rollcage and by proxy Grip are sort of illegal street-racing-type things, there would be a legal racing arena to counter it. There were two 'alternatives' to these stadium arenas that I'd envisioned;

1) The default, as described above.
2) 'abandoned' versions, used after the official events where the crowds have gone, it's night or early-morning, and they've sneaked into the tracks to race when they're not meant to. Maybe some of those Deus Ex Machina barriers that keep the crowds safe from the cars have been turned-off, maybe someone blew some holes in some walls for extra shortcuts... basically just an alternate version only instead of being used legally the tracks are commandeered ..... illegally. :P

Silly ideas anyway, but ideas are ideas right?

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:13 pm

On a side note, I remember that I liked the environments of Star Wars Episode I : Racer. Especially, there were some tracks where you had to race on sites being currently built ; there also were some races on bridges, races under water, or just in the desert.. I don't remember every track of Star Wars, but I remember that you had quite a lot of different worlds to race on, and it was amazing. Most of these tracks were not secured at all.

KazzyMac wrote:- A couple of good ideas about racing in some abandonned place -

I actually like it ! That would give some kind of "race everywhere, destroy everything" feeling.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Chris_CE wrote:I'll tell you one thing: there won't be exploding friggn palm trees or lamp posts.

:lol:

I always wondered what they put in those hi-tech lamp posts. They powered one heck of a punch! :P

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

We should have Cyberpunk`y city. Y`all know Dark,cloudy with cold colors and neons on buildings.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 pm

WROB3L wrote:We should have Cyberpunk`y city. Y`all know Dark,cloudy with cold colors and neons on buildings.

Basically, a more detailed Neoto, right?
sus

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Moo wrote:
WROB3L wrote:We should have Cyberpunk`y city. Y`all know Dark,cloudy with cold colors and neons on buildings.

MAAAAAAAAYBEEE :?

BUT BETTER! without those stupid wavy roads! :evil:
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:48 pm

WROB3L wrote:
Moo wrote:

MAAAAAAAAYBEEE :?

BUT BETTER! without those stupid wavy roads! :evil:

God, I feel you man. Cross Over is gonna be a sore for me this week.
sus

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 am

Oh, screw you Broscar. :mrgreen:
sus

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Moo wrote:

Oh, screw you Broscar. :mrgreen:

I myself totally agree with broscar
You just need to "GIT GUD" ;)
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

LustVanGoth
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby LustVanGoth » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:02 pm

To be honest i think superbowl will be great :) i know it will be too easy no most of you will not race it but i would like to have it because its not so complicated to make and its fun for me :)
Mówił trochę w każdym europejskim języku, i w każdym języku najchętniej milczał.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:10 pm

LustVanGoth wrote:To be honest i think superbowl will be great :) i know it will be too easy no most of you will not race it but i would like to have it because its not so complicated to make and its fun for me :)

It could always be considered for one of the Arena mode tracks, where you score points by damaging the other player. It's ideal for that kinda gameplay.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Something like Firefox!
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Return to “Tracks”