Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Moo

Re: Environments

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:43 am

landvaarder wrote:
Moo wrote:

Oh, screw you Broscar. :mrgreen:

I myself totally agree with broscar
You just need to "GIT GUD" ;)

i cri everytim ;_;
sus

Starlight 456

Postby Starlight 456 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Personally I'm hoping for a lot of environments similar to Rollcage returning, specifically Outworld and Sapphire Springs, but also some new places. I do really like the idea the other guy had of some "official" tracks, that have some different versions where the racers snuck in and tear stuff up like usual.

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Remember this track, and the thing that really pissed me off is that I just couldn't ride the thin ceiling strip from one tunnel to the other))

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 pm

My idea:
I feel like it would be great to have a track placed on a really small planet - so small that you're actually noticing making laps around of it. Just imagine effect of speed when you're not sure if you're going to be launched out of atmosphere if you shot the turbo. :D But, of course, that would never happen because of high gravity of that planet. :ugeek:

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm

id like to go out to space again on the large asteroids that were inhabited by mining companies that work there
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 pm

How about a track that is shaped like Tsukuba circuit? With wider banks and turns ofc, to make it not look totally like it. Heres what it looks like

Hell you could do something like making the sharp turns sudden banks. Makes me wonder how a chicane could ever work in this game :?:

This is the monstrosity i came up with
Attachments
bleh.png
bleh.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 7014 times

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 pm

The issue i have with this, is that considering the very nature of Rollcage racing, tracks should be very open and unofficial in nature, rather than laid out racing tracks.

Another thing is that i dislike the idea of obvious shortcuts. Nobody would take the long route. I'd much prefer many various routes and diversions through out the track.

I think track designing for GRIP is a little more complex, as you're building around an environment, rather than having a simple closed circuit.

Not sure how you plan that out... :P

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Whiplash wrote:My idea:
I feel like it would be great to have a track placed on a really small planet - so small that you're actually noticing making laps around of it. Just imagine effect of speed when you're not sure if you're going to be launched out of atmosphere if you shot the turbo. :D But, of course, that would never happen because of high gravity of that planet. :ugeek:

I like this idea. I hate to point out though, that if the planet is smaller it has less gravity, not more. Think of games with moon gravity and Jupiter gravity cheats.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 am

When I first envisioned a track for Grip, I immediately though of a big stretch of canyon where you'd have cars weaving in and out of rock formations, some up on a higher ledge, looking down at the rest of the pack as their dust trails kicked up in the distance.
And I thought of tunnels with pillars and ultra speed, some cars smashing into the middle and sending debris everywhere

So, needless to say, I like open vistas, but I also like the adrenaline you get when racing through a tight area.

So a marriage of the two is what you'll see.

As for themes, I've got about 6 laid out on paper already, with planet names and setting descriptions. All of them are vastly differnent, and one is in space.
Game Director
GRIP

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:10 am

Chris_CE wrote:looking down at the rest of the pack as their dust trails kicked up in the distance

Really cool since we don't have anymore limitations (hardware aside) about far clipping in order to preserve performance. It's gonna be cool. Also because you will probably have a good possibility to use this to your advantage in case you are playing some non-standard racing game mode (eg, mouse and cat, where seeing clearly others on the track will help greatly.

Oh and perhaps you can use this to cross-fire weapons across track parts that get near!
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Azurex
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Azurex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:22 am

I would love to see industrial-inspired track environments. Factories, foundries, industrial zones, etc.

Call me retro, but I really did enjoy a lot of mid to late 90s sci-fi having such an emphasis on industrial.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:24 am

Azurex wrote:I would love to see industrial-inspired track environments. Factories, foundries, industrial zones, etc.

Call me retro, but I really did enjoy a lot of mid to late 90s sci-fi having such an emphasis on industrial.

Like Motorhead?

That was a good game.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:45 am

harrisonosirrah wrote:

I like this idea. I hate to point out though, that if the planet is smaller it has less gravity, not more. Think of games with moon gravity and Jupiter gravity cheats.

Nah, you're totally wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsWB8kw8Fw

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 am

Whiplash wrote:
harrisonosirrah wrote:

Nah, you're totally wrong:

What's your point? I'm not watching a whole episode of Dragon Ball Z just to point out that it's a cartoon and not real. And if you're joking, I guess I don't get it.

Gravity depends on the mass of the planet. So I suppose you could have a super-small, super-dense planet with high gravity. But in our universe, my guess would be that is far from the norm.

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 am

harrisonosirrah wrote:I'm not watching a whole episode of Dragon Ball Z just to point out that it's a cartoon and not real.

Haha. Well, pointing out that it's not real is already good enough. :) Yes, I was making a joke by that example, but your argument still doesn't have to be respected. Anyway, even in our own universe smaller planets can have higher gravity. So, such a small planet can be assumed (at least in theory). Once GRIP creates such a planet, NASA could be motivated to give the same name to a similar one once they discover it. :P

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 pm

harrisonosirrah wrote:

That's why Whiplash said it was a small planet with high gravity.
Think of a black hole, but with less density (just enough density to have a high gravitational pull though).
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Look, I'm not trying to start some physics debate. I am just pointing out that in most situations where a planet is small enough to travel around in a lap, the gravity would be very low. If it was explained another way, like with some artificial gravity, that would make sense.

I said before, I like the idea. I would just prefer if it had some explanation.

And when Whiplash said it had high gravity, I got the impression that he thought it was a given and a scientific fact (due to his uber-geek emot).

But realistically, I don't think it should have higher or lower gravity than the rest of he tracks or worlds. I would prefer consistency in handling between races than a cool gimmicky effect for one race.

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 pm

harrisonosirrah wrote:But realistically, I don't think it should have higher or lower gravity than the rest of he tracks or worlds. I would prefer consistency in handling between races than a cool gimmicky effect for one race.

Yeah, same. Handling should depend on tracks' surface only. But even if that's respected, such a track could be made. Maybe it would be even more fun if the cars fly there more due to its small size.

Azurex
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Azurex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:30 pm

KazzyMac wrote:
Azurex wrote:I would love to see industrial-inspired track environments. Factories, foundries, industrial zones, etc.

Like Motorhead?

That was a good game.

Well, there's another game for my list. Didn't even know it existed

But yes, similar to that would be fantastic.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:00 am

Whiplash wrote:Nah, you're totally wrong:

Damn it, now you got me watching random episodes of Dragonball Z on Youtube! :lol:

Return to “Tracks”