Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Whiplash

Re: Environments

Postby Whiplash » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Tazeram wrote:Damn it, now you got me watching random episodes of Dragonball Z on Youtube! :lol:

Haha, I hardly stopped too. :)

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Honestly RCS2 had some pretty awesome environments. My all time favorite being skyway, but I would like to see some more things in the sky like something awesome like a floating city or maybe an actual highway in the sky with traffic. It would be cool to see something like an abandoned city on some cold planet where the buildings seem like they don't need a bunch of weaponized car's help to fall over. A city in general would be pretty cool to see. Of course the main focus is the mechanics of the games but this would be pretty damn awesome.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:13 am

I didn't like Skyway that much.

I mean, i used to like the tracks when i was younger as they were often about speed, and not too hard, so that gave me some relief if you were in a tournament, but then after a while i realised that they were a bit bland and i wanted more excitement. You never had any real background to them. It was always cloudy sky. The tracks were simplistic, so there wasn't that much opportunity for chaos or stunts, so i got bored of them quickly.

I think for a game like Grip, it might be even more bland in comparison to other settings.

What i'd really like to see is nice immersive environments like Deserts, Tundra, Meteor-like Planet like Lethiathan, Mars-like settings like Offworld, other planets with funky environments, indoor artificial environments like in Spaceships and Underwater tunnels etc...

I realise a lot of these options take inspiration from Rollcage also, but those environments were so good.

The trailer already has a Desert-based track, so that's go me excited. :D

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 am

- How about having a track with a lot of dirt where cars can stuck and struggle (not too much like in Spintires) to get out? I'm already seeing a lot of mud being all over the screen. :twisted:
- And how about to have a bit "open-world" track where you have tons of different driving lines to chose and obstacles + terrains to overcome? ;)

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Tazeram wrote:I didn't like Skyway that much.
I mean, i used to like the tracks when i was younger as they were often about speed, and not too hard, so that gave me some relief if you were in a tournament, but then after a while i realised that they were a bit bland and i wanted more excitement. You never had any real background to them. It was always cloudy sky. The tracks were simplistic, so there wasn't that much opportunity for chaos or stunts, so i got bored of them quickly.

True but now it's possible to add more stuff into the scenery like more background objects to it so it's not just bland gray sky but with awesome floating stuff. Like having a floating city or highways in the skies. When it comes to track design, I would hope for something that is speedy but better than the original skyway tracks.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 pm

yellowquiet wrote:
Tazeram wrote:I didn't like Skyway that much.

True but now it's possible to add more stuff into the scenery like more background objects to it so it's not just bland gray sky but with awesome floating stuff. Like having a floating city or highways in the skies. When it comes to track design, I would hope for something that is speedy but better than the original skyway tracks.

A Skyway-style track could work even without lots of stuff. So long as the track itself is designed properly to convey a sense of speed. Signs, arches, pillars, lights, all these could be part of the actual track but still give you a reference point. Once we destroy them though?....I'm not so sure. But if all else fails some beautifully rendered clouds should work quite well.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 am

Not to mention that Skyway tracks were actually long, at least compared to some of the Outworld/Ventura or RC1 maps. Kinda like Skid Pan, come to think of it. I don't get why people say Skid Pan is hard.

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Whiplash wrote: And how about to have a bit "open-world" track where you have tons of different driving lines to chose and obstacles + terrains to overcome? ;)

I like the idea of a really open arena area with obstacles all over the place to show off the physics Rob's been working with.

Right now the car handles f**king great
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 am

I would like to see:

Lava world - driving above lava or on it, and when the car slows down the car drowns
Skyworld - there is nothing more exciting then driving 700km/h above clouds
Space - magnetic roads where its easy to fell out from it (maybe something with black holes into such env.?)
underwater - tracks which with enough destruction causes water leak and drown the track
destroyed sand city - sand world with cities torn apart
Enviromental hell - track in which every lap there is a different catastrophical event (sandstorms, huricanes, tornadoes, vulcano explosion etc.)

Here is My quote from gamemode topic

0Blueaura wrote:Hazardous Elimination tracks - tracks with implemented environmental hazards. 1st car that cross the line and begin His last lap, the map becomes hostile overtime and if players doesn't cross finish line in time, they die, and their last position in the race is their position on leaderboard

I talked about it in Environmental topic section of this forum, and the Enviroments that could use this gamemode are:

Waterworld (drowning the level)
Space (blackhole passing through the track, meteor crashing on it)
Lavaworld (vulcano eruption)
Exotic planet (sandstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes and other types of danger, randomly choosen by the game)

The gamemode could potentially have a possibility to change the track roads, making it completely different.

I know it's hard to implement some of these in the game, but as you progress into making full fledged team I wish you best of everything.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:41 am

0Blueaura wrote:Lava world - driving above lava or on it, and when the car slows down the car drowns
Space - magnetic roads where its easy to fell out from it (maybe something with black holes into such env.?)
underwater - tracks which with enough destruction causes water leak and drown the track
Enviromental hell - track in which every lap there is a different catastrophical event (sandstorms, huricanes, tornadoes, vulcano explosion etc.)

Sounds interesting enough, but most people don't like it if there is something which forces them to respawn
Lava would be an awesome scenery, thats for sure, and a few lava rivers flowing over the track would be awesome

The underwater world would be awesome in every way except the drowning
I imagine it more like small cracks appearing and small spouts of water rain on the track
That would leave small puddles which splash as you drive over them

Sand: leave it, that idea is awesome! :D

Space would be interesting as long as you can keep cars from falling into the void

And the hell track, i would like to see that implementing different biomes and their effect

Nice ideas, keep them coming
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:51 am

landvaarder wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:Lava world - driving above lava or on it, and when the car slows down the car drowns

Sounds interesting enough, but most people don't like it if there is something which forces them to respawn
Lava would be an awesome scenery, thats for sure, and a few lava rivers flowing over the track would be awesome

The underwater world would be awesome in every way except the drowning
I imagine it more like small cracks appearing and small spouts of water rain on the track
That would leave small puddles which splash as you drive over them

Sand: leave it, that idea is awesome! :D

Space would be interesting as long as you can keep cars from falling into the void

And the hell track, i would like to see that implementing different biomes and their effect

Nice ideas, keep them coming

Thanks for reply. The thing about respawning is true, that is frustrating at some point but little to zero hazard on track makes it a waste of env IN MY OPINION (obviously), and the point of rollcage is to screw your opponent as hard as you can for your own advantage. I can see the power up "slow-mo" makes cars drown in lava etc. I just love hurting people in racing games :twisted: (like in motorstorm series).

Also, respawning could be less frustrating if done correctly (make you respawn with certain speed etc.)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:27 am

Yeah, although there was re-spawning in Rollcage Stage 2 in the 'Skyway' and 'Leviathan' tracks, for some reason i feel that i don't want any hazard which require you to re-spawn in Grip. Hazards would seem too obtrusive and annoying, and i'm not sure why, but i just don't want edges to a map where you fall. Makes it seem a little cheap.
Last edited by Tazeram on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:49 am

Tazeram wrote:Yeah, although there was re-spawning in Rollcage Stage 2 in the 'Skyway' and 'Leviathan' tracks, for some reason i feel that i don't want any hazard which require you to re-spawn in Grip. Not sure why, just don't want edges to a map where you fall. Makes it seem a little cheap.

Cheap? I'm not against your opinion, but forcing enemy to fall from a cliff or detonate a bomb and watch them fly away seems cool to Me :D.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 pm

I think it is just the idea that there are edges to a track which you just drop from and magically "pop" back onto the track.

It wasn't so bad for Rollcage as a PS1 game, but Grip?...

I'm not sure what i don't like about it... i am kinda going by instinctive feeling in this sense...

i am probably very open to changing my mind if we ending up playing and it appears some track dynamics are cool and really work with re-spawning. Don't worry, i'm not stubborn. :lol:
Last edited by Tazeram on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Tazeram wrote:I'm not sure what i don't like about it which i feel doesn't quite Grips military feel necessarily... i am kinda going by instinctive feeling in this sense...

True that, I wish as much as I can for GRIP to have a grim, dark and creepy atmosphere, that's because "competetive tournaments" and "motorstorm apocalypse comedy" Is what I hate the most.

In FUEL, I loved the fact that You have to survive and the world become a bad place where Environment can kill You out of nowhere.

Imagine driving on a track when suddenly a random event appears and a set of tornadoes are on the way to the track, no time to prepare, You know the track will change and You really have to fight to win.

About the *popping*... :lol: That's funny, but I wasn't thinking about doing something like that. I though about something like Car explosion and cyber re-formation on track (or simply glowing light while the car teleports). Of course, respawning with speed as I mentioned earlier, so that doesn't become a frustration after some deaths.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:51 am

0Blueaura wrote:I wasn't thinking about doing something like that. I though about something like Car explosion and cyber re-formation on track.

This made me imagine Grip cars being like 'Galvatron' from that new Transformers movie. The highway scene, specifically. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QIEcF2mvIY

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:18 pm

There's a big divide between people who want outside elements affecting the race and people who don't.
I think crazy natural disasters would be cool, but if they affected the core gameplay too much then we wouldn't put them in.

That said, we probably won't have the budget for implementing things like that. We're focusing on the core game and then branching out with stretch goals in the Kickstarter.

As for environments, we've got 4 really different planets in mind, and then I've got some ideas for orbital races that would be fun.

@0Blue: Some things like lava and underwater sections sound really cool, but it all comes down to time and money in the end, unfortunately :/
Game Director
GRIP

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Chris_CE wrote:As for environments, we've got 4 really different planets in mind, and then I've got some ideas for orbital races that would be fun.

Does that include the joke environment you posted on the Facebook page? Purple landscape FTW! :lol:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Chris_CE wrote:That said, we probably won't have the budget for implementing things like that. We're focusing on the core game and then branching out with stretch goals in the Kickstarter.

It is indeed a big thing to put in the game, but I cross fingers for You that your Kickstarter campaign will blow up with money and it won't be the problem here.

Also if the game will be advertised in the right way, off We go. Wish you good luck. I hope My dream come true ! :lol:

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:53 pm

I've been playing single-player mode in RC2 and I realised something. Since beginning on the forum I was talking about those "spooky natural disasters" and while playing single-player first 4 leagues are named:

- Typhoon
- Hurricane
- Tornado
- Cyclone.

Also If I remember correctly You could have meteors falling on some of the outworld tracks.

Was Rollcage supposed to have natural disasters in the first place?, I was wondering, maybe it got scrapped out due to gameplay, or Consoles/PC at that time.

Return to “Tracks”