Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Environments

Postby Roq » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:13 pm

landvaarder wrote:
Roq wrote:I'd be up for an old destroyed 21st century city to race on. Ruins of Old-New York, Post Apocalypse London etc... This goes in hand with my post in grip gen thread about having some scale for the cars. but besides that though, it would be cool to race these machines around some contemporary scenery, albeit with a twist.

Don't get your hopes up for races on earth.
According to the lore, they went to places with LOW authority, so going to the human home world would be like painting a giant target on yourself and shout "come and get me!".
So I don't really see anything happening on earth... (would be cool though... just saying...)

Indeed, but I had the idea that it would mimic underground racers - a sub-culture that exists in our own world despite that big target. I also assume that the guys 'n' grrrls that drive these cars are very much adrenaline and risk junkies of the highest order. That being so, I have no problem with the racers taking it back to earth to hold a race right under the noses of the authorities. A fact that could also make for some interesting hazards with said authorities trying to stop the race with chase cars and weapons, not to mention all the inherent risks of racing in ruins.

All that being said, if the lore of the game flat out prohibits it (meaning the devs want more exotic worlds), then ok. It was just a thing I thought would be cool.

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Roq wrote:
landvaarder wrote:
Roq wrote:I'd be up for an old destroyed 21st century city to race on. Ruins of Old-New York, Post Apocalypse London etc... This goes in hand with my post in grip gen thread about having some scale for the cars. but besides that though, it would be cool to race these machines around some contemporary scenery, albeit with a twist.

Don't get your hopes up for races on earth.
According to the lore, they went to places with LOW authority, so going to the human home world would be like painting a giant target on yourself and shout "come and get me!".
So I don't really see anything happening on earth... (would be cool though... just saying...)

Indeed, but I had the idea that it would mimic underground racers - a sub-culture that exists in our own world despite that big target. I also assume that the guys 'n' grrrls that drive these cars are very much adrenaline and risk junkies of the highest order. That being so, I have no problem with the racers taking it back to earth to hold a race right under the noses of the authorities. A fact that could also make for some interesting hazards with said authorities trying to stop the race with chase cars and weapons, not to mention all the inherent risks of racing in ruins.

All that being said, if the lore of the game flat out prohibits it (meaning the devs want more exotic worlds), then ok. It was just a thing I thought would be cool.

seriously, have you just described the last few Need for Speed games? :D
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:22 am

I don't play any other racers so I have no idea :P

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:45 am

last few NFS games were like... you are the illegal racer, participating in races right under the nose of authorities. you have some weapons, like EMP and stuff. since the games were made by Criterion (guys behind Burnout), you were able to destroy your opponents. many times, cops ambushed the race and you were racing and fighting not only with your opponents, but also with cops. everything right here, on Earth :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsKHweFi7AU
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:51 am

the-GURU-man wrote:last few NFS games were like... you are the illegal racer, participating in races right under the nose of authorities. you have some weapons, like EMP and stuff. since the games were made by Criterion (guys behind Burnout), you were able to destroy your opponents. many times, cops ambushed the race and you were racing and fighting not only with your opponents, but also with cops. everything right here, on Earth :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsKHweFi7AU

Don't forget about the part where you drive super cars.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:59 pm

Roq wrote:Indeed, but I had the idea that it would mimic underground racers - a sub-culture that exists in our own world despite that big target. I also assume that the guys 'n' grrrls that drive these cars are very much adrenaline and risk junkies of the highest order. That being so, I have no problem with the racers taking it back to earth to hold a race right under the noses of the authorities. A fact that could also make for some interesting hazards with said authorities trying to stop the race with chase cars and weapons, not to mention all the inherent risks of racing in ruins.

You should read the story section of our site, I think you'd enjoy it: http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/#story

We've got a bunch of backstory outlining the underground league and authority trying to shut it down.

Also, the Orbital Prime tracks are pretty much improvised courses that the GRIP racers created by crashing the planet and smashing through the city. I'm really excited to start making those.

I think having a track through some ruins of old cities would be awesome. Maybe through Toronto :P
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
I think having a track through some ruins of old cities would be awesome. Maybe through Toronto :P

Through Poland! Through Poland!! xD
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm

WROB3L wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:

Through Poland! Through Poland!! xD

yeah, we are already old and ruined
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:53 am

Going to post an idea I would like to be implemented on the ice planet:

Ice sheets with less traction.
Not saying it should be done right before or in a regular corner (if this would be wanted then the corners would need to be specifically designed)
I would like to see cars sliding around on a straight way on say an ice lake.
That would be something to see!
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Environments:

The Core

I'd like to see a race through a power station with electrical pylons all over the place creating electrical currents that stream around the environment and conduct along the cars as they get close. Think something like the Death Star core - while the cars hammer around the central cylinder wall of a reactor, the core fusion reactor is streaming out plasma to the cars giving them a boost or messing with them, or just exploding cars off the wall (probably a bit to RNG for fair racing but meh, could be fun). Maybe if enough cars take out a core, it powers down a part of the track either forcing new roots or just messing with the lead of the race while the power boots back up letting those lagging behind a small amount of time to catch up. Style would be sleek metal look with cool lighting from electricity and plasma streams.

The Grave Yard

Track formed by junked machinery and vehicles making up the walls with weak stacks of crushed cars that can be smashed through forming short-cuts. Conveyor belts that can be raced on but sometimes rotate counter to the direction of the race to screw with handling and speed. Industrial robots dropping junkers on to the track causing explosions and crash hazards and ramp like surfaces. Maybe a molten area where the yard melt stuff down and crushers like those revolving spiked cylinders that mash stuff up could be hazards to jump over. Industrial/sewer piping forms walls and ceiling areas for inverted racing. Style and colours would be dark browns and molten reds/yellows with burning wrecks and lots of sparks at night.

Tundra City/Harbour

Old abandoned city buried in post ice-age tundra. For this I'm just thinking of a high wind ice area where the snow and ice have formed massive angled spikes of ice that form natural curved surfaces to race on. Imagine a wind swept sand dune, but with ice forming over the lip of the dune. Then I had the idea to break it up with a city half buried with massive snow drifts making natural ramps up the sides of destroyed buildings with ice forming bridges across roof tops. Just thought it would look cool with massive ships sticking up out of the iced over ocean/harbour area to race on/through. Style would be harsh cold blue broken up with colour here and there from the objects buried.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 pm

@Roq
All of those environments sound pretty damn awesome and the last two would fit grip really well I think.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 pm

0Blueaura wrote:yeah, we are already old and ruined

I lol'd at this but feel like kind of an asshole for doing so.

landvaarder wrote:Ice sheets with less traction.
Not saying it should be done right before or in a regular corner (if this would be wanted then the corners would need to be specifically designed)
I would like to see cars sliding around on a straight way on say an ice lake.
That would be something to see!

You know how much I hate slippery roads in Rollcage :p

A partially frozen lake for an arena would be pretty funny, with cars sliding around shooting each other.

Roq wrote:Environments:

The first two environments have great ideas but not all that easy to implement. Well, with the right resources they are, but for a small team like us they're a stretch. That's not to say some similar ideas can get into the game, but assets and events that are very much catered to a single track are hard to justify dumping resources into. But the idea of a junkyard could really fit into the Jahtra setting. Joe and are were talking about a spaceship graveyard at one point. Also, you mentioned a relation to the Death Star. Orbital Prime will have some tight areas with conjested architecture, where some of those ideas could apply. Maybe a small power plant in the middle of the city.

The last one though expresses some element's we're already discussing like big spikes of ice and wind swept, snow covered structures. Norvos is also a very stormy planet, so there'd be snow, ice shards and debris in the air. One thing I'm really looking forward to with Norvos is having destructible ice formations and some bored tunnels in and out of the landscape. Your comment about massive ships reminds me a bit of Crysis Warhead's frozen section with the ships stuck in the ice.
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:21 am

this looks kinda cool as an env.

some of the nfs 3 hidden tracks has good ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xiqu-GFNRQ

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:27 pm

I loved NFS3 so much.

Liddo 5 is a research planet, essentially, so it could work (at least in the lore) to have an underwater facility that studies aquatic life
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 pm

What about a lava environment? Like in Jahtra, they over mined an area and lava started spewing out from the ground. That would add some nice variety.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 am

yellowquiet wrote:What about a lava environment? Like in Jahtra, they over mined an area and lava started spewing out from the ground. That would add some nice variety.

We have talked about that when there was a big discussion about how much hazardous tracks should be. I think they have a lava planet/area in mind.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Lava is used a lot in games, but that doesn't mean we can't. I love me some lava.

We'll see
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 am

How about magnetic roads? It doesn't need to be a "Sky" enviroment or a whole track like that, but I would like to make 90 degree turn down into a sandhole and then go back up (or just do some crazy rolls and such).

I though about it since new Trackmania will have something like this:

HERE

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:26 am

who needs magnets when you have down force and high speed lol :D
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am

tjgcrush wrote:who needs magnets when you have down force and high speed lol :D

tell that to trackmania where cars with enough boost drive 1000 km/h and doesn't have a down force :lol:

I know cars in rollcage does, but what i meant from magnetic roads is to make something that they cannot do, like turning 90 deegre down in less then a second or so. (as I mentioned earlier with video example from TM)

Return to “Tracks”