Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Environments

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 pm

0Blueaura wrote:I've been playing single-player mode in RC2 and I realised something. Since beginning on the forum I was talking about those "spooky natural disasters" and while playing single-player first 4 leagues are named:

- Typhoon
- Hurricane
- Tornado
- Cyclone.

Also If I remember correctly You could have meteors falling on some of the outworld tracks.

Was Rollcage supposed to have natural disasters in the first place?, I was wondering, maybe it got scrapped out due to gameplay, or Consoles/PC at that time.

Rollcage has natural disasters. Just check out on Frontier, you can have meteors falling on the track.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Also, rc2 has the Helix track where there are lightnings in the spiral section.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also, rc2 has the Helix track where there are lightnings in the spiral section.

I'm pretty sure that's Power Surge. It had some sort of giant Tesla Coil in there.
sus

nakano

Postby nakano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 am

Regarding environments I hope those are destructable. Remember well from Rollcage intro where Tony destroys building. Then add some terrain effects like icy road. What I disliked from Rollcage Stage 2 was tracks where you could drive yourself out of track into the space. So rather not to have this kind of environments/track design.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:42 am

nakano wrote:What I disliked from Rollcage Stage 2 was tracks where you could drive yourself out of track into the space. So rather not to have this kind of environments/track design.

Who would like flying of a cliff? if its not an enemy? I get your point but simply.

GIT GUD 8-)
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 am

nakano wrote:What I disliked from Rollcage Stage 2 was tracks where you could drive yourself out of track into the space. So rather not to have this kind of environments/track design.
Falling off wasn't a huge issue on most of the tracks. There was one leviathan track where it was rather easy to fall off but that was it. Every other track was about managing speed around corners.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:39 pm

You should definitely be able to fall of the track. I mean if not, you would need to place everywhere invisible walls to prevent players from going out of bounds and that would be lame for a new game like grip.
The only question is how you let the cars respawn. (invincibility? starting speed? animation?)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Tiakh wrote:The only question is how you let the cars respawn. (invincibility? starting speed? animation?)

We've been already talking about it. Either from white flash with enough speed to be fair, or cyber reformation in air, drop on ground and with fair speed

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 pm

Tiakh wrote:You should definitely be able to fall of the track. I mean if not, you would need to place everywhere invisible walls to prevent players from going out of bounds and that would be lame for a new game like grip.

I think the argument was that there would be no tracks which had drops into the abyss to begin with (Such as 'Leviathan tracks which drop into space and Skyway tracks which drop from the sky), so you wouldn't need to programme in a teleport feature.

Obviously, if you're good at the game then you are less likely to lose control and drop off into the abyss, but regardless, there is always people firing weapons at you and ramming you.

It's not so much that it's annoying, i just prefer tracks in the centre of solid ground, with a visually pleasing landscape going off into the horizon.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Tazeram wrote:
Tiakh wrote:You should definitely be able to fall of the track. I mean if not, you would need to place everywhere invisible walls to prevent players from going out of bounds and that would be lame for a new game like grip.

I think the argument was that there would be no tracks which had drops into the abyss to begin with (Such as 'Leviathan tracks which drop into space and Skyway tracks which drop from the sky), so you wouldn't need to programme in a teleport feature.

Obviously, if you're good at the game then you are less likely to lose control and drop off into the abyss, but regardless, there is always people firing weapons at you and ramming you.

It's not so much that it's annoying, i just prefer tracks in the centre of solid ground, with a visually pleasing landscape going off into the horizon.

NO fun in that :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:37 pm

The only question is how you let the cars respawn. (invincibility? starting speed? animation?)

Yeah, that's why having track barriers is a good idea, really.
Respawn in this game just seems... wrong?

My vision is to have some really wide open areas where you aren't restricted, but the edges have barriers. This isn't an open world RPG, it's a racing game, you shouldn't be trying to explore the map.

Haven't really thought about being able to fall of edges or cliffs. Wouldn't that be frustrating more than anything?
Game Director
GRIP

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Chris_CE wrote:

Yeah, that's why having track barriers is a good idea, really.
Respawn in this game just seems... wrong?

My vision is to have some really wide open areas where you aren't restricted, but the edges have barriers. This isn't an open world RPG, it's a racing game, you shouldn't be trying to explore the map.

Haven't really thought about being able to fall of edges or cliffs. Wouldn't that be frustrating more than anything?

How about having multiple tracks per environment with sections that are shared between them?

Think Wipeout Fusion, there were several routes per environment with the track sharing certain common bits that then branched off for the specific routes (with the rest barrier'd off). Blur did this too. Would be interesting and probably a slightly easier way to fit more tracks into the worlds? Or would the maps become too big for loading?

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Wouldn't that be frustrating more than anything?

Proper respawning and its not a problem

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:32 am

0Blueaura wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:Wouldn't that be frustrating more than anything?

Proper respawning and its not a problem

But respawning is not really in adequation with the lore.. I agree that cars in GRIP are very futuristic, but having a teleporter to bring them automatically on the ground when falling ? That sounds too magical for me.

On the other hand, the first WipEout game (i do not know about the others) has a little drone that takes your pod back to the track when it falls. But you lose time then, and it's frustrating.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 am

I get it, but in every game there is thing that cannot be described more then just a gameplay mechanism, not everything must be set to lore.

I never said that we should have a magical colorful poof and we're on track, I said earlier what respawning Idea I had.

Also, I talk about those stuff because there is less then zero games with interactive tracks, and Grip has potential for that.
Last edited by 0Blueaura on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

nakano

Postby nakano » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Yes the argument was for falling into the space similarly to the Leviathan track mentioned. Nothing against in falling off a cliff and being able to drive out of there, but rather no teleportation.

I can make an exception for arena mode though. It would actually be pretty cool to see a circle-shaped track where is a pit in the middle. You could push cars there and get points or those who fall into the pit get minus points. Either way works.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 am

nakano wrote:Yes the argument was for falling into the space similarly to the Leviathan track mentioned. Nothing against in falling off a cliff and being able to drive out of there, but rather no teleportation.

I can make an exception for arena mode though. It would actually be pretty cool to see a circle-shaped track where is a pit in the middle. You could push cars there and get points or those who fall into the pit get minus points. Either way works.

actually that is an idea, if drowning the level, drowning in lava or dropping from high cliffs/into space affects core gameplay too much, lets use this idea for arena mode.

just make sure we can see our cars flying away and getting destroyed in some cinematic camera like style :lol:

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:22 am

imo, falling of the track and respawing always slows down the gameplay and frustrates, specialy in games with weapons where an unlucky hit could sent you flying off the track and cost even more time (everyone who played Mario Kart will know what i mean...)

and about "invislbe walls":
you could always excuse them by having an "energy shield" around the track that keeps cars from flying off (if that fits within grips universe).
ad a little animation when hitting an invis. wall and you are fine ;)

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:19 am

Yrch wrote:imo, falling of the track and respawing always slows down the gameplay and frustrates, specialy in games with weapons where an unlucky hit could sent you flying off the track and cost even more time (everyone who played Mario Kart will know what i mean...)

and about "invislbe walls":
you could always excuse them by having an "energy shield" around the track that keeps cars from flying off (if that fits within grips universe).
ad a little animation when hitting an invis. wall and you are fine ;)

Like the barrier effect on Rollcage/Stage II? Yeah, they should do that. Though probably a better effect, maybe like a hexagonal/octagonal laser-grid effect that only appears when something hits it?

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:29 pm

nakano wrote:Regarding environments I hope those are destructable. Remember well from Rollcage intro where Tony destroys building. Then add some terrain effects like icy road. What I disliked from Rollcage Stage 2 was tracks where you could drive yourself out of track into the space. So rather not to have this kind of environments/track design.

Yes I found this aspect quite annoying. If it is in Grip I say only one track that has this and it being placed in strategical positions.
I do hope there is a type of Skyway course in Grip.
PS: Grip needs a course like this
rollcage-stage-ii.jpg
rollcage-stage-ii.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 8166 times

Return to “Tracks”