Environments

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: Environments

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 am

Those that cry over falling into space are those that shouldn't even play Fight racing games at all :lol:

Get over it, git gud.

About those skyway tracks, Yeah, I wish that tracks could be very long in terms of length and height (very fast as well)

Learn that respawning can be not rage inducing and hazardous tracks can be very exciting if you know how to drive (and if the respawning is done properly. We've been talking about it for 1.5 of sites in this thread)
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:09 am

0Blueaura wrote:Those that cry over falling into space are those that shouldn't even play Fight racing games at all :lol:

Get over it, git gud.

It's not about getting good or being frustrated ; it's just that a respawn breaks the pace of the game. In Rollcage 1, if you f*ck up, you end up somewhere near a wall and you have to drive all your way back ; but that's part of the race. In Rollcage Stage 2, when you f*ck up and fall, you respawn. It's as if your previous path was just cancelled.

No matter how the respawn is done, you have to respawn, and this breaks the pace of the game by "cancelling" what you've done before falling.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:36 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:Those that cry over falling into space are those that shouldn't even play Fight racing games at all :lol:

Get over it, git gud.

It's not about getting good or being frustrated ; it's just that a respawn breaks the pace of the game. In Rollcage 1, if you f*ck up, you end up somewhere near a wall and you have to drive all your way back ; but that's part of the race. In Rollcage Stage 2, when you f*ck up and fall, you respawn. It's as if your previous path was just cancelled.

No matter how the respawn is done, you have to respawn, and this breaks the pace of the game by "cancelling" what you've done before falling.

You know actually? to have both those that wants respawn and those that not, thing that could makes us all happy would be elimination gamemode in which you race but when you fall you die. those maps could have be separate from the one with barriers and walls around.

Elimination gamemode, but with tracks with no barriers.

Or maybe, no separate tracks, but the same tracks as if you play normal race, but with barriers deleted?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 am

0Blueaura wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

Get over it, git gud.

You know actually? to have both those that wants respawn and those that not, thing that could makes us all happy would be elimination gamemode in which you race but when you fall you die. those maps could have be separate from the one with barriers and walls around.

Or maybe, no separate tracks, but the same tracks as if you play normal race, but with barriers deleted?

I like the idea of such an elimination gamemode in something like a Superbowlesque track
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:42 pm

This talk about Elimination mode just made me realise "Arena mode" wouldn't have to be just limited between two people. There could be multiple options. Classic '1 vs 1' to reach the most points in a given time frame, but also multi-player Arena mode which could work either the same way, or also work in a fasion in which the person with the lowest score after every given time frame gets eliminated until the last man standing.

Perhaps for some Arenas, falling off the map could be part of this, thus combining this ideas of 'Elimination mode' and 'Arena Mode' together... or expanding upon those who want destructibility of the vehicles in Arena mode, it could be last man standing with a functioning car, where other players were either destroyed by too much damage or were blown off the track in some way... obviously, this shouldn't be made too easy to hit someone off the track otherwise that would be too easy to eliminate some people early on.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:34 pm

0Blueaura wrote:You know actually? to have both those that wants respawn and those that not, thing that could makes us all happy would be elimination gamemode in which you race but when you fall you die. those maps could have be separate from the one with barriers and walls around.

This sounds like a great party-type game mode. 4 player split screen trying to knock each other off the edge.

Maybe just parts of the track could have areas where you can fall off and get eliminated

Tazeram wrote:This talk about Elimination mode just made me realise "Arena mode" wouldn't have to be just limited between two people. There could be multiple options. Classic '1 vs 1' to reach the most points in a given time frame, but also multi-player Arena mode which could work either the same way, or also work in a fasion in which the person with the lowest score after every given time frame gets eliminated until the last man standing.

Perhaps for some Arenas, falling off the map could be part of this, thus combining this ideas of 'Elimination mode' and 'Arena Mode' together... or expanding upon those who want destructibility of the vehicles in Arena mode, it could be last man standing with a functioning car, where other players were either destroyed by too much damage or were blown off the track in some way... obviously, this shouldn't be made too easy to hit someone off the track otherwise that would be too easy to eliminate some people early on.

Quick matches can be a good thing too, though. Just look at Rocket League.

Arena mode is something I'd really like to see be implmented in GRIP because other modes would be able to fall into place. We'd use or improve upon features or mechanics that have already been created for Arena

So really, doing Arena mode would most certainly mean other modes would be included as well. Elmination (last car driving) for sure
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:33 am

I've come up with an idea, maybe create a 1 or 2 minute action cut-scene for all the environments player go into for the first time? little eye-candy for players to see what awaits them

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:32 am

0Blueaura wrote:I've come up with an idea, maybe create a 1 or 2 minute action cut-scene for all the environments player go into for the first time? little eye-candy for players to see what awaits them

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Also reminds me of some old skool racers.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 am

0Blueaura wrote:I've come up with an idea, maybe create a 1 or 2 minute action cut-scene for all the environments player go into for the first time? little eye-candy for players to see what awaits them

Yeah, good idea! Or at least just a nice high view of the track, and then the camera drops down to the road with the perspectives from the car ready to race.

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 am

Respawns and warping could definetly be done better. I hate when I use the teleport item and I just end up flying off into space. I think this problem could be coded around, skyway isn't the problem.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:31 pm

A fly-by or some kind of intro to each track would be cool, yeah. As long as it's skippable.

By the way, if we have any intro videos for when you launch the actual game, you bet your ass that those will all be skippable. I hate having to sit through those every time you run a game.
Game Director
GRIP

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Chris_CE wrote:A fly-by or some kind of intro to each track would be cool, yeah. As long as it's skippable.

This will need to take into account multiplayer. You will surely have to wait at the starting line for THAT GUY who is still looking at the track's cinematic.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:14 pm

0Blueaura talked about the cutscene only appearing on the first time players load an enviroment (and you could re-use it in a gallery or if the player idles too long at the start screen).

@Chris_CE about skippeable intros: thank god :')

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:23 pm

I've come up with a scheme for the cutscenes:

-First shot is the planet from up in space slowly moving towards it
-then the camera flashes multiple times showing multiple areas
-then the dnb beat drops in with fast-paced action of cars fighting with each other
-multiple cameras showing the environment collapsing in multiple places
-finishing with the camera shot in space moving slowly away from the planet, fade out and showing of the planets icon (if there will be one)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm

I think that's too much, personally.

I opt for the idea that the camera pans across three notable parts of the track for like three seconds each, and then the camera then moves to the start of the race. That way it is quick and thus doesn't have to be skippable.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:47 am

Tazeram wrote:That way it is quick and thus doesn't have to be skippable.

We talk about new planet that we discover/play for the first time.

My idea wasn't about the cutscene that plays everytime we load a track/new track, just new planet etc.

then such thing could be re-watched in gallery etc.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Ah, i see! Well yeah, perhaps it could be an "Extras" kinda feature that you can access in the menu.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:52 pm

Cool idea 0Blue. Those kinds of detailed intros could be included in the final game
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:45 pm

I'd be up for an old destroyed 21st century city to race on. Ruins of Old-New York, Post Apocalypse London etc... This goes in hand with my post in grip gen thread about having some scale for the cars. but besides that though, it would be cool to race these machines around some contemporary scenery, albeit with a twist.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Roq wrote:I'd be up for an old destroyed 21st century city to race on. Ruins of Old-New York, Post Apocalypse London etc... This goes in hand with my post in grip gen thread about having some scale for the cars. but besides that though, it would be cool to race these machines around some contemporary scenery, albeit with a twist.

Don't get your hopes up for races on earth.
According to the lore, they went to places with LOW authority, so going to the human home world would be like painting a giant target on yourself and shout "come and get me!".
So I don't really see anything happening on earth... (would be cool though... just saying...)
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Return to “Tracks”